• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gravity is Just a Theory

Ella S.

Dispassionate Goth
Ridicule serves a purpose.

The only purpose ridicule serves is to make someone look like they're on a pedestal by knocking others down. It's only effective at making insecure people feel better about themselves while signalling to everyone else the depths of their ineptitude.

Colt

If you were to draw a vinn diagram with circles representing flat earthers, IDers/creationists, anti-vaxxers, and climate change deniers, the overlap would be an overwhelming proportion.
Y'all are cut from the same scientifically illiterate cloth.
I see atheists as mainly hecklers on the road of life. All the world is a stage, and the atheist is the chief critic. Thats the easy path, the spiritually lazy path. The flat earth stuff is just the low hanging fruit.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I see atheists as mainly hecklers on the road of life. All the world is a stage, and the atheist is the chief critic. Thats the easy path, the spiritually lazy path. The flat earth stuff is just the low hanging fruit.
There is an interesting pattern. The Flerfs are so low hanging that they are the pommes de terre of the debating world. YEC's are only slightly better at debate, OEC's are bit better yet, Those that believe in theistic evolution can only say "Yes, live evolved, but I believe that God guided it (even though there is quite a bit of evidence to the contrary) and eventually you have those that accept reality. And some of them are even theists. But rather few.

Audie

Veteran Member
The only purpose ridicule serves is to make someone look like they're on a pedestal by knocking others down. It's only effective at making insecure people feel better about themselves while signalling to everyone else the depths of their ineptitude.

So why are you ridiculing what I said

Ella S.

Dispassionate Goth
So why are you ridiculing what I said

Ridicule was not my intention. I'm explaining the dynamics of ridicule, why it isn't rooted in a place of productivity, and why people might feel the need to engage in it despite the fact that its outcomes are virtually never helpful.

cladking

I hate to break this to you but gravity isn't even an hypothesis much less a "theory".

It's more an observation.

If the earth were flat it really would empty the oceans right over the edge. Well, at least it would unless you defined "flat" such that it is about the same as we mean by "sphere".

Until we know why gravity works or the mechanisms by which it works there really isn't much more we can say than "observation suggests all matter attracts proportionally to its weight and the square of the distance". Putting an observation in arithmetic is not the same thing as theory or one unicorn plus one unicorn would equal two unicorns. It really doesn't matter if the so called theory of gravity exists or not since the planet is still spherical and was even before Newton got hit in the head. It doesn't make believers in science any more right than anyone else.

Believing in gravity and the "theory of gravity" makes them less right, not more.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I hate to break this to you but gravity isn't even an hypothesis much less a "theory".

It's more an observation.

If the earth were flat it really would empty the oceans right over the edge. Well, at least it would unless you defined "flat" such that it is about the same as we mean by "sphere".

Until we know why gravity works or the mechanisms by which it works there really isn't much more we can say than "observation suggests all matter attracts proportionally to its weight and the square of the distance". Putting an observation in arithmetic is not the same thing as theory or one unicorn plus one unicorn would equal two unicorns. It really doesn't matter if the so called theory of gravity exists or not since the planet is still spherical and was even before Newton got hit in the head. It doesn't make believers in science any more right than anyone else.

Believing in gravity and the "theory of gravity" makes them less right, not more.
Sorry, but no, Einstein's gravity follows all of the rules of being a theory. You won't find one rule that it does not follow. Even Newton's "laws" follow those rules. It was merely not as accurate as Einstein's theory.

I know, science denial is all that you ever appear to have. You seem to resent that when it is pointed out that you only have claims and never evidence to support you. When it comes to basic concepts Wikipedia is hard to beat:

"A scientific theory is an explanation of an aspect of the natural world and universe that has been repeatedly tested and corroborated in accordance with the scientific method, using accepted protocols of observation, measurement, and evaluation of results. Where possible, theories are tested under controlled conditions in an experiment.[1][2] In circumstances not amenable to experimental testing, theories are evaluated through principles of abductive reasoning. Established scientific theories have withstood rigorous scrutiny and embody scientific knowledge.[3]"

Scientific theory - Wikipedia

How is either Einstein's General Relativity or Newton's Universal law of gravitation not a theory?

Colt

There is an interesting pattern. The Flerfs are so low hanging that they are the pommes de terre of the debating world. YEC's are only slightly better at debate, OEC's are bit better yet, Those that believe in theistic evolution can only say "Yes, live evolved, but I believe that God guided it (even though there is quite a bit of evidence to the contrary) and eventually you have those that accept reality. And some of them are even theists. But rather few.
To claim that mind emerged from matter explains nothing. The atheist "belief" that mind invented itself is just as absurd as flat earth conspiracy.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
To claim that mind emerged from matter explains nothing. The atheist "belief" that mind invented itself is just as absurd as flat earth conspiracy.
Why? You cannot just claim something, you need evidence for your claim. You are trying to use an argument from ignorance here at best. That is a logical fallacy.

So why could the mind not have been the product of evolution?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
What on earth are you babbling about? Belief in god and acceptance of science aren't mutually exclusive.

cladking

You seem to resent that when it is pointed out that you only have claims and never evidence to support you.

You have NEVER addressed anything I've said or a single point. you gainsay, create straw armies, and move goal posts but mostly you lecture about what you believe. I suppose your thinking is you'll never lose an argument if you never engage in one.

A scientific theory is an explanation

The "theory of gravity" explains nothing and it didn't when Newton first started it.

theories are tested under controlled conditions in an experiment.[1][2]

This might be nitpicking but perhaps it should be pointed out that every experiment involving gravity is affected by gravity. Even when net gravity is too small to measure it is still affected by the tides imparted by the farthest most sun.

How is either Einstein's General Relativity or Newton's Universal law of gravitation not a theory?

I said gravity isn't a theory.

Now you'll ignore every word in this post and lecture, gainsay, create straw armies, and move goal posts. Unless you respond to something I will ignore you.

"Newton's Universal law of gravitation not a theory?"

I already said it is an observation!!!!

One unicorn plus one unicorn doesn't make two unicorns any more than one imaginary ramp plus one imaginary ramp make an imaginary pyramid built by sun addled bumpkins.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You have NEVER addressed anything I've said or a single point. you gainsay, create straw armies, and move goal posts but mostly you lecture about what you believe. I suppose your thinking is you'll never lose an argument if you never engage in one.

Really? I think that you are forgetting that I and others have refuted your claims so many times that all we need to do now is to remind you of that fact. But go ahead, make a clear statement where you support your beliefs properly. I will be glad to refute it again.

The "theory of gravity" explains nothing and it didn't when Newton first started it.

Really? You better tell that to the Apollo astronauts since they relied on Newton to get them to the Moon and back. Heck, the ISS also relies on Newton's Laws, and every time that you use a GPS you are confirming that Einstein was right. It appears that denial and gainsaying is what you do, not others.

This might be nitpicking but perhaps it should be pointed out that every experiment involving gravity is affected by gravity. Even when net gravity is too small to measure it is still affected by the tides imparted by the farthest most sun.

So what/? And yes, those gravitational effects are taken into consideration. That is why they set up the Cavendish experiment the way that they did. Your argument is nit picking because no scientist has ever claimed an absolute measurement. What they do is to limit those other forces so that they are weaker than one's margin of error. Margin of error will always be a real thing wich is one reason why theories are only provisionally true.

I said gravity isn't a theory.

Now you'll ignore every word in this post and lecture, gainsay, create straw armies, and move goal posts. Unless you respond to something I will ignore you.

No, that sounds like you again. When people say "Gravity is a theory" that is short for saying that Einstein's General Relativity is a theory on gravity. Or that Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation is a theory. If you do not understand colloquial English how are you going to understand more formal claims?

cladking

What they do is to limit those other forces so that they are weaker than one's margin of error.

Again you've ignored my argument so shouldn't respond at all. But to highlight your ignorance I'll point out you can not shield gravity or the tidal effects caused by Alpha Centauri and the butterflies in China.

It may be nitpicking but it is still a fact.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Again you've ignored my argument so shouldn't respond at all. But to highlight your ignorance I'll point out you can not shield gravity or the tidal effects caused by Alpha Centauri and the butterflies in China.

It may be nitpicking but it is still a fact.
No, you are the one that ignored an explanation. Yes, science cannot measure those incredibly small effects. That is why they are ignored.. You appear to wish that science was forever mired in the mud not able to advance one inch. Did you not see that I admitted that theories are taken to be provisionally true? Or did you you just not understand that phrase?

All you keep doing with these incredibly bad posts is confirm what others have said about you.

Once again, concepts in science are only taken to be provisionally true. But what one sees as science advances is that the exceptions to their theories are every shrinking. They are never quite zero, but you would not stand in front of a loaded gun and tell someone to shoot you just because the engineering of a bullet based upon scientific principals is only provisionally true. You would do anything not to get shot. As would almost everyone. Provisionally true means that you need to take ideas seriously,.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You discuss. I advanced beyond Grade 6, after which I lost my patience for such nonsense.
I'm not sure which is more humorous. That ridiculous image I found I thought was so funny I had to share, or the fact that so many took it seriously!

I mean seriously, this might have been the first clue here looking that post itself:

Capture.JPG

I think most people understood the nature of the post and got the joke, as you can clearly see. Besides, have I ever shown such a level of stupidity in any of my posts you might imagine I would take that seriously?