• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gravitational Waves. oh really?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
a recent science documentary about two guys building on Albert's work....
turns out....Albert referred to his own effort as.....
his greatest blunder

but you should know that......
That had nothing to do with the speed of light or SR or GR.

He referred to what we today call the cosmological constant. He removed it or added it (don't remember which) without any explanation because he didn't like it. It has to do with the expansion of the universe, not the speed of light. It was in relation to the work on the universe and it's geometrical shape and expansion. This had nothing at all to do with the constancy of speed of light.

But you should know that since you watched a TV show about it.

--edit

"Once Einstein knew the universe was expanding, he discarded the cosmological constant as an unnecessary fudge factor. He later called it the "biggest blunder of his life," according to his fellow physicist George Gamow. Today astronomers refer to one theory of dark energy as Einstein's cosmological constant."

Do you see? It's not about constancy of c.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That had nothing to do with the speed of light or SR or GR.

He referred to what we today call the cosmological constant. He removed it or added it (don't remember which) without any explanation because he didn't like it. It has to do with the expansion of the universe, not the speed of light. It was in relation to the work on the universe and it's geometrical shape and expansion. This had nothing at all to do with the constancy of speed of light.

But you should know that since you watched a TV show about it.

--edit

"Once Einstein knew the universe was expanding, he discarded the cosmological constant as an unnecessary fudge factor. He later called it the "biggest blunder of his life," according to his fellow physicist George Gamow. Today astronomers refer to one theory of dark energy as Einstein's cosmological constant."

Do you see? It's not about constancy of c.
and all motion is relative......

Thief

Rogue Theologian
did you read the article.....?

as I read it.....some of the claims are a bit fantastic...

seems to me....detecting a disturbance as they detail the event.....
would be less than the beat of a butterflies wings at this distance

I don't believe in g'waves

it will take more than the article you posted to convince me

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
and all motion is relative......
And? How does "motion is relative" lead to that "Einstein's biggest blunder regarding cosmological constant" would mean the same as "Einstein doubted the constancy of speed of light"?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
It's a good thing that the Cosmos doesn't always follow man's mathematics.
Maybe the 'blunders' are the precedents of what's not known ?
Maybe so......why doesn't all matter and energy go in different directions while expanding ?
Why are there collisions among galaxies ?
Where is the true source of the supposed beginning ?
~
Still confused am I
~
'mud

leibowde84

Veteran Member
did you read the article.....?

as I read it.....some of the claims are a bit fantastic...

seems to me....detecting a disturbance as they detail the event.....
would be less than the beat of a butterflies wings at this distance

I don't believe in g'waves

it will take more than the article you posted to convince me
You are free to distrust the experts.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
All motion is relative to the 'supposed' beginning,
when there was no time, distance, or direction.
And I'll always wonder at the real 'source' for it all.
But....direction for all entities is totally random.
Baffling !
~
'mud

VioletVortex

I think that gravity is a distortion in a field of gravitons. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Therefore, gravity would be an existing field that is attracted towards matter. Because planets have more mass than the objects on them do, the objects are pulled towards the planet. The gravitons are also being attracted to small objects, but these gravitons are in turn being attracted to larger objects such as planets, so the gravitons act like ropes.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I don't think so.
According to special relativity, anything that moves at the velocity of light would be frozen
in its own local time. So it could not actually be moving at all from its own perspective.
Motion requires time to move.

So time for the gravity wave would stop. So the gravity wave could not move.
Fascinating! I haven't been to this forum for a long time, so missed this completely.

Has anybody noticed that this is, in essence, the same argument made by Zeno of Elea for why things cannot move, or why Achilles can never win a race with the tortoise?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Fascinating! I haven't been to this forum for a long time, so missed this completely.

Has anybody noticed that this is, in essence, the same argument made by Zeno of Elea for why things cannot move, or why Achilles can never win a race with the tortoise?
would you like to start a topic thread on Zeno?

Parsimony

Actually, what he has written is a misunderstanding of relativity: there is no reference frame where an object moving at the speed of light is frozen in place (which would be a contradiction anyway, if it's moving at all then it obviously can't be frozen). He actually has it backwards: for an object moving at the speed of light, time would seem to be infinitely sped up such that all events in the universe happen simultaneously.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist

Great!
There is someone who gets it.
Solving Zeno's paradox is the first step to understanding how to unify quantum theory with relativity.
Start here:
http://www.flight-light-and-spin.com/zeno-and-planck.htm

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
Actually, what he has written is a misunderstanding of relativity: there is no reference frame where an object moving at the speed of light is frozen in place (which would be a contradiction anyway, if it's moving at all then it obviously can't be frozen). He actually has it backwards: for an object moving at the speed of light, time would seem to be infinitely sped up such that all events in the universe happen simultaneously.

No. Special Relativity absolutely claims that time slows down as the object approaches the velocity of light:

lorentz-transformation-time.jpg

Where V is a proportion of the velocity of light,
such that as V gets to 1 (velocity of light),
the denominator becomes 0, so anything at the velocity of light
would have time take infinitely long.

Besides, its more commonly expressed
that travelling to Andromeda galaxy near the velocity of light
would make the traveler virtually ageless
compared to those who stayed at the low velocity of the Earth.