• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gratuity in the form of religious materials

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Here is an article I found this morning...

"Some fundamentalist Christians think this practical joke is a good idea"

The long and short of it is a customer left what appeared to be a 20 dollar bill, but was in fact fake with scripture on the opposing side. Looked like this:

Screen-Shot-2015-12-31-at-12.59.55-AM.png

Food for thought:
Do you think this kind of action is appropriate?
Is it an accurate reflection of the spiritual belief in question?

As for me, I think including some materials in addition to a tip isn't a bad way to spread the word about your tradition. However, this is blatant deception and would turn me away all together. What do you think?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Personally I dislike such marketing of religion. My experience has been that the most holy people don't talk about it - they live it. And by living it they become attractive to others in the best sense of the word. Then at least some people gather around and want to understand how to live a holy life.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
And by living it they become attractive to others in the best sense of the word. Then at least some people gather around and want to understand how to live a holy life.
Very well said, I have no heard it worded that way before.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
There is also a religious name for people like this: Sinners.

They are cheating their server and depriving them of fair recompense. The servers are providing service to earn a living, not to learn about someone else's religion.

Although I agree with you, tipping is a privilege not a right.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Although I agree with you, tipping is a privilege not a right.
No. Tipping is an obligation, if you get service.
That is how the servers get paid. Sort of an honor system. If you can afford to eat there you can afford a reasonable tip.
If you get bad service it's different.
And no, a religious tract doesn't count in any way towards paying for what you got. It is the casual abuse of the honor system. Their religion taught them to cheat and then tell the staff which religion taught them that.
Tom

Skwim

Veteran Member
No. Tipping is an obligation, if you get service
That is how the servers get paid. Sort of an honor system. If you can afford to eat there you can afford a reasonable tip.
If you get bad service it's different.
Right, so tipping is not an obligation.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Right, so tipping is not an obligation.
This thread is about diners leaving a religious tract instead of paying for the service they got. Leaving a tip that is appropriate is obligatory. If you plan to do something else, it is a violation of your honor not to tell the staff that before you sit down.
In case it is not obvious, I know a lot of people who work in the business. Dishonest people cheat them with regularity.
It is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.
Tom

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Passing out religious tracts to servers in lieu of tips strikes me as vulgar, cheap, insulting, fraudulent, and cruel. Aside from that I can see nothing wrong with the practice.

Why is it always the Evangelical/Fundamentalists who do these things?

Corthos

Great Old One
Just some verses that come to mind...

Jeremiah 22:13
Woe to him who builds his house without righteousness And his upper rooms without justice, Who uses his neighbor's services without pay And does not give him his wages,

Pro 3:27
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act.

And my favorite...

Deuteronomy 24:15
Pay them their wages each day before sunset, because they are poor and are counting on it. Otherwise they may cry to the LORD against you, and you will be guilty of sin.

How disappointing.

Skwim

Veteran Member
This thread is about diners leaving a religious tract instead of paying for the service they got. Leaving a tip that is appropriate is obligatory. If you plan to do something else, it is a violation of your honor not to tell the staff that before you sit down.
So we should have to tell our waiter that if his service is going to be atrocious he's not going to get a tip? I honestly don't think waiters need such an obvious warning.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
So we should have to tell our waiter that if his service is going to be atrocious he's not going to get a tip? I honestly don't think waiters need such an obvious warning.
Nobody suggested anything like that. What we are talking about is stiffing the staff out of their pay.

Religious people are notorious for believing that their religion exempts them from the rules everyone else follows. That is what this thread is about.
Tom

Corthos

Great Old One
Passing out religious tracts to servers in lieu of tips strikes me as vulgar, cheap, insulting, fraudulent, and cruel. Aside from that I can see nothing wrong with the practice.

Why is it always the Evangelical/Fundamentalists who do these things?

Meh... Because Fundamentalists are fooled into thinking their agendas divinely surpass all other rules of the world, including contradictory verses from their own holy texts that they are supposed to revere. This is the problem with perpetuating the idea that a holy text supersedes EVERYTHING else. That ideal is a tool that can easily manipulate people into justifying their actions via their interpretations of that holy text. No religion holds answer to ALL truths of the world, both physical and spiritual IMO.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Here is an article I found this morning...

"Some fundamentalist Christians think this practical joke is a good idea"

The long and short of it is a customer left what appeared to be a 20 dollar bill, but was in fact fake with scripture on the opposing side. Looked like this:

Screen-Shot-2015-12-31-at-12.59.55-AM.png

Food for thought:
Do you think this kind of action is appropriate?
Is it an accurate reflection of the spiritual belief in question?

As for me, I think including some materials in addition to a tip isn't a bad way to spread the word about your tradition. However, this is blatant deception and would turn me away all together. What do you think?

I was waiting for something more unique since Chick Publications. Still waiting......

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Meh... Because Fundamentalists are fooled into thinking their agendas divinely surpass all other rules of the world, including contradictory verses from their own holy texts that they are supposed to revere. This is the problem with perpetuating the idea that a holy text supersedes EVERYTHING else. That ideal is a tool that can easily manipulate people into justifying their actions via their interpretations of that holy text. No religion holds answer to ALL truths of the world, both physical and spiritual IMO.

That strikes me as a brilliant analysis. Thanks! And welcome to RF!