• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Government slammed over report on indigenous incarceration

Audie

Veteran Member
The problem is they throw the book at aborigine's crimes while white people get away with the same. Not much different to the situation In USA but to a greater extent.

Has a whiff of virtue signaling.

Could you provide some facts here, or is t his
just your opinion?

Audie

Veteran Member
I know. Sadly with our current leadership we are grasping at straws to make us look better. This gave me a very slim one. Seriously treating minorities fairly can be a rather difficult task. Especially since some degree of racism appears to be a natural reaction to those not in one's group. That does not make it right, but it does make it a problem that will not go away on its own.

In the USA, certain minorities have much higher
crime rates than others, and, are therefore in
jail more.

What is fair can be pretty difficult to figure out.
IF someone commits a serious crime, what is to be
done, keeping fairness in mind?

Flip side, other minorities do too well academically
and get over represented in University, so they
are discriminated against to keep them out.

danieldemol

Premium Member
BTW, some years ago I watched the movie "Rabbit-Proof Fence", and is that a reasonably accurate portrayal of what really happened if you saw it?
I haven’t seen the movie, and am not well informed on Aboriginal history enough to say if it was accurate in it’s portrayal.

Hopefully someone else can answer your question, sorry.

Cooky

Veteran Member
‘The Law Council of Australia has slammed the federal government's failure to respond to a comprehensive report into the "stark over-representation" of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Australian prisons - despite the government having commissioned the report in the first place.

"Pathways to Justice" by the Australian Law Reform Commission made extensive recommendations into incarceration rates a year ago - including that Aboriginal-led solutions are essential and effective.’

Read more here;
'International embarrassment': Government slammed for ‘ignoring’ Indigenous incarceration report

What kind of crimes are mostly they being incarcerated for?

...Maybe knowing that could lead is to what's going on.

danieldemol

Premium Member
What kind of crimes are mostly they being incarcerated for?

...Maybe knowing that could lead is to what's going on.
For fuller details I would refer you to chapter 3 of the report but in summary from the report;

"3.31 Using the ANZOC categories,1 the four most common offences for which
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people were charged and subsequently appeared
in court were: acts intended to cause injury (comprising 24% of all Aboriginal and
Torres Strait Islander defendants in 2016); public order offences (17%); offences against justice (14%); and theft and related offences (12%).

3.32 In contrast, the four most common offences for which non-Indigenous people were charged and appeared in court were: illicit drug offences (comprising 23% of all non-Indigenous defendants); acts intended to cause injury (20%); theft and related offences (13%); and offences against justice (12%)." 2
1 Australian Beauro of Statistics
2 https://www.alrc.gov.au/sites/default/files/pdfs/publications/final_report_133_amended1.pdf