• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gravity is Just a Theory

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They were both wrong. First, a pancake is both round and flat, so it's not a case of it being either flat or round. Secondly a globe is a sphere, not a round circle. He should have said, it's a sphere, or like a ball. But round? No, the king would have been right too then. The language of flat or round, is two-dimensional. Round is flat. :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
They were both wrong. First, a pancake is both round and flat, so it's not a case of it being either flat or round. Secondly a globe is a sphere, not a round circle. He should have said, it's a sphere, or like a ball. But round? No, the king would have been right too then.
It is rather clear from context that both are claiming general shapes, not specific ones. If you get all nit picky about it a simple hill refutes both a "Flat" Earth and s spherical one.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
1583001252125.png

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Besides, have I ever shown such a level of stupidity in any of my posts you might imagine I would take that seriously?

You haven't.

I think at first, I was scratching my head, but I may have confused you with another member - despite not really accusing you of anything. For that, I'm sorry.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is rather clear from context that both are claiming general shapes, not specific ones. If you get all nit picky about it a simple hill refutes both a "Flat" Earth and s spherical one.
Well that's true. But even a flat pancake has little air-bubble mountains on it, but is still considered flat. A circle technically is a disk, and flat-earthers see the earth as a flat disk, like a pancake.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You haven't.

I think at first, I was scratching my head, but I may have confused you with another member - despite not really accusing you of anything. For that, I'm sorry.
There is another member whose username looks a lot like mine, and you wouldn't be the first to confuse me with them. Hell, there are times I mistake their name as my own as people are quoting them, and then I see what "I" supposedly said, and then realize it's completely nothing I would think let alone say. "Oh, it's him they're talking to", I say. :)

The OP was from a page I found on FB called Terrible Maps. They have some really funny stuff on it.

Such as:

Top 12 states.jpg

exchemist

Veteran Member
You have NEVER addressed anything I've said or a single point. you gainsay, create straw armies, and move goal posts but mostly you lecture about what you believe. I suppose your thinking is you'll never lose an argument if you never engage in one.

The "theory of gravity" explains nothing and it didn't when Newton first started it.

This might be nitpicking but perhaps it should be pointed out that every experiment involving gravity is affected by gravity. Even when net gravity is too small to measure it is still affected by the tides imparted by the farthest most sun.

I said gravity isn't a theory.

Now you'll ignore every word in this post and lecture, gainsay, create straw armies, and move goal posts. Unless you respond to something I will ignore you.

I already said it is an observation!!!!

One unicorn plus one unicorn doesn't make two unicorns any more than one imaginary ramp plus one imaginary ramp make an imaginary pyramid built by sun addled bumpkins.
F= GMm/r² (Newton's Law of Gravitation) enables us to make all manner of predictions, which is what a scientific theory needs to do. We can use it to predict the motions of the planets, calculate the trajectories and energy requirements of spacecraft and plenty of other things besides. It doesn't work with 100% accuracy in all cases and for these we need Einstein's much more difficult but accurate model.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well that's true. But even a flat pancake has little air-bubble mountains on it, but is still considered flat. A circle technically is a disk, and flat-earthers see the earth as a flat disk, like a pancake.
I have never seen a model from the Flerfs. I have even seen some that claim that the Earth is on an infinite plane. Our Earth would be just a small part of it.

Audie

Veteran Member
Ridicule was not my intention. I'm explaining the dynamics of ridicule, why it isn't rooted in a place of productivity, and why people might feel the need to engage in it despite the fact that its outcomes are virtually never helpful.
Of course it was.
But it's OK. I don't like you either.

cladking

F= GMm/r² (Newton's Law of Gravitation) enables us to make all manner of predictions, which is what a scientific theory needs to do.

Yes, exactly as I said. Objects are observed to attract proportionally to their weight and the square of the distance.

A formula doesn't turn observation into a theory. I might agree with "law" as used in common parlance but then I don't believe nature obeys any laws.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They were both wrong. First, a pancake is both round and flat, so it's not a case of it being either flat or round. Secondly a globe is a sphere, not a round circle. He should have said, it's a sphere, or like a ball. But round? No, the king would have been right too then. The language of flat or round, is two-dimensional. Round is flat. :)

The King was correct in that Columbus' head was flat.

PruePhillip

Ah yes, we often a get a spot of Christmas trolling around this time, on science forums. :D

Let's remember one thing - the theory of gravity is far weirder than the theory of evolution.
It might be as weird as any future theory of time - indeed, they are linked.
Seems gravity theories get a refresh every couple of centuries.

We all should know gravity acts "downward" but let's be humble.

Audie

Veteran Member
Let's remember one thing - the theory of gravity is far weirder than the theory of evolution.
It might be as weird as any future theory of time - indeed, they are linked.
Seems gravity theories get a refresh every couple of centuries.

We all should know gravity acts "downward" but let's be humble.
ToE is weird?

PruePhillip

ToE is weird?

Yes, to people who don't understand it, evolution is weird.
But then we accept 'continental drift' now, when I was growing up it wasn't only 'weird' but dangerous - people lost their careers, tenure, reputation over this issue.
And how dinosaurs became birds, and how matter 'acquires' mass, and Young's double slit experiment etc are all 'weird.'