• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Britain, British Empire, United kingdom, etc ----- Never Could Keep Them Straight. So . . . .

Skwim

Veteran Member

I looked 'em up and decided to share.

British Empire.png

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Nah. I didn't grow up in the British Empire. My neck of the woods was out long before 1997...

Skwim

Veteran Member
The city of London is a small part of London like a burrough is in NYC
So like when talking about New York City and people say New York, New York, it's perfectly fine to say London, London when talking about London City?

Do people actually say London, London?

Erebus

It can certainly get confusing but there's a very easy trick people can use if they're struggling to remember.

Just head into any Dublin pub and shout, "So you lot are all English, right?"

They'll explain things to you in a way you aren't likely to forget.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So like when talking about New York City and people say New York, New York, it's perfectly fine to say London, London when talking about London City?

It's kind of like Beverly Hills and Hollywood are basically next to LA, but they aren't the same all though they are all a part of a single concrete ocean. Or Long Beach and Torrance being in the LA Metro area, but not actually being LA.

whirlingmerc

acco

they call it 'the City' captial C

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

No, I think they'd just say The City. But that could be a reference to Manchester City.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

London has a population of close to 9 million and covers an area of over 600 square miles

The City of London is the financial district and is just over 1 square mile (also known as the square mile). It was founded by the Romans.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Curiously, I found

800px-Greater_London_administrative_area_in_England.svg.png

Greater London county (red)
City of London (red & white stripes)
London region (both)

Question: in as much as there's a "Greater London" is there a Lesser London, something in between the City of London and Greater London?

The City of London
The City of London is also known as the Square Mile, the financial district and historic centre of London.

It is one of the 33 areas with local authority responsibilities into which London is divided. Administratively, London is divided into 32 boroughs and the City of London. Local authority services are provided by the City of London Corporation. The residential population of this small area is approximately 8,000 people. However, over 500,000 people commute into the City every day for work and over 10 million visit as tourists every year.

london-map.jpg

COOL!