• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Govardhan parikrama

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Speaking of walking as means to convey one's devotion to his chosen deity (around holy hills, temple, etc), I am reminded of the parikrama or devotional practice of walking around Govardhan mountain that Krishna devotees perform.

It is extremely hard to do this parikrama, yet thousands are performing it every single day!

The entire Govardhan mountain is extremely huge/large. Devotees take a sack that is their height, lay it on the ground, lie down on it, stretch their arms above while lying down, and mark the spot their fingertips touch. Then they lay down the sack at this point for their next step and prostrate again and continue like this through out the entire stretch!

Yes, as you can imagine, one cannot accomplish this task in 1 day! To many, it is a year-long adventure. They just cover several miles like 5 or so in one day, then continue from the next week onward from the spot they left off the previous week. And they do it in the hot sun, throughout the day until the entire parikrama gets over!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Speaking of walking as means to convey one's devotion to his chosen deity (around holy hills, temple, etc), I am reminded of the parikrama or devotional practice of walking around Govardhan mountain that Krishna devotees perform.

It is extremely hard to do this parikrama, yet thousands are performing it every single day!

The entire Govardhan mountain is extremely huge/large. Devotees take a sack that is their height, lay it on the ground, lie down on it, stretch their arms above while lying down, and mark the spot their fingertips touch. Then they lay down the sack at this point for their next step and prostrate again and continue like this through out the entire stretch!

Yes, as you can imagine, one cannot accomplish this task in 1 day! To many, it is a year-long adventure. They just cover several miles like 5 or so in one day, then continue from the next week onward from the spot they left off the previous week. And they do it in the hot sun, throughout the day until the entire parikrama gets over!

Very similar distance to Arunachala. I googled it, and apparently some folks will sleep and beg overnight at their spot. Even at 6 feet per prostration, and 1008 prostrations per day (which is a ton, I've done 108 many times) it would take 12 days. So yes, a true act of devotion. But Hindus are known for that. How many wandering monks have made their way from the Himalayans to Kanyakumari?

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Very similar distance to Arunachala. I googled it, and apparently some folks will sleep and beg overnight at their spot. Even at 6 feet per prostration, and 1008 prostrations per day (which is a ton, I've done 108 many times) it would take 12 days. So yes, a true act of devotion. But Hindus are known for that. How many wandering monks have made their way from the Himalayans to Kanyakumari?

True that ji. But what makes this Govardhan parikrama unique is that it is not simply walking, but devotees prostrate and get up for every step (as measured by the sack length) for the entire distance. I am sure a newbie will have tremendous body pain in doing so. Yes, true, from Adi Sankara, to Ramanuja, sages have walked the length of entire India!

ajay0

Walking around the Arunachala mountain or the Govardhan mountain is a great austerity, provided it is done with the right state of mind or attitude.

One must discipline the mind to enjoy the strenuous walk with a positive attitude. This enables one to gain more energy and use the spiritual exercise to expand one's consciousness, and gain the most out of this spiritual exercise.

If it is done as a painful chore and with a negative attitude, it will only increase negativity and strengthen the ego or unconsciousness.

The body and mind should therefore be well-conditioned before attempting such exercises.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
True that ji. But what makes this Govardhan parikrama unique is that it is not simply walking, but devotees prostrate and get up for every step (as measured by the sack length) for the entire distance. I am sure a newbie will have tremendous body pain in doing so. Yes, true, from Adi Sankara, to Ramanuja, sages have walked the length of entire India!

A couple of my Sri Lankan friends do the prostration thing around the temple at festival time, following the ther. For women it is up and down more often, with less distance each time. Men have to go further up and down, but they also stretch further as well. A few people will do rolling pradakshina too. I'm sure that's been done at many of the hills. Rolling is common at Murugan temples.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
A couple of my Sri Lankan friends do the prostration thing around the temple at festival time, following the ther. For women it is up and down more often, with less distance each time. Men have to go further up and down, but they also stretch further as well. A few people will do rolling pradakshina too. I'm sure that's been done at many of the hills. Rolling is common at Murugan temples.

Yes, I have rolled twice at Tirupathi, it is quite hard indeed, although projects an illusion it is not since it can be done fast.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, I have rolled twice at Tirupathi, it is quite hard indeed, although projects an illusion it is not since it can be done fast.
How far approximately is it? I considered rolling at Tiruchendur, and I've rolled many times here. but it's not that far. If it's behind the ther you go slow, so it's easy. For me, at my age, it's the getting dizzy that becomes a problem.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
How far approximately is it? I considered rolling at Tiruchendur, and I've rolled many times here. but it's not that far. If it's behind the ther you go slow, so it's easy. For me, at my age, it's the getting dizzy that becomes a problem.

To someone seasoned at this rolling parikrama, it may not be such a great distance at Tirupathi. Just around the main shrine people roll. But still, like you said, I felt dizzy after rolling. Midway during the roll, I felt I could not continue... and then somehow finished. And this was long time ago, when I was in early 30's. I can imagine how hard it is to roll around the shrine in Tiruchendur. I believe the temple is on a hill.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
To someone seasoned at this rolling parikrama, it may not be such a great distance at Tirupathi. Just around the main shrine people roll. But still, like you said, I felt dizzy after rolling. Midway during the roll, I felt I could not continue... and then somehow finished. And this was long time ago, when I was in early 30's. I can imagine how hard it is to roll around the shrine in Tiruchendur. I believe the temple is on a hill.
Tiruchendur is the one on the seashore, but it's about 150 meters or so along the sides, and slightly sloped. I imagine it would take me a couple of hours.