• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gravity is Just a Theory

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No point was made.

Except for this one here? Did you overlook my direct response?

But again, this is a site that deals with these questions of worldviews and beliefs. So my quotation is spot on pertinent, not cherry picking at all.
Anyone who uses atheism in the context of this site as their point of view on the question of God, is in fact dealing with the question of God as a belief. That makes it fit under the category of philosophy, not a psychological state, like not thinking of God makes that thought atheistic, or something. Did you read that article, or just not understand it?

"In philosophy, however, and more specifically in the philosophy of religion, the term “atheism” is standardly used to refer to the proposition that God does not exist"
On RF, it asks what your religion is, and you specifically list atheist. That is an answer to a question about a religious belief.

Now, my question to you. What is it about not recognizing your view that there is no God is a belief that is so unsettling to you that you try to make it something other than that, some "default position", instead of an active belief?

Does it make you feel you're making a statement of religious faith to understand atheism as a belief about the existence of God, which is by and large the most common understanding of that word? Is this an allergic reaction to the idea of it being a question of religious faith for you, and you wish to avoid it appearing anywhere near that?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Now, my question to you. What is it about not recognizing your view that there is no God is a belief that is so unsettling to you that you try to make it something other than that, some "default position", instead of an active belief?

Because I do not think that one can say for sure either way. There are versions of God that can be refuted but not the general concept. And it is far from 'unsettling". Why use such an emotional term. I merely want to be accurate.

Does it make you feel you're making a statement of religious faith to understand atheism as a belief about the existence of God, which is by and large the most common understanding of that word? Is this an allergic reaction to the idea of it being a question of religious faith for you, and you wish to avoid it appearing anywhere near that?

It irritates me when people get an easy to understand concept so wrong. Those people are usually making claims that require a burden of proof and they demand atheists prove their lack of belief as a dodge so that they do not have to justify their beliefs.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Simply wrong. Why do you say that? That is a huge non sequitur:

Scientist have not discovered the source of life so they cannot refute a Flat Earth". For all practical purposes you just claimed that.

If science has no answer to the source of life then how is science's answer to the source of life a refutation of anything?
How is refuting YEC meant to be a refutation of the God that YECers have? It is the same God that Old Earth Creationists have, it is the same God that Christian Evolutionists have etc.
All refuting YEC does is refute YEC not the God of the Bible.

Brian2

Veteran Member
When I use the phrase religious-type belief, I am referring to any insufficiently justified belief. The belief that if a deity is ever detected it will be empirically is pretty much self-evident. Everything that is known to exist outside of the theater of our consciousness is known through the senses. Intuitions are generated by the brain, not received from outside the head. The intuition mistaken for gods is the spiritual intuition, which tells us such things as what is beautiful, what is good, what is delicious, what is loveable, and even what is divine. It's all from the same brain telling us how we feel about what is out there. Thus, we don't detect beauty, for example. What we detect is that which the mind then finds beautiful. Likewise with the sacred. It's an intuition created by the brain, not a fact about reality. This intuition is commonly called God, but the god being sensed is a creation of the mind misunderstood.

If a deity will be detected it will be empirically but you have a religious type belief that is materialism and so to you the brain makes up messages which we think are from God. And of course you are probably right for a lot of those messages but you don't know about all of them.

I disagree. Faith is unjustified belief. Living as if there is no God is justified by the same reasoning that justifies living as if there are no vampires or leprechauns, or anything else people do or have believed exists without ever having seen one. Did you used to believe in Santa or some equivalent like Father Christmas. I did. I believed by faith because it never occurred to me that my parents were lying. Yes, I was eventually told that there was no Santa, but suppose it was widely believed by adults that there was a Santa for whatever reason. Some people would eventually have done what many of us did regarding gods - just stop believing that Santa exists for lack of evidence. And we live as if there is no Santa. That is a justified choice until evidence surfaces that Santa actually does exist.

You ignore the scriptures where people have seen God/s and then say that nobody has seen a god.
I lack a belief in vampires, leprechauns etc and I also believe they do not exist, as you probably do.
I believe there is no real Santa, and I live out that belief.
Mostly the "lack of belief" idea is nothing but semantics because a lot of atheists don't like the idea that they have a religious type belief, one without sufficient evidence.

One doesn't need to hold insufficiently justified beliefs, but he does need to learn the rules of critical analysis to know when a belief has been justified. I believe nothing by faith to my knowledge. I learned how to identify and reject insufficiently supported claims. If I still hold such a belief - perhaps something that crept in before learning that skill - and I recognize it as insufficiently supported, I will either seek its proper justification, revise it, or reject it.

Sounds like me and God. I seek justification, revise it or reject it. But the justification is something that is personal for me and my faith and not something that all can see as justification. Faith is faith is faith and not empirical knowledge.

Not by the standards of high quality prophecy such as scientific prophecy. High quality prophecy - the kind that can convince a critical thinker - needs to be specific, detailed and unambiguous. Optimally, the time and place are specified. It also needs to prophecy something unexpected, unlikely or unique, and it can't be self-fulfilling (made to happen because it was predicted).

There was a movie called "Frequency" in which Dennis Quaid's son living in the future tells his father living in the past the outcome of game five of what is for him the as yet unfinished 1969 World Series from 1998 using a ham radio in order to convince his father that he really knows his father's future. Here's what the son said to the father:

"Well, game five was the big one. It turned in the bottom of the 6th. We were down 3-0. Cleon Jones gets hit on the foot - left a scuffmark on the ball. Clendenon comes up. The count goes to 2 and 2. High fastball. He nailed it. Weis slammed a solo shot in the 7th to tie. Jones and Swoboda scored in the 8th. We won, Pop."

Then the father sees it all play out live on a TV in a bar. Is that convincing? Once one rules out a taped delay broadcast of the game, yes, it is. Why? Because it is very specific and predicted something very unlikely. Biblical prophecy lacks that specificity, without which, it is very human and mundane, and reminds nobody of a god.

Science does not prophesy. All science can do is predict based on a hypothesis or calculate what should be from accepted knowledge. God prophesying something is neither of those.
Some Biblical prophecy is precise, and anyway, a few hundred mundane prophecies that come true hundreds of years later is pretty convincing also.
But not for a sceptic who inserts a taped delay broadcast or something even though it has not been found. It is religious belief that the supernatural is not real.

What else do you read that has to be read a special way to be understood?

Similarly, the religious apologist changes the apparent meaning of scripture to fit the occasion. If he needs the creation story to be longer than six days, then he just reads it a 'special kind of way' and it says something else to him. The outsider asks how that is justified when it says six days and even includes mornings and evenings, as well as a literal day of rest that one is commanded to emulate each week, and he is told that he isn't qualified to understand scripture, that a special way of reading is required.

You don't need to read the Tyre prophecy a special way to understand it. It's just one of those things that is easy to miss.
Tyre in Prophecy - Apologetics Press

When it comes to Genesis there is evidence in the text that the 7 days are not 24 hours each. One thing is that the 7th day is not said to have finished. Another is that in Gen 2 the 7 days of Genesis 1 are called one day, showing that "day" is being used in a non literal way, as happens in much of the Bible.
Then again some believers just take the whole story as creation myth.
But for a sceptic and "critical thinker" it seems it has to be interpreted literally (like a YECer) because that is the easiest way to dismiss it.

Such things are believed provisionally (tentatively) according to how commonplace or extraordinary the claim is. If one wants to claim that Jesus died, the evidence needed is whatever establishes that he actually lived. If he wants to claim a resurrection and be believed, he'll need extraordinary evidence, not hearsay.

Witness evidence is not hearsay but for a sceptic the witness evidence has to be turned into hearsay so that lying can be more easily inserted.

Yes, they do, and it can lead them to sound conclusions if they apply it without fallacy to true premises and evidence. But if reason is applied to false (or unproven) premises, the conclusion will be unsound even if the reasoning applied to them is impeccable. And if the reasoning is flawed, it's not really reasoning, and of course, the conclusions will be unsound again.

The Scholastics were a medieval school of Christian philosophers applying reason to faith-based premises in order to figure out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. An archbishop named Ussher did something similar based in the creation story and a genealogy to determine the age of the earth. It doesn't matter how valid the reasoning is if the premises are untrue or unshared (not accepted as true).

Believers frequently tell me that evidence led them to a god belief, then they give us the evidence, none of which is properly understood as supporting a god belief. They name living cells, or an anecdote when God appeared to them, or the life and words of a prophet or messenger including biblical prophecy. They say that they are using reason, but right of the bat, they don't seem to understand what evidence for a god or the supernatural would be and why what they cite doesn't support their god conclusion. Despite the best efforts of theologians throughout the centuries, there is no sound argument that ends, "therefore God," meaning that there can be no sound argument using the existence of a god as a premise.

For the faith of an individual the reasons are different and are sound to their subjective faith. It cannot be translated to a universal argument for everyone however, it is an individual and subjective thing. If someone is willing to believe what individuals say, their testimony of what happened to them, and not just dismiss it as nonsense then a testimony might be a good witness to the truth of the faith for someone else also.
So for a sceptic it is the unwillingness to hear that is the problem, the initial belief that it is about the supernatural and so it is lies and subjective rubbish and has to be empirical to be accepted etc.

That's an incoherent statement as I define faith and atheism. Theism is religious-type faith (unjustified). Atheism results from the requirement for having sufficient evidence before belief and there being none that justifies belief.

You require empirical evidence and call the actual evidence of the supernatural, lies.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
why I object to this "default position" argument, is because it is no different than the theist claiming that all humans are born to be believers in God.

Born to be? The equal and opposite position ought to be are born believing. I also don't understand why this position is being argued. I'm quite confident that I was born without a god belief and never developed on until I chose to become a Christian as a very young adult. But let me concede the point to you anyway. I stipulate to the claim that in some sense, I was born a theist, although I still know in what sense that would be. Eventually, I was exposed to a god concept by atheist parents (atheistic Jews) not as something to believe but as something in the world that I would encounter, but before then, no religion in my life except from about ages 8-13, when my mother was married to a failed former rabbinical student, I was introduced to Judaism (seders, kosher dishes, menorahs, and a bar mitzvah after learning to recite but not understand Hebrew). I was still not religious.

Dawkins has some interesting thoughts about why religions and god belief are so common in human cultures even though these practices often consume scarce resources. The following was in response to, "If faith were not advantageous, it would have been evolutionarily selected against." Sorry that it's a bit wordy, but I found it interesting and plausible:

It's advantageous in children. Children who blindly obey their parents and other benevolent elders are more likely to live to reproduce than those who don't, and say cross without looking or get into a stranger's car, and pay the price. Giving this power to others who only pretend to have your best interests at heart as an adult is likely to be costly. Dawkins reviews this here: "What Use is Religion?" on the adaptive value of religion in human societies. He claims:

"Natural selection builds child brains with a tendency to believe whatever their parents and tribal elders tell them. And this very quality automatically makes them vulnerable to infection by mind viruses. For excellent survival reasons, child brains need to trust parents and trust elders whom their parents tell them to trust. An automatic consequence is that the “truster” has no way of distinguishing good advice from bad. The child cannot tell that “If you swim in the river you’ll be eaten by crocodiles” is good advice but “If you don’t sacrifice a goat at the time of the full moon, the crops will fail” is bad advice. They both sound the same. Both are advice from a trusted source, and both are delivered with a solemn earnestness that commands respect and demands obedience."​
His point is that just because a behavior is widespread in a population does not mean it confers a survival advantage. Faith in priests as an adult is not the same as faith in one's parents as a child. Only the latter has adaptive value. Sometimes, a quality or behavior that has adaptive value in one context is dangerous in another. Dawkins gives the example of the moth to the flame. They all do it. Why? What's in it for them? Why was it selected for? His answer: It wasn't. The instinct was co-opted:

"Moths fly into the candle flame, and it doesn’t look like an accident. They go out of their way to make a burnt offering of themselves. We could label it “self-immolation behavior” and wonder how Darwinian natural selection could possibly favor it. My point, again, is that we need to rewrite the question before we can even attempt an intelligent answer. It isn’t suicide. Apparent suicide emerges as an inadvertent side-effect. Artificial light is a recent arrival on the night scene. Until recently, the only night lights were the moon and the stars. Being at optical infinity, their rays are parallel, which makes them ideal compasses. Insects are known to use celestial objects to steer accurately in a straight line. The insect nervous system is adept at setting up a temporary rule of thumb such as, “Steer a course such that the light rays hit your eye at an angle of 30°.” Since insects have compound eyes, this will amount to favoring a particular ommatidium (individual optical tube radiating out from the center of the compound eye). But the light compass relies critically on the celestial object being at optical infinity. If it isn’t, the rays are not parallel but diverge like the spokes of a wheel. A nervous system using a 30° rule of thumb to a candle, as though it were the moon, will steer its moth, in a neat logarithmic spiral, into the flame.

"It is still, on average, a good rule of thumb. We don’t notice the hundreds of moths who are silently and effectively steering by the moon or a bright star or even the lights of a distant city. We see only moths hurling themselves at our lights, and we ask the wrong question. Why are all these moths committing suicide? Instead, we should ask why they have nervous systems that steer by maintaining an automatic fixed angle to light rays, a tactic that we only notice on the occasions when it goes wrong. When the question is rephrased, the mystery evaporates. It never was right to call it suicide.

"Once again, apply the lesson to religious behavior in humans. We observe large numbers of people—in many local areas it amounts to 100 percent—who hold beliefs that flatly contradict demonstrable scientific facts, as well as rival religions. They not only hold these beliefs but devote time and resources to costly activities that flow from holding them. They die for them, or kill for them. We marvel at all this, just as we marvelled at the self-immolation behavior of the moths. Baffled, we ask “Why?” Yet again, the point I am making is that we may be asking the wrong question. The religious behavior may be a misfiring, an unfortunate manifestation of an underlying psychological propensity that in other circumstances was once useful."​
And so, the prevalence of organized religion is explainable by positing that it is advantageous for people to exploit one another using this propensity to trust and believe, which is normally a juvenile quality, but can be maintained into adulthood through conditioning. One nurtures the retention a variety of instincts such as obedience and submission to authority and father figures, belief by faith and magical thinking, and the idea that one is being watched and judged and will be punished for being bad - all ideas that diminish when maturation occurs outside of religious teaching, but are cultivated by organized religion, which actually praises childlike thinking, calls faith a virtue, and repeats warning of punishment from Father for disobedience to Him.​

my problem with the second [an atheist is "anybody lacking a god belief"] is that it makes the word atheist meaningless then.

Not to me. Sure, it includes prelinguistic children and dogs, but so what? It's not like we're counting atheists and including them. The point is that it excludes all theists. That's a meaningful line to me. Then, I further subdivide the theists to isolate the problem group within theism - organized, politicized Abrahamics, mostly Christian and Muslim - the kind of people who would impose their theocratic tendencies on all, the kind with angry, judgmental gods that they claim have given them instructions to impose on all. My interest in religion is largely restricted to this group and their disempowerment as a social force. Let their rules apply to volunteers only.

Other kinds of theists are welcome. Your kind of theist is welcome. Pagans and Dharmics are welcome. We're all in the community of the mutually tolerant. If that's you, I don't care what your religious beliefs are. If my neighbor wants to dance around a tree in his back yard at midnight baying at the full moon while shaking a stick with a bloody chicken claw nailed to it in order to center himself and give his like meaning, that's fine, as long as he keeps the noise down and doesn't sacrifice anything.

In fact, I just learned yet another new term of atheism I had not heard of before. I actually think this fits a lot of the things I hear some atheists describe as their type of atheism: Apatheism - Wikipedia

I'm familiar with that term. In my case, it's how I describe my feeling about the possibility of noninterventionalist gods like the deistic god, whose existence is undecidable (unfalsifiable) and wouldn't matter either way.

I tend to get lumped in with the likes of Jerry ****ing Fallwell in some people's mind if I say I believe in God!

LOL. That's to be expected if you use that word. It's an inescapable fact that if you say God, most westerners will understand that to be the angry, invisible guy that some pray to for mercy. You suggested recently that our outlooks are pretty similar, and I would agree. You seem to see the cosmos as sacred and not deflect that respect to disembodied consciousnesses, and that would describe my outlook as well. If I wanted to anthropomorphize that, I would call her Mother Nature, not God, because nobody misunderstands what I mean by Mother Nature. I think you're doing something similar, but using the word God to mean something similar, and so you get lumped in with Jerry ****ing Falwell. I avoid the word God like the plague for just these reasons (somebody noted recently that perhaps we should rethink that cliche given the reaction of so many who refused to vaccinate, mask, distance, or quarantine)

I think considering the nature of all of our discussions about religion and God, the philosophical understanding it in fact what we are discussing.

Yes, but for me, my philosophical understanding, not somebody in a philosophy book. I almost never defer to any other thinker. That doesn't mean I don't hear them or that they never influence my thinking - you have. It's just that their ideas need to become my ideas (my philosophy) for them to have value to me. I'm simply never going to read somebody, not fully understand or agree with them, and then repeat their words as gospel. I leave that kind of thinking to the faithful.

Why would I refer to my dog as an atheist, for god's sake!

You wouldn't, although if asked whether your dog had a god belief, you would laughingly answer no. I have no problem with any of this. I never do when the issue is semantic, that is, not a disagreement about what is true, but rather, what to call it. Do we and everybody else know that your dog has no god belief? Of course. Shall we call that atheism? I don't care. I have no dog in that hunt.

I don't know what you read in that 2nd philosophical definition, but I certainly don't see it excluding competent critical thinkers. Quite the contrary! Can you explain what you are seeing that differs so widely from how I read it?

If you're a strong atheist - one who positively asserts that gods do not exist - you've left critical thinking to take a leap of faith.

And, yes, I agree. A pleasant discussion. Thanks.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If a deity will be detected it will be empirically but you have a religious type belief that is materialism and so to you the brain makes up messages which we think are from God. And of course you are probably right for a lot of those messages but you don't know about all of them.

Why would I think any were from a god? Because I can't positively say that they were not? That's simply not how the critical thinker thinks. He will agree with you that he cannot rule out the possibility, but that won't be enough for him to accept it or act on it. If you think about it, you'll see that that is true for you in other areas. Consider all of the claims made by man. We recently had an RF theist tell us he was immortal. I'm sure everybody reading his words failed to believe him, but how do we determine he's incorrect? We don't. Once again, we can't rule out the possibility. We simply fail to believe the claim without disproving it. I imagine you would too.

I lack a belief in vampires, leprechauns etc and I also believe they do not exist, as you probably do. I believe there is no real Santa, and I live out that belief.

I live life as if neither gods, vampires, nor leprechauns exist. I don't say that I believe they don't exist, just that I have no reason to believe they do. When I say that I believe something, I mean that I consider it a fact, by which I mean demonstrably correct. I can't exclude even leprechauns with any experiment, argument, observation, or algorithm. I can only say that they are very likely made up, and that if I'm wrong, I'll wait until I have a reason to think otherwise before living as if they exist. Gods, too.

Science does not prophesy. All science can do is predict based on a hypothesis or calculate what should be from accepted knowledge.

Prediction is synonymous with prophecy. Science predicted the deflection of light by gravity, the cosmic microwave background, the ratio of elements in pristine nebulae, and the discovery of the Higgs boson.

"Think of how many religions attempt to validate themselves with prophecy. Think of how many people rely on these prophecies, however vague, however unfulfilled, to support or prop up their beliefs. Yet has there ever been a religion with the prophetic accuracy and reliability of science?" - Carl Sagan

Some Biblical prophecy is precise

Not according to the standards of high-quality prophecy, which must be precise enough to convince a skeptic. I gave you an example from a movie of what a convincing prophecy about the future looks like. Biblical prophecy resembles cold readings of mentalists, spiritualists, and psychics.

a few hundred mundane prophecies that come true hundreds of years later is pretty convincing also.

Biblical prophecy does not convince critical thinkers. You can see that in these threads. It hasn't convinced me that there is any prescience there the way the scientific prophecy did.

It is religious belief that the supernatural is not real.

The concept is incoherent. It refutes itself upon close scrutiny. It's a difficult argument to follow. The conclusion is that all of reality or existence is nature, reality being the collection of objects and processes that can interact with one another. To do that, they must be subject to the same natural law, and they must be in time and space. The supernatural is a contrived concept that wishes to posit a separate reality capable of affecting our reality yet being undetectable from within it. If it affects nature, it is nature, and it is detectable through those effects.

When it comes to Genesis there is evidence in the text that the 7 days are not 24 hours each. One thing is that the 7th day is not said to have finished. Another is that in Gen 2 the 7 days of Genesis 1 are called one day, showing that "day" is being used in a non literal way, as happens in much of the Bible.

There is no reason to believe that the Bible authors didn't mean a literal day. Today, we know that the universe evolved over 13.7 billion years, 9 billion before the sun and earth formed. So today, people have a reason to claim that the Bible was meant literally, but they didn't then and many still do today even though it is no longer punishable by death to say otherwise and is in fact is now a scientifically supported position. Where's the shame in having guessed incorrectly? That's how we view Viking and ancient Greek mythology. They also guessed incorrectly about the history of reality, but nobody's trying to change the meanings of the words in their creation stories.

The best argument for why the days were thought to be 24 hours apart from the appearance of the words morning and evening with each of the days of creation is the creation of the work week. That was likely invented to create a day each week for people to come to the synagogue and tithe once man settled into settlements, which grew large. Man was commanded to emulate his god and take a literal day of rest every literal seven days. Why commanded? Every once in a while, one needs to modify morals to comport with changed in life. In man's hunter-gatherer days, there were no days off. Every able-bodied person was expected to work every day, and it surely would be considered sloth to live otherwise. Now, you've got to convince people of a new ethic, and so you invent a story that includes a work week and weekend, and command compliance with that model.

But this really doesn't matter. If you are correct, that's fine. It's just that given the evidence and my understanding of human nature, I believe that the story was meant literally and understood as history by most lay people until that was no longer tenable.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
for a sceptic and "critical thinker" it seems it has to be interpreted literally (like a YECer) because that is the easiest way to dismiss it.

I dismiss scripture because of insufficient evidence for the god contained therein. I would dismiss the claims of Christianity even if I agreed with you that the ancients never believed the creation myth literally, even were the scriptures not replete with internal contradiction and failed prophecy, even were it not full of errors about history, or its god not depicted in contradictory and mutually exclusive terms.

Witness evidence is not hearsay but for a sceptic the witness evidence has to be turned into hearsay so that lying can be more easily inserted.

What believers call eyewitness testimony of a resurrection in scripture is hearsay, because they are not eyewitnesses themselves. And it's not about lying. It's about being wrong.

For the faith of an individual the reasons are different and are sound to their subjective faith.

Soundness in argumentation is not an arbitrary quality that anybody who likes his conclusion can claim. We see faith -based thinkers frequently calling their fallacious thinking reason ("I just can't see how life could have organized itself, so it didn't") and their faith-based beliefs sound and supported by evidence that critical thinker rejects as evidence supporting that conclusion, but none of that is the case. Critical thinking is rule based, like addition. Follow those rules faithfully and generate sound conclusions and correct sums. Do it your own way, and you're off the reason reservation no matter how satisfied one is with his results.

for a sceptic it is the unwillingness to hear that is the problem

What do you think isn't being heard? The arguments are heard, evaluated, and accepted as sound if they comply with the rules of critical analysis, or rejected if they're not.

You require empirical evidence and call the actual evidence of the supernatural, lies.

I don't use the word lies in this context. I call the evidence for the supernatural nonexistent, and the concept incoherent (internally contradictory).

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Born to be? The equal and opposite position ought to be are born believing. I also don't understand why this position is being argued.
I think that article I linked to explains the basis for why that first researcher viewed that children were born with a proposenty towards religious thought. Are kids born with an innate belief in God?

After observing that children tend to believe that the world has order and purpose, he came to the conclusion that kids are born with a tendency toward thinking that there is some sort of supernatural agent behind this order. Or, as he put it to me over the phone, "children have a number of natural dispositions to religious beliefs of various sorts."
That is in brief his basis for concluding that. Of course as the article points out there is data that suggests that is not necessarily valid. But my original point was that I recall specifically hearing Christian leaders talking about how children are essentially born with theistic-leaning tendencies. So when I hear atheists essentially try to say that the "default position" is atheism instead, all I am hearing it "who's got the real true, natural belief system here" type argument. It's just flipsides of that same self-promotion impulse.

Obviously no child is born believing anything, so I would agree with this part of the argument that a child may be born with a tendency towards either atheistic thinking or theistic thinking down the road. That totally depends upon the personality types they are born with. There is no default for the whole.

I strongly resist against any of these unilateral pronouncements about theism or atheism being the default position, or even the default tendencies toward those later beliefs for all human beings. This singularly is the point I am trying to emphasize. It smacks of religious smugness.

I'm quite confident that I was born without a god belief and never developed on until I chose to become a Christian as a very young adult. But let me concede the point to you anyway. I stipulate to the claim that in some sense, I was born a theist, although I still know in what sense that would be. Eventually, I was exposed to a god concept by atheist parents (atheistic Jews) not as something to believe but as something in the world that I would encounter, but before then, no religion in my life except from about ages 8-13
Likewise, I did not have a God concept in my mind until much later in life when I was exposed to it more around age 13, as yourself. But what I can say that I was born with was a tendency to see the beauty and magic and wonder in life. I just didn't have a name for it. But I'm only confident there were other children who were my peers who didn't see life as magical that way.

As I said, this is much more about personality types, as well as one's own home environments to either nurture that natural tendency of that personality type, or suppress it, such as in authoritarian, abusive homes. And those without that tendency, just never or with much difficulty have that aspect of realty on their innate radar.

So then later on, as I first became exposed to the symbolisms of religious themes as an early teen, believe it or not at the movie Jesus Christ Superstar, I found myself attracted to it. I remember feeling a draw towards it, but of course I never became religious. Then as I mentioned in my other post about my history, that spontaneous Satori experience, that Oneness experiences, that Enlightenment or Awakening experience at age 18, essentially ripped the roof right off all all reality as I knew it and exposed me face to face with the Infinite itself.

That is when someone I told what I had experienced identified that to me as "God". And sure, as God symbolizes the Absolute and the Transcendent, I accepted that was God. But it was also much more than that as well. And that then was the basis for me deliberately seeking out religion to help teach me about this, as they were supposedly the experts and authorities on the subject of God, after all.

So my point of all of that is to balance out what you said about your experience being born not believing. I too was not born with God beliefs, but my personality and upbringing was such that one could say my "default position" was with a tendency towards being open to the Transcendent, or the spiritual aspects of life. Some do not default that way. Some do. It's much more individual than any grand unilateral "default position". I hope I'm making my point more well here.

Dawkins has some interesting thoughts about why religions and god belief are so common in human cultures even though these practices often consume scarce resources.
No offense, but Dawkins opinions on religion are at best mildly insightful, and at worst are just simply more reflective of his own personal processing. Like one friend of mine who was getting his doctorate in Philosophy once said to me about him, "I just wish he wouldn't do his whole ExChristian thing on the world stage".

The humanities are not Dawkins' area of expertise, and his position as a biologist does not make his opinions all that terribly insightful about religion, let alone an authority. He simply doesn't have the breadth of understanding in these areas to really offer useful insights into these things. That said however, I do respect him as a biologist, and like some of what he touches on here that you quote. I just choke a bit at his conclusion from it. I'll explain.

The following was in response to, "If faith were not advantageous, it would have been evolutionarily selected against." Sorry that it's a bit wordy, but I found it interesting and plausible:

It's advantageous in children. Children who blindly obey their parents and other benevolent elders are more likely to live to reproduce than those who don't, and say cross without looking or get into a stranger's car, and pay the price. Giving this power to others who only pretend to have your best interests at heart as an adult is likely to be costly. Dawkins reviews this here: "What Use is Religion?" on the adaptive value of religion in human societies. He claims:​
Before I comment on Dawkins thoughts, I'm not sure whose comments leading to it these are, but I'll point out some of this here is a biased use of language and inaccurate in its inferences. First, I don't see children as "blindly following". That a negative pejorative term being apply to an innate basic trust of adults. That basic trust, is what is evolutionarily advantageous, not gullibility, nor uncritical thinking when they should be doing otherwise, which is what we mean by saying someone is "blindly following" someone else.

Secondly, even as adults, we likewise do in fact trust those who are supposed to be the authorities to what they are teaching or leading us as. For instance, trusting Richard Dawkins is an authority on the subject of religion, because he holds a position as a biologist. Trusting priests and pastors who are supposed to be experts on God, but are really just hacks on the subject, and so forth.

No matter what area we are looking to learn from a teacher, we naturally do give our trust over to them as knowledgeable experts. So it's not a matter of gullibility that we trust preachers, or biologists teaching about religion. We need to do that as a student. It's only when that trust is broken, or shown to be misplaced, that we now should seriously examine that person's qualifications.

Now to Dawkins comments:

"Natural selection builds child brains with a tendency to believe whatever their parents and tribal elders tell them. And this very quality automatically makes them vulnerable to infection by mind viruses. For excellent survival reasons, child brains need to trust parents and trust elders whom their parents tell them to trust. An automatic consequence is that the “truster” has no way of distinguishing good advice from bad. The child cannot tell that “If you swim in the river you’ll be eaten by crocodiles” is good advice but “If you don’t sacrifice a goat at the time of the full moon, the crops will fail” is bad advice. They both sound the same. Both are advice from a trusted source, and both are delivered with a solemn earnestness that commands respect and demands obedience."
I like how he sets up religion as a "mind infection". :) So telling indeed. But here's the problem with this. Any type of cultural programming can be viewed as a mind infection as well. We are all programmed with every basic idea of what is truth and reality in every aspect of our lives, regardless if it is religious or not. Even the scientific paradigm, is a programming of how to see reality, what lens or filter of reality we translate all experiences through.

It's all programming. And some programs have interoperability problems, We call them bugs, or even viruses if they negatively affect other functional programs. Now, religion might be seen as virus, to a program that runs a science program. And science may be seen as a virus to a program that runs a religious program. It's all relative. It's really what is the effect. Does it cause the system to crash?

For example, I might make a strong case that the reductionist philosophical materialist paradigm itself is a "mind virus", in that in can sap meaning and joy out of life and lead to a dismissal, cynical outlook at one's own existence as pointless. But I'm not an absolutist that way, so I won't go that far. It depends which operating system that "virus" is let loose in. ;)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The religious behavior may be a misfiring, an unfortunate manifestation of an underlying psychological propensity that in other circumstances was once useful."​

And here is where I choke. While his insights about the moth is informative and good, his conclusion that religious behavior is a misfiring, shows only his negative cynical attitudes against religion. What I would say instead is that the misfiring of that guidance system attracted to light leading moths into the flame by mistake, describes religious fundamentalism!

Religion, if you want to speak from an evolutionary perspective, in fact serves as a guidance system to navigate life. It has its ethical and moral precepts, it teaches about respect of others, it teaches responsibility to community, and so forth. The mere fact it persists, it survives, because it has functionally worked.

It's the "suicide bombers", or the religious fundamentalists who don't get it, who instead take a tool for Life, and turn into their own deaths. If that were all that religion was, it would not survive. That form of religion does not support life.

Think of this like a Christian who believes that all humans are inherently wicked and evil. If that were actually true, our species would not survive let alone thrive! Same thing with religion. If religion were as Richard Dawkins projects his disdain of it upon the world stage, inherently evil and bad, then why has it persisted and continues to be adopted?

And so, the prevalence of organized religion is explainable by positing that it is advantageous for people to exploit one another using this propensity to trust and believe,
No it is not explainable because of that! I get how it is easily exploited, but that doesn't make it itself inherently evil. It simply means it like anything else becomes exploited by those who are parasites. Wherever you find a healthy organism, you find parasites. That does mean fish are inherently bad because they get leeches attached to them.

But according to Dawkins' logic here, we should think that way about fish. The reason fish exists, is because leaches can so easily attach themselves to them! That is of course an absurd and cynical answer!

which is normally a juvenile quality, but can be maintained into adulthood through conditioning.
The same thing can be said about those who trust that Dawkins knows what he's talking about when he speaks about religion, especially when you consider it's anything but his field of expertise. Plenty of adults trust his word about religion, the same way plenty of adults trust the word of their pastor speaking to matters of science and evolution! It's the exact same thing in reverse. Neither are experts of those fields outside of their wheelhouses.
Not to me. Sure, it includes prelinguistic children and dogs, but so what? It's not like we're counting atheists and including them.
Oh but that is what these "default position" advocates of atheism are in fact promoting. It's the truth by numbers game. But as I've illustrated by example, there is no default position whatsoever. It's all individual propensities towards certain types of perceptual experience. It's personality based.

You have those like me who saw the world as magical and wondrous being attracted to religious symbolisms (but then utterly confused and dismayed by their actual theology! :) ), and then those who aren't like that as children. Even as adults there are some in life who just simply don't get what others see when looking at the same thing. If there were a default position, there would be no diversity of personality types.

LOL. That's to be expected if you use that word. It's an inescapable fact that if you say God, most westerners will understand that to be the angry, invisible guy that some pray to for mercy.

As I've said, I'm not one to like to hand the power of the language over to lowest hanging fruits on the tree. I prefer to take that word away from them by using it is it's more elevated, transcendent, and meaningful terms. Words like love can become trivial and even nauseating, if you listen to teens talk about how my they love this cute boy in school!

But should we as adults say, let's quit using that word love because Becky and all her giggling friends are using like it like hormone infected lunatics? :) Fortunately, there are enough people who use it like an adult that the word has meaning and usefulness for deeper understandings. That's really how I feel about using the word God. I use it like the word love, only bigger, with a capital L.

You suggested recently that our outlooks are pretty similar, and I would agree. You seem to see the cosmos as sacred and not deflect that respect to disembodied consciousnesses, and that would describe my outlook as well. If I wanted to anthropomorphize that, I would call her Mother Nature, not God, because nobody misunderstands what I mean by Mother Nature.
Well, the problem with a term like mother nature, which I do appreciate that you capitalized it that they way I might, is that it is one of those metaphors that has become so trivialized, that it doesn't carry the meaning of the sacred with it. Some see it simply just another way to speak about nature, like a "sexed up atheism" kind of use, as Dawkins completely misunderstands pantheism as.

But to say Mother Nature, carries with it an reverence of it. So yes, someone can misunderstand your intent if you use that word too. They may miss the deeper, reverential meaning you intended.

Same thing with the use of the word God. It all honestly boils down to how someone uses it. The context, the speaker, the intent. Not just the word itself.

I think you're doing something similar, but using the word God to mean something similar, and so you get lumped in with Jerry ****ing Falwell.
Not if they actually listen to how I use it! :) If they simply knee-jerk, well then, they aren't actually listening to what is being said. Hopefully though in time, when they hear enough people who aren't idiots use the word, they won't make those sorts of knee-jerk assumptions anymore.

I avoid the word God like the plague for just these reasons (somebody noted recently that perhaps we should rethink that cliche given the reaction of so many who refused to vaccinate, mask, distance, or quarantine)
The closest I come is to use it with some safeguards or warning labels, such as using the scare quotes, "God". But that's just to get the person familiar with the idea that not everyone who uses that word is an idiot.

Yes, but for me, my philosophical understanding, not somebody in a philosophy book. I almost never defer to any other thinker. That doesn't mean I don't hear them or that they never influence my thinking - you have.
Thank you. It's good to hear I may have helped expand your understandings. Any good discussion should do that. I know I have learned to appreciate your perspectives as well and that has helped me.

It's just that their ideas need to become my ideas (my philosophy) for them to have value to me.
Same here. If I can't explain it in my own words, but simply parrot others, then it hasn't actually been intergraded. I may quote from others, as I did with the Stanford link, simply to show that my thoughts are not just "my opinion". These are the same thoughts of others who are far more qualified in a professional sense than I am in my own informed opinions.

In other words, I like my opinions to be informed and knowledgeable opinions, not "just my opinion", no better than any other Joe at the corner bar spouting off their views on topics they really don't understand at any level of depth.

I'm simply never going to read somebody, not fully understand or agree with them, and then repeat their words as gospel. I leave that kind of thinking to the faithful.
Me either. But I don't call that a trait of the faithful. Quite the opposite. I call that a trait of the lazy! :) I know plenty of online atheists who do just that too.

Another long post by me, one who is himself too lazy to self-edit. :)

Brian2

Veteran Member
Prediction is synonymous with prophecy. Science predicted the deflection of light by gravity, the cosmic microwave background, the ratio of elements in pristine nebulae, and the discovery of the Higgs boson.

"Think of how many religions attempt to validate themselves with prophecy. Think of how many people rely on these prophecies, however vague, however unfulfilled, to support or prop up their beliefs. Yet has there ever been a religion with the prophetic accuracy and reliability of science?" - Carl Sagan

Science predicts through calculations, religion predicts through foreknowledge. They are basically different even if 'predict' and 'prophesy' might be synonyms.

Biblical prophecy does not convince critical thinkers. You can see that in these threads. It hasn't convinced me that there is any prescience there the way the scientific prophecy did.

What did you think about the link to the explanation of the Tyre prophecy?

The concept is incoherent. It refutes itself upon close scrutiny. It's a difficult argument to follow. The conclusion is that all of reality or existence is nature, reality being the collection of objects and processes that can interact with one another. To do that, they must be subject to the same natural law, and they must be in time and space. The supernatural is a contrived concept that wishes to posit a separate reality capable of affecting our reality yet being undetectable from within it. If it affects nature, it is nature, and it is detectable through those effects.

Sounds like a contrived idea of natural and what that means.

There is no reason to believe that the Bible authors didn't mean a literal day. Today, we know that the universe evolved over 13.7 billion years, 9 billion before the sun and earth formed. So today, people have a reason to claim that the Bible was meant literally, but they didn't then and many still do today even though it is no longer punishable by death to say otherwise and is in fact is now a scientifically supported position. Where's the shame in having guessed incorrectly? That's how we view Viking and ancient Greek mythology. They also guessed incorrectly about the history of reality, but nobody's trying to change the meanings of the words in their creation stories.

The best argument for why the days were thought to be 24 hours apart from the appearance of the words morning and evening with each of the days of creation is the creation of the work week. That was likely invented to create a day each week for people to come to the synagogue and tithe once man settled into settlements, which grew large. Man was commanded to emulate his god and take a literal day of rest every literal seven days. Why commanded? Every once in a while, one needs to modify morals to comport with changed in life. In man's hunter-gatherer days, there were no days off. Every able-bodied person was expected to work every day, and it surely would be considered sloth to live otherwise. Now, you've got to convince people of a new ethic, and so you invent a story that includes a work week and weekend, and command compliance with that model.

But this really doesn't matter. If you are correct, that's fine. It's just that given the evidence and my understanding of human nature, I believe that the story was meant literally and understood as history by most lay people until that was no longer tenable.

No doubt the story was understood literally and it did not matter and it did make a 7 day week where we get at least one day rest a good thing for us.
The creation story had to fit in with all manner of scientific knowledge however and it still does even when science says that the universe is 14 Billion years old and the days are seen as not literal.
But of course the creation myth interpretation does not really bother about that and it can be seen as true in those terms and so not an issue at all.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I strongly resist against any of these unilateral pronouncements about theism or atheism being the default position, or even the default tendencies toward those later beliefs for all human beings. This singularly is the point I am trying to emphasize. It smacks of religious smugness.

OK, but you may not be using the term default position that way I (and I believe most others) use it. For me, it refers to where we start, and if nothing is done to change that, where we remain. The default position for a courtroom trial is not guilty. If the jury is neither persuaded as to the defendant's guilt or innocence, he is treated as if he were exonerated.

Likewise, if a child is neither persuaded that gods exist nor don't, he lives as if they don't (atheist). That is the state into which he is born - no god belief. Yes, he has a proclivity for a god belief, but unless and until he acquires such a belief, he remains without one, making his atheism a default position for him and every human being not born in prayer or however a god belief might manifest in him some day.

I don't see any smugness there.

what I can say that I was born with was a tendency to see the beauty and magic and wonder in life. I just didn't have a name for it.

I call it the spiritual sense. I don't relate it to gods or religion. However, we might be using those words differently as well. I've defined both for you as I use them. A god is a sentient universe maker, and a religion is a worldview with a god. As I've commented, I don't see much difference in your beliefs about reality compared with mine. We just use different words. I've encountered several other posters who use the word God with whom it took me days or weeks to understand what they believe for their use of that word. You and I have done something similar. I would have understood you sooner had you used language with less baggage attached. It's fine with me that you want to reclaim the word God, but I prefer other language. I believe that what I mean by Mother Nature is what Einstein (and maybe you) mean by God. People everywhere still don't understand what he believes for that choice even when he states what it is explicitly elsewhere, and his words are used by theists with that additional context excluded in support of a god belief like theirs.

I too was not born with God beliefs, but my personality and upbringing was such that one could say my "default position" was with a tendency towards being open to the Transcendent, or the spiritual aspects of life.

This is definitely a different usage of default position. From this perspective, I can see you resenting atheism being called a default position if you consider what I call spirituality a god belief. I think I might be a theist by your reckoning. I weep for the wildlife trapped in plastic waste the way some weep at the thought of Jesus on the cross. I feel a sense of awe and majesty, of mystery and gratitude when contemplating my connection to the distant stars, and value that. It's how I know that I belong here. That's what I mean by Mother Nature. I don't mind that being called atheism.

I don't see children as "blindly following". That a negative pejorative term being apply to an innate basic trust of adults.

I don't consider it a pejorative. We know how children think. Blind in this context refers to passive obedience, which the child does whenever it doesn't experience an urge to disobey that it doesn't contain as opposed to being directed by higher contemplative cortical centers. Children wouldn't normally be expected to object to religious indoctrination from the crib until they develop some degree of critical thinking - "Wait a minute. That doesn't make sense. That doesn't ring true."

I like how he sets up religion as a "mind infection".

Dawkins invented the term meme, which is very much analogous to a viral infection. From Wiki: "A meme is an idea, behavior, or style that spreads by means of imitation from person to person within a culture and often carries symbolic meaning representing a particular phenomenon or theme. A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices, that can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena with a mimicked theme. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate, and respond to selective pressures."

I might make a strong case that the reductionist philosophical materialist paradigm itself is a "mind virus", in that in can sap meaning and joy out of life and lead to a dismissal, cynical outlook at one's own existence as pointless

I'm not sure what you mean by a "reductionist philosophical materialist paradigm," but there is nothing about a humanistic worldview that saps meaning from life. Still, the humanist worldview to the extent that it is transmitted culturally meets Dawkins definition for a meme, which can be described as infecting a mind, or less provocatively, taking residence in a mind.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
his conclusion that religious behavior is a misfiring, shows only his negative cynical attitudes against religion.

What are you calling religious behavior? Dawkins distinguishes between the bottom-up behavior of obeying authority and thinking in terms of patriarchy and the more cynical top-down behavior of organizing to exploit that. The argument is that the bottom-up proclivities in man are being coopted by the priesthood the way the flame or bulb coopts the moth's navigation system.

Religion, if you want to speak from an evolutionary perspective, in fact serves as a guidance system to navigate life. It has its ethical and moral precepts, it teaches about respect of others, it teaches responsibility to community, and so forth.

That's not religion to me. We do those things outside of religion. That's community. That's culture. Humanism is all of that. It becomes religion when we start making up unseen moral agents uttering irrational dicta that cannot be questioned. Being a Westerner and a former Christian, Christianity is my archetype for religion. Imagine native cultures with earth-based worldviews, who may imagine nature spirits, but these do not issue commandments or tell them what to believe. These are closer to atheism than Christianity. Then along come the missionaries or conquistadores or crusaders and introduce gods (sentient universe makers) and religion (a worldview featuring a god), and changing the organic relationship those people had with nature not unlike our own, which met those societal needs you named, into something else, which coopted that guidance system for navigating life naturally using the senses and the mind, to something more like a flame for a moth. Look at the disastrous result for the intellectual, spiritual, and moral health of the West even with the mitigating humanistic influence. And the Muslim world as well, which is worse off for the lack of that non-religious influence to bring them back into a state of balance with nature.

Here's the Christian way to navigate life: go to church, read your Bible, pray, tithe, have and raise children, don't be a part of the world, and don't have sex outside of heterosexual marriage. Pleasure acquired other ways is sin of the flesh. Don't think. Obey. Faith is a virtue and reason is its enemy. One learns by example (the words in the book are meaningless if not rendered as action) that being a good person means smiling a lot and being polite. Love is alms to the poor, but also blood sacrifice. Respect for others includes homophobia and atheophobia, and an incessant desire to convert them or impose values on them through government. American Christians have no problem with racism. They had no problem with Trump, or banning books. Take that religion (and others like it) away, and you return to the default position of a worldview dominated by a relationship with nature. Think of the American Indians encountering the Europeans. Think of the culture that was destroyed and the one that replaced it. A religion replaced a natural, spiritual worldview.

I'm not one to like to hand the power of the language over to lowest hanging fruits on the tree. I prefer to take that word away from them by using it is it's more elevated, transcendent, and meaningful terms.

Yes, you do. I'm the opposite. I give them the word. Because the word has that power to draw minds to a prudish, invisible man-in-the-sky who has a list of commandments for us to obey or else, whether or not we wish it evoke that image. That's what I mean by baggage. The word directs the mind preconditioned to understand it differently than you might mean it.

But should we as adults say, let's quit using that word love because Becky and all her giggling friends are using like it like hormone infected lunatics?

No, but when the word love doesn't carry Becky's baggage. When I say that I love my wife or dog, I don't expect it to conjure images of me giggling like an infatuated teen. If it did, I wouldn't use it. I'd find another word, like devotion. I've given up using the word faith to mean justified belief as in faith that one's car will start like it did the last several hundred times it was tested. That's a justified belief, radically different from faith in a god or afterlife.

the problem with a term like mother nature, which I do appreciate that you capitalized it that they way I might, is that it is one of those metaphors that has become so trivialized, that it doesn't carry the meaning of the sacred with it.

It does to me. What does mother mean in this context if not sacred?

Brian2

Veteran Member
Did someone actually make the mistake of trying to use the Tyre prophecy, perhaps the worst failed prophecy in all of the Bible as evidence?

Yes someone made that mistake. :oops:
It does appear to be a misunderstanding in what the prophecy actually says which causes people to say it failed. But interestingly even when they are shown what it actually says, they usually deny it somehow or do not make a response. Maybe you and I have gone through this before.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes someone made that mistake. :oops:
It does appear to be a misunderstanding in what the prophecy actually says which causes people to say it failed. But interestingly even when they are shown what it actually says, they usually deny it somehow or do not make a response. Maybe you and I have gone through this before.

Probably not. First off they got their most basic "fact" wrong. It does not take too long for that article to fail. Tyre always was the island city. Christian sources have to lie and try to claim that it was a city on the shore.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Science predicts through calculations, religion predicts through foreknowledge. They are basically different even if 'predict' and 'prophesy' might be synonyms.

Yes, scientific prophecy uses a methodology whereas religious prognostication does not. Is that important to the argument that scientific prophecy is a higher quality of prophecy for being more specific? The purpose is not to vaunt science, but to show that religious prophecy doesn't rise to the level of scientific prophecies known to come from men, meaning it also comes from men or could have.

What did you think about the link to the explanation of the Tyre prophecy?

I wasn't convinced by it. It was typical religious apologetics trying to speciously explain why black is really white. The prophecy was that Tyre would be conquered and plundered. It wasn't, so the prophet changed his prophecy. From Dissonant Prophecy in Ezekiel 26 and 29 on JSTOR:

upload_2022-12-18_7-52-3.png

From your apologetics link:

"The city of Tyre was besieged by Nebuchadnezzar, who did major damage to the mainland as Ezekiel predicted, but the island city remained primarily unaffected. It is at this point in the discussion that certain skeptics view Ezekiel’s prophecy as a failed prediction. Farrell Till stated: “Nebuchadnezzar did capture the mainland suburb of Tyre, but he never succeeded in taking the island part, which was the seat of Tyrian grandeur. That being so, it could hardly be said that Nebuchadnezzar wreaked the total havoc on Tyre that Ezekiel vituperatively predicted in the passages cited” (n.d.). Till and others suggest that the prophecies about Tyre’s utter destruction refer to the work of Nebuchadnezzar. After a closer look at the text, however, such an interpretation is misguided. Ezekiel began his prophecy by stating that “many nations” would come against Tyre (26:3). Then he proceeded to name Nebuchadnezzar, and stated that “he” would build a siege mound, “he” would slay with the sword, and “he” would do numerous other things (26:7-11). However, in 26:12, the pronoun shifts from the singular “he” to the plural “they.” It is in verse 12 and following that Ezekiel predicts that “they” will lay the stones and building material of Tyre in the “midst of the waters.” The shift in pronouns is of vast significance, since it shifts the subject of the action from Nebuchadnezzar (he) back to the many nations (they). Till and others fail to see this shift and mistakenly apply the utter destruction of Tyre to the efforts of Nebuchadnezzar."​

That's what I mean by black is white. One is just misunderstanding the words when he takes them at face value. He must go through linguistic gymnastics and notice where he becomes they to recognize that the prophecy was actually somehow fulfilled. Anybody can do that with any statement - simply tell people the words don't mean what they plainly mean. The prophecy says he will throw a ball upward at noon, but he threw it downward at midnight. But one must understand that it was noon on the other side of the word, and that what is up on one side is down from the perspective of the other, so you see, it was correct after all. A day is not really a day. Turn the other cheek doesn't really mean turn the other cheek. Meekness doesn't mean meekness.

Think about that phrase turn the other cheek. It was obviously meant literally when first uttered, or why choose those words? When is that ever the right thing to do?. Walk away, sure. Attempt to negotiate a peace, sure. Put up your hands to protect your face from a second strike, sure. But offer the other cheek? That's what you tell a slave or a frat boy during a hazing. That invites further violence. Oh, but it doesn't really mean that. It means forgive. That's apologetics. Of course it means to literally turn the other cheek. Look at the context. It's part of a lesson to those being exploited to stand down and take it, to be longsuffering, for meekness is a blessing, and your reward will come after death, where you will be an equal and wealthy in a great mansion.

And yes, meekness means meekness, not humility. Great and courageous people can be humble, but they are not meek.

Sounds like a contrived idea of natural and what that means.

I argued that supernatural was the internally inconsistent idea. Did you want to rebut that and explain why anything that exists and can interact with the natural should be called either undetectable in principle or not another aspect of nature? If a god exists, it is part of nature as well - the natural laws that enable it to remain intact over time, to store knowledge without it becoming corrupted, and to create a universe. These are the laws that must exist for a god to exist.

The creation story had to fit in with all manner of scientific knowledge however and it still does even when science says that the universe is 14 Billion years old and the days are seen as not literal. But of course the creation myth interpretation does not really bother about that and it can be seen as true in those terms and so not an issue at all.

Yes, you can decide a priori that the myth is fact and reinterpret its words to make it seem less wrong. But that is not critical thinking. That is faith-based thinking. The two have little more in common apart from both occurring in brains. They make mutually incompatible claims about reality, because only one is tethered to that reality - the one that examines it first before deciding what is true about it. If one starts with a belief that he is willing to believe by faith even if the evidence he never looked at contradicts that position, then he is not tethered to reality, but rather, to his own imagination, or more likely, to that of somebody else who he has chosen to believe uncritically.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Probably not. First off they got their most basic "fact" wrong. It does not take too long for that article to fail. Tyre always was the island city. Christian sources have to lie and try to claim that it was a city on the shore.

Tyre, built on an island and on the neighbouring mainland, was probably originally founded as a colony of Sidon. Mentioned in Egyptian records of the 14th century bce as being subject to Egypt, Tyre became independent when Egyptian influence in Phoenicia declined.17 Nov 2022

Tyre | town and historical site, Lebanon | Britannica

Tyre

Map of the siege of Tyre - Livius

Are you going to finish the article or just stick with the idea that Tyre was always just the island?

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
Yes, scientific prophecy uses a methodology whereas religious prognostication does not. Is that important to the argument that scientific prophecy is a higher quality of prophecy for being more specific? The purpose is not to vaunt science, but to show that religious prophecy doesn't rise to the level of scientific prophecies known to come from men, meaning it also comes from men or could have.

Most religious prophecies probably come from men but not the Biblical ones imo.

I wasn't convinced by it. It was typical religious apologetics trying to speciously explain why black is really white. The prophecy was that Tyre would be conquered and plundered. It wasn't, so the prophet changed his prophecy. From Dissonant Prophecy in Ezekiel 26 and 29 on JSTOR:

From your apologetics link:

"The city of Tyre was besieged by Nebuchadnezzar, who did major damage to the mainland as Ezekiel predicted, but the island city remained primarily unaffected. It is at this point in the discussion that certain skeptics view Ezekiel’s prophecy as a failed prediction. Farrell Till stated: “Nebuchadnezzar did capture the mainland suburb of Tyre, but he never succeeded in taking the island part, which was the seat of Tyrian grandeur. That being so, it could hardly be said that Nebuchadnezzar wreaked the total havoc on Tyre that Ezekiel vituperatively predicted in the passages cited” (n.d.). Till and others suggest that the prophecies about Tyre’s utter destruction refer to the work of Nebuchadnezzar. After a closer look at the text, however, such an interpretation is misguided. Ezekiel began his prophecy by stating that “many nations” would come against Tyre (26:3). Then he proceeded to name Nebuchadnezzar, and stated that “he” would build a siege mound, “he” would slay with the sword, and “he” would do numerous other things (26:7-11). However, in 26:12, the pronoun shifts from the singular “he” to the plural “they.” It is in verse 12 and following that Ezekiel predicts that “they” will lay the stones and building material of Tyre in the “midst of the waters.” The shift in pronouns is of vast significance, since it shifts the subject of the action from Nebuchadnezzar (he) back to the many nations (they). Till and others fail to see this shift and mistakenly apply the utter destruction of Tyre to the efforts of Nebuchadnezzar."​

That's what I mean by black is white. One is just misunderstanding the words when he takes them at face value. He must go through linguistic gymnastics and notice where he becomes they to recognize that the prophecy was actually somehow fulfilled. Anybody can do that with any statement - simply tell people the words don't mean what they plainly mean. The prophecy says he will throw a ball upward at noon, but he threw it downward at midnight. But one must understand that it was noon on the other side of the word, and that what is up on one side is down from the perspective of the other, so you see, it was correct after all. A day is not really a day. Turn the other cheek doesn't really mean turn the other cheek. Meekness doesn't mean meekness.

Think about that phrase turn the other cheek. It was obviously meant literally when first uttered, or why choose those words? When is that ever the right thing to do?. Walk away, sure. Attempt to negotiate a peace, sure. Put up your hands to protect your face from a second strike, sure. But offer the other cheek? That's what you tell a slave or a frat boy during a hazing. That invites further violence. Oh, but it doesn't really mean that. It means forgive. That's apologetics. Of course it means to literally turn the other cheek. Look at the context. It's part of a lesson to those being exploited to stand down and take it, to be longsuffering, for meekness is a blessing, and your reward will come after death, where you will be an equal and wealthy in a great mansion.

And yes, meekness means meekness, not humility. Great and courageous people can be humble, but they are not meek.

Well that was an exercise by you in trying to change the subject.
It is plain however that Jesus used hyperbole to make his point in the Sermon on the mount or all Christians would be without eyes and hands etc.
Concerning Tyre and the article, there is no linguistic gymnastics in noticing that the Ezek 26 prophecy does not speak about Nebuchadnezzar looting the city and that the pronoun does change to "they" from "he" in verse 12. That is just reading what the words actually say,,,,,,,,,,,,, something you make a noise about doing even when you refuse to do it.
I find this same thing with other skeptics to whom I show that the Tyre prophecy was fulfilled. It is not blindness, because you do see that the pronoun changes to "they". I guess it is just an unwillingness to accept the facts and what it might mean for your idea of Biblical prophecy.
Also personally I do not think the Jews would keep Ezekiel there as a prophet of God if he made mistakes like that. 100% accuracy is the standard for a Biblical prophet.

I argued that supernatural was the internally inconsistent idea. Did you want to rebut that and explain why anything that exists and can interact with the natural should be called either undetectable in principle or not another aspect of nature? If a god exists, it is part of nature as well - the natural laws that enable it to remain intact over time, to store knowledge without it becoming corrupted, and to create a universe. These are the laws that must exist for a god to exist.

All you are doing is making stuff up to suite yourself and then saying that your make up proves that the idea of the supernatural is internally inconsistent.

Yes, you can decide a priori that the myth is fact and reinterpret its words to make it seem less wrong. But that is not critical thinking. That is faith-based thinking. The two have little more in common apart from both occurring in brains. They make mutually incompatible claims about reality, because only one is tethered to that reality - the one that examines it first before deciding what is true about it. If one starts with a belief that he is willing to believe by faith even if the evidence he never looked at contradicts that position, then he is not tethered to reality, but rather, to his own imagination, or more likely, to that of somebody else who he has chosen to believe uncritically.

So seeing the creation story as myth does not work for you. It did not work for me either and that is why I went with the creation story being historically accurate and found that it was (taking science as close to accurate in a general sense), in an unscientific way and if I interpreted it in a literal way but not as the YECers do.
But for you it is to interpret it as the YECers do or nothing even though there is evidence that "day" is not used in a literal way. I find this same thing with other skeptics also.
It was still good for me to go through the process of seeing that creation story fits with science even if nobody else can see it.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is plain however that Jesus used hyperbole to make his point in the Sermon on the mount or all Christians would be without eyes and hands etc.

Your argument seems to be that if Jesus used hyperbole somewhere, that you are free to call any other comment hyperbole as well. OK. It's full of hyperbole, and we get to choose what we'll call that without any criteria. The meek aren't really blessed. That's hyperbole. It also says, "everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment." If Jesus used hyperbole, then this must be that too. Not everybody. Stop exaggerating. Then there's, " I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God." Stop with the drama already! That's hyperbole. You can do that some of the time, but let's not get carried away.

And why stop with the words of Jesus? How about applying this standard to all scripture: call what you like hyperbole, or metaphor. Let's start with Jesus' divinity. That's got to be hyperbole. Sure, he was a nice guy that claimed moral authority and gave commandments, but plenty of people do that. All of the Abrahamic religions feature prophets and messengers. And that resurrection is surely metaphorical, not literal. That's clearly hyperbole. Such things don't happen.

This is my criticism of biblical apologetics. The apologist simply makes the words say whatever they should have said instead. Up really means down if you turn your head a bit and read it right.

Concerning Tyre and the article, there is no linguistic gymnastics in noticing that the Ezek 26 prophecy does not speak about Nebuchadnezzar looting the city and that the pronoun does change to "they" from "he" in verse 12. That is just reading what the words actually say

Does it really matter if the prophecy were fulfilled? It's low quality prophecy. The siege of an ancient city is not unlikely, especially if one allows it to occur in parts. I gave you examples of high quality prophecy for comparison. Why aren't dates given? Why doesn't it say that the siege will come from two forces and name them both? Because that would be superhuman, and these prophecies are very human.

All you are doing is making stuff up to suite yourself and then saying that your make up proves that the idea of the supernatural is internally inconsistent.

I asked you to refute it if you could, and you declined. That's pretty much the end of any debate - the last plausible, unrefuted claim. Did I give you the courtroom analogy? A trial is a debate, each side offering evidence in support of guilt or innocence, and each side addressing the claims of the other and attempting to show why they are impossible or at least doubtable. If the jury is able to assess these arguments and does its duty, it casts its verdict for the last plausible, unrebutted argument. Who made the case that the other couldn't falsify. That's me in this discussion. You made a claim about the supernatural, I explained why it was an incoherent claim, and you accepted the argument unrebutted, offering instead what we read above, which essentially says that you weren't convinced. But there's no evidence that you understood the argument, since you never commented on it apart from dismissing it out of hand without rebuttal. That's concession in dialectic.

But for you it is to interpret it as the YECers do or nothing even though there is evidence that "day" is not used in a literal way.

Once again, I gave you the rebuttal to that claim and you didn't respond to it. Why should I think that it is I who is mistaken and not you? If you don't rebut, you concede. Where's your counterargument that falsifies mine or tries to? If you have none, perhaps I am correct. A correct claim cannot be rebutted (falsified) for obvious reasons, which is why this method is used in academic settings to decide truth, as with the courtroom example I offered. Also, peer review. It's how competing hypotheses are evaluated. Somebody produces an evidenced argument that can't be successfully rebutted, and the matter is considered resolved.

It was still good for me to go through the process of seeing that creation story fits with science even if nobody else can see it.

But the two (three, really, if one counts both Genesis creation myths and the scientific account) are mutually exclusive. They contradict one another. This is yet another example of what faith-based thinking generates - of deciding what is true before examining the evidence that might support or contradict the belief, and then grappling with that after the fact, trying to emphasize the importance of similarities and trying to make the contradiction go away with verbal gymnastics. They say that seeing is believing, but only for the empiricist. For the faith-based thinker, it's the other way around. The order is reversed. Believing is seeing. He sees what he chose to see.