• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Got Empathy?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
One of those shootings happened in a building I regularly visited. Fortunately, I wasn't around that day, but my wife freaked out when she heard about it on the news.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I wonder if one's empathy score relates to belief v atheism?
I doubt it. Ditching religion didn't make me any more-or-less empathetic. I just realized I had to do the work on my own instead of praying to a man up in the sky to let it be his will that it get done.
I found my place on the empathy v population graph somewhere in the 25 to 35 range.
How'd you find that? Myself, I'm kind of at a half way between being a professional in the humanities and a professional in the sciences, so there's that. Also female Aspies tend to be on average about as empathetic as the neurotypical male, so there's wherever that would be on the chart.
I'm pretty glad I am at least low enough on the score to not feel not a single shard of the pain the kids went through last week when mom didn't show up. If I was a neurotypical myself, I may not have slept that night.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If the test I found was the right/same one, I scored 8 out of 80.:eek: So, I guess my long detours to understanding are a lot longer than I realized. No wonder social work is being so excessively more stressful and difficult than I anticipated.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I took it again, at another site, and got 13. So, regardless, I suck at empathy, and I'm lower than average for even other ASD neuro atypicals, lol.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I wonder if one's empathy score relates to belief v atheism?
Thinking and feeling are two different things so I doubt the generality. But as the article noted, there is a Buddhist practice which can affect the results.

Liu

I took it again, at another site, and got 13. So, regardless, I suck at empathy, and I'm lower than average for even other ASD neuro atypicals, lol.
Dunno if I did the same test, but got 13 out of 80, too.
Pretty much what I expected, but some of the questions were of course highly dependent on my own self-image, or refering to situations I'm basically never in, so who knows whether it's accurate.

The test says that anything under 30 is typical for autists or similar, but I haven't been diagnosed with anything of that kind. I do visit a therapist, but because I'm transgender and a bit because of my social anxiety, so I haven't really brought that up yet.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
That's a really interesting article. Those people are heroes and simply amazing. They're truly an inspiration, but I know I couldn't do what they did. They had no hesitation, unlimited bravery and insane amount of empathy.

sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.u1.png

My EQ is around 48/80 according to a test I did... Which would be people in the humanities according to that article. Sounds about right. They're fascinating subjects to me.

Since I'm no super saiyan of EQ, I'm honestly unlikely to completely risk my life for complete strangers like these people. It's another thing if it's a loved one though.