• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Government ''manslaughter''of the homeless

TheBrokenSoul

In a democratic country we vote for government parties to govern and have a duty of care over our affairs but each year people die from homelessness , ''froze'' to death etc .

Who's to blame for not caring and letting these people die or suffer ?

danieldemol

Premium Member
In a democratic country we vote for government parties to govern and have a duty of care over our affairs but each year people die from homelessness , ''froze'' to death etc .

Mostly people who do whatever they can to dodge paying their fair share of taxes.

In my opinion.

TheBrokenSoul

Mostly people who do whatever they can to dodge paying their fair share of taxes.

In my opinion.
Yes that doesn't help but the direct responsibilty should be with governing parties and/or royal families . In the country I live in , Enlgand , the Royals indireclty claim they have no power in governing although I do not personally believe that .
A duty of care the government suppose to provide seems to be ignored in regards to homeless people , the willfull neglect by the government is just simply evil .

Heyo

Veteran Member
the direct responsibilty should be with governing parties and/or royal families
In a democracy the responsibility is ultimately with the voters. If they would care, they'd vote for politicians who care. The politicians are only responsible if they promised to care. (And then only if they are elected for the first time. If the get re-elected after not caring, it is again on the voters. They knew they have been lied to, but they didn't care.)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In a democracy the responsibility is ultimately with the voters. If they would care, they'd vote for politicians who care. The politicians are only responsible if they promised to care. (And then only if they are elected for the first time. If the get re-elected after not caring, it is again on the voters. They knew they have been lied to, but they didn't care.)

If there is a dictatorial banking system who enslaves politicians, politicians cannot do much.
Greed is the evil of this world.

pearl

Here every year when the weather is extremely cold police and other social agencies round up the homeless and get them to shelters, many refuse and want nothing to do with shelters and are homeless by choice, answering to no one. For those who have no choice society has let them down. I love the fact that every year the 'charities' ask for help and we pat ourselves on the back thinking we've done our part, and ignore them and vote against federal programs to assist in any meaningful way. Shame on us.

HonestJoe

There are loads of different avoidable causes of death (or significant suffering). There are loads of things governments (national and local, sometimes international) do to try to reduce those issues but they're rarely simple enough to have a single fix and typically require lots of different elements to work together (including the person being helped themselves).

There is also the significant aspect that to provide a perfect system to address any given issue such as homelessness would cost more than most voters would be willing to accept (even the ones demanding the government does something about homelessness).

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Mostly the self-centered, and especially right-wing voters who in this country didn't have a problem with tax cuts for the wealthy but not with help for the lower and middle-income families.

Nimos

The overall system is broken and has always been. As long as the system is not designed around human wellbeing, these things will always happen. We primarily do things if there is some sort of profit to be made. If you could make a lot of money housing homeless people there wouldn't be any :)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The truth is that homeless people are scary, and we are scared of them. That is why they are homeless. That doesn't mean nothing can be done.

In cities and towns what people want is not to be bothered, and this is reflected in city actions against street camping and lack of provision for homeless. Evidence shows, too, that if you provide for homeless then more start moving into your area, and you get blamed for it. People will say you are causing homelessness and will blame you.

Helping a homeless person is a long term thing and not free. Almost nobody is interested in doing so for a scrappy stranger. That's just asking for a lawsuit or theft of your property or a knife in your back. People want to love and be generous to their own, not to strangers.

F1fan

Veteran Member

Many homeless have mental health problems and can't manage their lives well enough to accept help. As noted there is little compassion by certain members of our society that have the means to pay more taxes so that programs could be funded to help the mentally ill, but they are not willing to do that.

TheBrokenSoul

We all are.
We all aren't in a position where we can help .

I've been thinking since I started this thread and I don't think religious leaders are really religious either because religion doesn't care about the homeless either .

These so called charities for the homeless are a wast eof time and donations too , their actions aren't direct enough .

I recon 100's if 1000's will die again this winter as a result of neglect by the government parties and leaders of countries .

TheBrokenSoul

Many homeless have mental health problems and can't manage their lives well enough to accept help. As noted there is little compassion by certain members of our society that have the means to pay more taxes so that programs could be funded to help the mentally ill, but they are not willing to do that.

I think we'd have mental health problems if we were homeless .

It is quite easy to help and home the homeless , even these homeless people whom are stubborn and don't want help .

I know for a fact that in the UK all the homeless could be accomodated for 1 million pound in a duration of time using an accumalator plan . It makes me feel sick when I see the Gov and councils spend more than that on silly statues etc .

I actually think the UK police may have the power to take over the UK government , arresting them all for neglect and manslaughter .

If they are willfully letting people die , that is manslaughter in my book . They house immigrants but let locals die !

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
I think we'd have mental health problems if we were homeless .

It is quite easy to help and home the homeless , even these homeless people whom are stubborn and don't want help .

I know for a fact that in the UK all the homeless could be accomodated for 1 million pound in a duration of time using an accumalator plan . It makes me feel sick when I see the Gov and councils spend more than that on silly statues etc .
The issue here is very broad and has too many elements to solve with just money. It's also a problem with the social values of the USA, which includes looking after #1. There are many compassionate citizens that do donate time and money, but as a whole the USA is very conservative and not very compassionate. This is ironic given how many conservatives think they are Christians.

I actually think the UK police may have the power to take over the UK government , arresting them all for neglect and manslaughter .
Brazil recently indicted its former leader for such crimes because he failed to put measures in place that would protect the public from Covid. In the USA politicians are protected from criminal indictment due to policies they put forth, otherwise trump would likely be indicted as well. England might have the same protections. So the police might have the power to arrest members of the government, but not the authority if there are no laws that can be adjudicated in court.