• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GPS Y2K bug bites next month

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
GPS Flaw: Security Expert Says He Won't Fly April 6

There's a bit more to worry about. Over the past 20 years, many individual GPS device and receiving-system manufacturers have restarted the clock on their own, usually to compensate for a device-specific error, and they could encounter time-rollover problems at any given in the next 20 years.

"The failure is not limited to April 6/7 2019," the U.S. Naval Observatory presentation says. "A common fix for week-number ambiguity [in some GPS devices and receivers] was to hard-code [a] new pivot date, which shifts [the April 6 rollover] event to [an] unknown date/time in future."

So that this doesn't happen again any time soon, GPS devices made in the past decade use 13 bits for the week counter, yielding a total of 8,192 weeks or 157 years. Those devices will not have to restart time until 2137, by which time our descendants will have created a whole new set of technological problems.

Ellen Brown

In my experience, the whole system bites it once or twice a year for an hour or so. I had expected it to do something because of Pole Shift or Solar Flares. That's why, if I am traveling in my car outside the city, I always carry at least map book. No reason for alarm here. If I was in a boat or light plane, it would be wise to be aware... On Commercial flights, I wonder if they still have inertial navigation? To not would be profoundly stupid.

Just looked. Apparently they are available for light planes, but I do not know the cost.