• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gravity and the Expanding Universe

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Gods' spirit is good (Psalms 143:10) and it was God who created, God is Creator -Revelation 4:11.

Ok, forget gen 1:1

So it says in the bible. And some believe the bible to be gospel without evidence.

ecco

Veteran Member
Sure our ancestors were wrong about those things, though we have to be fair. I mean, how would you have interpreted those things?

My understanding is that many Christians believe the Bible is the True Word of God.

My understanding is that many Christians believe the Bible was authored by God.

As such, it is good from time to time to remind these folks that those beliefs are obviously wrong. If there are enough instances like that, and there are, then the whole belief system is suspect.

ecco

Veteran Member
I find the moon is a source of ' reflected sun's light ' .
Please notice at Genesis 1:16-18 because the moon's light was 'made' to do something.
The sun would rule by day, and the stars and moon by night.
Kind of like an adult might have a child be ' made ' to do something, like made to sit in a chair.

You can try to rationalize it any way you want, but ...
Any writing that claims the moon is a source of light is based on ignorance.

Any writing that claims venus is a star is based on ignorance.

ecco

Veteran Member
If you or I had lived 4,000 years ago I have no doubt we would have come to the conclusion that the earth is indeed the center.
How in the world could anybody possible expect ancient people to know what we know today?

So you admit that the OT is not fact. So you admit that the OT was written down by people based on the knowledge common to the people of the times.

How about the stories of Adam & Eve and Cain and Abel and Noah and the Ark? Are you admitting that these are just made-up stories also?

Besides, the Bible is about Jesus Christ who in turn revealed God.

If you think that is what the Bible is about, you are not in agreement with the people who compiled the Bible.

It sounds like you would be a lot happier if Marcion had won out.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Easy, just read them from the point of view of someone without atom smashers and the Hubble telescope.

No need, the Bible contradicts common sense science for several hundred years.

There are plenty of books out there that show the scriptures do not contradict science. Or you could just read the scriptures themselves to see for yourself. Of course, like all science, you'd have to approach it without preconceived biases.

Plenty of books? Too vague and anecdotal to justify a Biblical agenda

BTW, in no way is science infallible. To think so is to make it a god and I don't think that is palatable to even the most ardent Bible hater.

Who ever claimed that science is infallible?!?!?!?

Biblical geocentrism contradicts science and common knowledge today. The description of Creation in the Pentateuch contradicts science big time. There has never been any evidence of Noah Flood either of the world nor a regional flood.

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
It's a good thing science has checks and balances, given that about half of what science once thought has changed.

If you have a problem with that, you probably would have been happier living back in the days before recorded history. Back then, you would have had the same understanding of everything that your father and his father had. If he died of a heart attack when you were ten, it was a pretty good indication that you would die of a heart attack when your child was ten.

You would have attributed the locusts eating all your crops to god being angry with you.
You probably would have believed that that really bad rainy season and all the flooding affected the whole earth.

I guess the question becomes, have we finally arrived at the pinnacle of science, or will we discover yet again that half of what we think we know today is wrong? And yet you have no problem with that.

Hopefully, we will keep on learning and increasing our knowledge of nature.

That is opposite of belief in books that were written by ignorant people three and two thousand years ago.

People today know that the type of wood in a railing does not affect the spots of one's goats. But your good book still says it does.

Books on science provide evidence for their assertions.

Your good book implies that someone accurately wrote down over 1000 words from the sermon on the mount but gives no indication who allegedly recorded those words - or how. It just assumes that everyone will accept it as true. In other words, your religion just keeps repeating the same mistruths over and over.

ecco

Veteran Member
Since we are created from His dynamic energy then God has the right to exercise regulation over His creation (us).
Your god created the earth and man and woman and the other animals and all the plants.

Your god got upset with the offspring of his man and woman and killed not only them but all the animals and all the plants too.

A three-year-old can build a stack of blocks.

A three-year-old can get upset with his creation and knock it all down.

I don't see much difference.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Sounds like you were there to witness the beginning. Surely, that can't be what you are saying, so how do you know?
This is where you just disqualified yourself for your claim about science not contradicting the Bible.

Why on Earth do you think that someone would have to have been there?

gnostic

The Lost One
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Please notice Genesis 1:16 because there we find the word MADE and Not the word: CREATE.

Day One light was CREATED. See Genesis 1:3, then on Day Four God MADE the 'already created' light do something.
In other words He 'made' the 'created' light to rule; rule over day and night - Genesis 1:18

Kind of like an adult can procreate a child then have the existing child be MADE to sit in a chair, MADE to go to school, etc.

You are right, URAVIP2ME, in many translations, 1:16 does use the word, “made”, not “create”, but you are quipping over the distinction...you are playing semantic game over trivial meaning, and your justification.

Second, many of the translations don’t use the word “create” in 1:3, after it saying god said “Let there be light”; often it is just translated to “...and there was light”.

The word “create” or “created” were never used in 1:3, just the words “there was”, and yet the assumption have always being god created light.

No, URAVIP2ME, the word “create” or “created”, just “there was” in 1:3, or in day 3, in 1:9 (dry land) & 1:11 (vegetation), where they “and it was so”, never using word “create”, but you would presume that he did “create”.

And you are quipping with “made”, not being “create” in 1:16, and yet the word “made” are used in day 2 with the firmament/dome/vault/expanse.

And different translations sometimes used the word “make” or “made” and sometimes “create” or “created”. For instance, in some translations of 1:25, the word “made” is used in most translations, not “create”, and yet you would presume it would mean create.

No, URAVIP2ME, you are ignoring when made/created being use elsewhere, interchangeably, depending on the translators. And that make your reply, based on whatever you have agenda you have just to prove some meaningless points.

Last edited:

rrobs

They are not evidence but stories in the bible

No, of course christianity wont release my name from their records, so they can keep their numbers up. But in no way could i be considered christian. Given the pain, mayhem and death i have seen christians administer i would consider it an insult to be considered one. You don't want to insult me do you?
Given the pain, mayhem, and death that people in general foster, do you consider it an insult to be considered a person?

God is not interested in keeping up the numbers. Your being born again of incorruptible seed has nothing to do with numbers.

rrobs

So you admit that the OT is not fact. So you admit that the OT was written down by people based on the knowledge common to the people of the times.
Of course I admit the OT was written by people based on their knowledge at that time. That's the whole point of why they didn't realize how cellular metabolism works for example. Are you basing your knowledge on what they'll know 2,000 years from now? If so, it's a good trick.

How about the stories of Adam & Eve and Cain and Abel and Noah and the Ark? Are you admitting that these are just made-up stories also?
No.

If you think that is what the Bible is about, you are not in agreement with the people who compiled the Bible.

It sounds like you would be a lot happier if Marcion had won out.
I couldn't give a rat's a*s about what the compilers thought. Here's what the scriptures actually say:

John 5:39,

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Care to twist that around to say the scriptures are not about Jesus?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Given the pain, mayhem, and death that people in general foster, do you consider it an insult to be considered a person?

God is not interested in keeping up the numbers. Your being born again of incorruptible seed has nothing to do with numbers.

That is natural, mocking children to tears, blowing up shopping centres is not.

But christianity is oh and did you ask him, pray tell how you knoe your gods mind

rrobs

No need, the Bible contradicts common sense science for several hundred years.

Plenty of books? Too vague and anecdotal to justify a Biblical agenda

Who ever claimed that science is infallible?!?!?!?

Biblical geocentrism contradicts science and common knowledge today. The description of Creation in the Pentateuch contradicts science big time. There has never been any evidence of Noah Flood either of the world nor a regional flood.
Here's how I see things between you and I; you can let science serve you for 90 years. I'll let the scriptures serve me forever in paradise. Personally, I think I'll get the better deal.

Were you ever a Bible believer, or am I mixing you up with someone else?

rrobs

That is natural, mocking children to tears, blowing up shopping centres is not.
Sorry, but not sure what you mean. I can tell you that God's ultimate plan is no more sorrow, tears, sickness, or death. It's a huge mistake to judge God's character from the OT. Few of those people had God's spirit and so they were basically incapable of truly understanding Him and His nature. Why do you think Jesus came? John makes it quite plain that Jesus came to do God's will and show us who He truly is. Since all born again believers have God's spirit permanently installed (unlike OT where it was not available - available only after the Day of Pentecost), we now know that God is love, that He is light and there is no darkness in him.

But christianity is oh and did you ask him, pray tell how you knoe your gods mind

1 Cor 2:16,

For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
Surely you can't argue that the scriptures say Jesus knew a thing or two about God.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Sorry, but not sure what you mean.

May i suggest you research a little about the terror that religions, including christianity practice?

I can tell you that God's ultimate plan is no more sorrow, tears, sickness, or death.

Right, you can tell me what a god wants? Wow, publish and be famous.

Few of those people had God's spirit and so they were basically incapable of truly understanding Him

Funny how your god thinks exactly the same way as you eh?

Why do you think Jesus came?

Thats a whole subject on its own, first you need to convince me he was the son of a god because i have seen what is said to be his dads gravestone and it seems he was not a god but a Roman soldier

Since all born again believers have God's spirit permanently installed (

Great selling point. But im happy with my own spirit, my own life, my own freedom.

Surely you can't argue that the scriptures say Jesus knew a thing or two about God.

Yes i can. All you can say is that the bible says... What i say is that jesus was an anarchist executed for his crimes.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
May i suggest you research a little about the terror that religions, including christianity practice
Rather, ' including Christendom ' because 'Christendom' is mostly Christian in name only - Matthew 7:21-23.
The terror or troubles that religions practice have created a hauntingly dangerous religious climate brewing in today's world.
This is a reason why the political will suddenly turn on the corrupted religious world which is in harmony with 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3.
The political (kings) will turn on that religious (queen) and the commercial world (businessmen) will mourn her loss - Revelation 18:3-11

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
My understanding is that many Christians believe the Bible is the True Word of God.
My understanding is that many Christians believe the Bible was authored by God.
As such, it is good from time to time to remind these folks that those beliefs are obviously wrong. If there are enough instances like that, and there are, then the whole belief system is suspect.

Then you are going to be in for quite a shock when the powers that be will suddenly turn on the religious world starting with un-faithful Christendom.
( 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3)
So, it is a good time to remind that ignoring such Scripture is what is wrong.

ppp

Then you are going to be in for quite a shock when the powers that be will suddenly turn on the religious world starting with un-faithful Christendom.
( 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3)
So, it is a good time to remind that ignoring such Scripture is what is wrong.
ecco is correct

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Here's how I see things between you and I; you can let science serve you for 90 years. I'll let the scriptures serve me forever in paradise. Personally, I think I'll get the better deal.

I do not believe you responded to the points of my post. There is most definitely obvious conflicts between common sense science and the Bible, which you have side stepped.

I am a Baha'i I do not see any conflict between the science of our natural existence and God's Creation. If there is a conflict there is are problems your not addressing, which is the subject of the thread.

Were you ever a Bible believer, or am I mixing you up with someone else?

A Bible believer? I was raise a Christian in the Roman Church and various Protestant churches of different denominations. I consider all the diversity of Christianity I was exposed to as 'Bible believers.' If you have a narrower definition it is the reason for the lack of communication. The study of the scriptures has been a major part of my life for those 50 years as well as science. It is enough to conclude that your questioning science has further problems.