• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grace Alone?

Truth in love

I've been told many times that the Bible teaches salvation by Grace alone.

I found the following related to saved and kingdom of heaven.

Baptism Acts 11:14 and 10:48 mark 16:16 1 Peter 3:21

Belief mark 16:16, Luke 8:12, acts 16:31, heb 10:39

Believe and confess Rom 10:9

Call on the Lord Acts 2:21 acts 4:12 Rom 10:13

Can be neglected Hebrew 2:3

Christ Luke 19:10 John 3:17 John 10:9

Continue in doctrine 1 Tim 4:16

Enduring Matt 24:13 mark 13:13

Faith Luke 7:50 eph 2:8

Faith and works James 2:14 Phip 2:12

Grace Act 11:15 eph 2:8

Gospel 1 Cor 14:1-2

Hope Rom 8:24

Knowledge of the truth 1 Tim 2:4

Lose our life Luke 9:24

Love of the truth 2 Thes 2:10

Not just seeking Luke 13:24

Not works, washings and mercy Titus 3:5

Prayer Philip 1:19

Repentance 2 cor 7:10

Righteous 1 Peter 4:18

Can anyone please explain who "Grace alone" is biblical?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is an excellent thread, I want to thank you for it before I begin.

Perhaps, this Du'a shows it to be the case and how and why (what they mean):

Sahifa Sajjadia-Dua 10 In Seeking Asylum with God

It seems good actions are really embracing God's help while God is more worthy to be attributed them (by his grace) while evil is more despite his grace, and we are more worthy of responsibility over them.

At the end good actions are what draws you closer to God, but none of our actions through his justice have merit, and it's through his grace and intercession of his chosen ones, that they ascend and take light form, he removes their evil mix by his grace.

At the end, it's as said by Imam (a), if God wishes he will punish us and it will be act of justice, or he will pardon us, and it's an act from grace.

Where will go to other then God's door? But God's door is a grace and the light by which our actions take meaning is there by his grace, even though, we long a go merited it to be gone and that our hearts be sealed.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Different people mean different things when they say this, so there are bad explanations out there. There could be something reasonable.

Think of it like this: the Jewish people had a covenant of peace. Christianity wanted to do the same thing but worldwide. The NT authors argued that in order for this to happen there had to be forgiveness of all wrongs -- undeserved grace, and this undeserved grace could replace the many things Jews did to remain at peace with one another. Also it would change people, make them ready for conversion. This in modern times has been called 'Grace alone' but is confusing due to language drift and cultural drift and various other kinds of drift. There have been state wars over it, and state wars do nothing but distort communication. We are all vulnerable to superstitions and nice sounding words, too. Down deep the principle is perfectly true that if you want to be at peace you must be willing to forgive wrongs. From this principle we forgive our enemies, forgive each other, overlook doctrinal disputes and take care of the poor (who can do nothing for us).

InChrist

Free4ever

I think Grace alone simply means that salvation and eternal life is a gift which is to be received from God. It is not something we can earn or achieve by human effort.

What is the definition of grace? | GotQuestions.org

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I am no Christian, but I will try to help you understand what they are trying to say.

Maybe grace is something that tied in all these Biblical quotes?

I think Grace alone simply means that salvation and eternal life is a gift which is to be received from God. It is not something we can earn or achieve by human effort.

What is the definition of grace? | GotQuestions.org

As Protestant Christianity would say ... winner winner chicken dinner. I think we have your answer. (If you are a Christian)

Truth in love

I am no Christian, but I will try to help you understand what they are trying to say.

Maybe grace is something that tied in all these Biblical quotes?

As Protestant Christianity would say ... winner winner chicken dinner. I think we have your answer. (If you are a Christian)

Mae can’t earn it. That said the Bible clearly tells us a lot of get off our butts and do. Yet they often attack this. That’s the pet I don’t understand.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Mae can’t earn it. That said the Bible clearly tells us a lot of get off our butts and do. Yet they often attack this. That’s the part I don’t understand.

The Bible also clearly warns all Christians to be awake to the return of Christ, so one is not caught out like a thief in the night.

This warning also reflects what it is to be saved, to be a Christian that embraces all humanity.

What would it be if one loved Jesus with all their heart and Soul, practiced faith in virtue and morals, but then rejected the returned Christ?

What we do know is that Christ was to have have fulfilled his promise when the Jews again return to the Holy Land, which has been a fact for many decades now. So is it possible that Christ has come like a thief in the night to the vast majority of Christians?

Regards Tony

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I've been told many times that the Bible teaches salvation by Grace alone
IF we do our best, God will do the rest
(Above line explains it completely imo)

So, we need Grace
Grace is granted by God
I follow His instructions
The more effort I put in
The more Grace God Grants

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Yes... Eph. 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

I think the problem is that people mix up forgiveness and what is the gift for those who are righteous. Salvation means that person is saved from the judgment, sins are forgiven. But, it is only like a new beginning. After one is saved from the judgment, he should reject sin and become righteous, because eternal life is promised only for righteous. Salvation, or forgiveness of sins, is not useful, if person doesn't repent, which is why I believe Jesus said:

Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more.
John 8:11

...Sin no more, so that nothing worse happens to you.”
John 5:14

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think the problem is that people mix up forgiveness and what is the gift for those who are righteous. Salvation means that person is saved from the judgment, sins are forgiven. But, it is only like a new beginning. After one is saved from the judgment, he should reject sin and become righteous, because eternal life is promised only for righteous. Salvation, or forgiveness of sins, is not useful, if person doesn't repent, which is why I believe Jesus said:

Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more.
John 8:11

...Sin no more, so that nothing worse happens to you.”
John 5:14

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

I agree with you, but I want to add, if a person repents, but fails to his promise, and is perishing, and falling, he is moving towards disbelief true, but as long as he or she doesn't despair and increases their hope and fear in God, God will not abandon him or her. The chose guides will also be there with him or her, and will intercede for him or her so long as he or she holds on to them.

This is part of the trial. Sometimes God doesn't help, he brings his power to very little amount, and tests us if we will reach out to him. Sometimes we sin, and he wishes for our sins to fight us and sees if we will let the darkness overcome us or we will fight.

So long as we don't give up on God's mercy and hold on to his handhold, we are still upon the path.

What is not forgiven is when we disbelieve in the nature of the holy spirit and guide and say the judgment of God's balanced light is evil and wrong, and deny it's channel (the chosen ones and revelations).

So long as we believe in unseen nature of God's light and the holy spirit, and indeed we should fear our sins in that they can destroy this belief, we aren't what Quran terms Fasiqeen.

God will guide such souls, so long as they hold on to him. Their sins don't prevent him from doing so. Rather, he will help them fight of their sins through his holy anointed kings of the spiritual realm.

There is three scenarios for believers they can pray:

(1) "If my sins have not brought me close, I've made this confession of (sin on my part) a means towards you"
(2) "If my life is to become a pasture of Satan, then take my life (that I die) before your hate towards me becomes firm" (that is before I disbelieve in you)
(3) Forgive my sins, overlook them, revive my soul and heart and give me the best faith, best station, and make of highest proximity (possible of me) to you and help me defeat evil sins, evil Jinn, the sorcery and live the best life possible for me.

The ideal is 3, but those who don't reach 3, 1 and 2 which are similar but slightly different (there is some overlap too), are a way to God as well and his pleasure.

We can be falling but remain holding to God.

1 and 2 is so risky, but you should pray for all three. Just in case. 3 is not reached by all people of heaven which is why there is levels of paradise.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

grace is an act of unconditional love. kind of like a parent that doesn't stop loving their offspring simply because they erred. much like the prodigal son.

I agree with you, but I want to add, if a person repents, but fails to his promise, and is perishing, and falling, he is moving towards disbelief true, but as long as he or she doesn't despair and increases their hope and fear in God, God will not abandon him or her. The chose guides will also be there with him or her, and will intercede for him or her so long as he or she holds on to them.

This is part of the trial. Sometimes God doesn't help, he brings his power to very little amount, and tests us if we will reach out to him. Sometimes we sin, and he wishes for our sins to fight us and sees if we will let the darkness overcome us or we will fight.

So long as we don't give up on God's mercy and hold on to his handhold, we are still upon the path.....

I agree, people may fail and people are probably never perfect, but as long as person doesn't reject God, he has hope and God is merciful. :)

For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises up again; But the wicked are overthrown by calamity.
Pro. 24:16