1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Got a question on my mind about atheists and christians

Discussion in 'Religions Q&A' started by Frank Goad, Aug 16, 2019.

1. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium सच्चितानन्द
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,802
    Religion:
    Advaitist Hindu
    So you no longer identify as a Catholic? The entire time I've been here, I thought you did.

2. columbus

columbus Conservative Catholic from Hell

Ratings:
    +12,766
    Religion:
    None
    Yes.
    Just not a Christian theist.

It's complicated, although I can explain it. Given a lot of time.

Short explanation, Catholicism isn't just the theology. It's more the culture.
    Tom

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. osgart

osgart Nothing my eye, Something for sure

Ratings:
    +1,016
    Religion:
    No Religion. I Sense The Higher Power but it is only us who dream of it.
    I grew up a minority in a Christian family. I grinned and beared it. It sucks not having any family that you can speak your mind to. It sets you back aways.

The religion has influences even in being a non believer. You end up speaking the language that believer's use. You end up thinking the ways you are raised up in.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,460
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    For some this is easier said than done. An acquaintance of mine, an adult, was essentially disowned by his parents for dropping out of Mormonism in favor atheism.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification

Ratings:
    +14,337
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    In my experience, mostly you learn to gauge to which extent each of the family members feels confortable with the subject matter and watch your speech.

Very often people just accept that certain topics can't very well be discussed with certain family members.

Other times there are negotiations of some sort, in order to establish what can be said at which times.

And far too often there is pointless conflict.

6. SalixIncendium

Ratings:
    +7,802
    Religion:
    Advaitist Hindu
    I haven't been disowned but it's been made clear to me by my family that I will be burning for an eternity in Hell.

Ever since, I've been stockpiling aloe. I'm just trying to figure out a way to transport it to Hell with me when I die. Can you image the fortune I'll make down there?!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. robocop (actually)

robocop (actually) Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +485
    Religion:
    newly baptized into Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
    What do you do? Be careful... I almost got kicked out for that.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Riboflavin
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,556
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Neither.

9. SalixIncendium

Ratings:
    +7,802
    Religion:
    Advaitist Hindu
    Then why might such a thing happen?

10. KenS

KenS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,121
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    As a Christian, I would just love on him/her.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. lostwanderingsoul

lostwanderingsoul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +840
    Religion:
    seeking
    If a person has male sex organs he is a male no matter what he thinks.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,277
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    It's about respect. Co-existence can be peaceful as long as respect is demonstrated by both parties. Disagreements can be debated, but respect will not allow it to escalate into vitriol.

Agreeing to disagree allows for peaceful co-existence. That has been true in my family. We have never had hateful words over religion despite the fact that we are of differing opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Riboflavin
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,556
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    - while there's nothing about atheism that requires food to be eaten immediately, this is what people generally do unless there's a reason.

- there's nothing inconsiderate about eating food when it's served.

14. wandering peacefully

wandering peacefully Active Member

Ratings:
    +514
    Depends if they are jerks with a holier than thou attitude or they are intelligent understanding humans who know that what they believe isn't who they are. If they are respectful, relationships are no different. People in loving families can make room for differing ideas. I have some very interesting and thoughtful conversations with my Christian family members. We lover each other because of who we are not what we believe.

I could see how that would be a big problem for the more fervent and fundamentalist believers. Some of them even disown their own family members if they don't tow the religious line. So sad and a waste of life and relationships.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Road Less Traveled

Road Less Traveled Active Member

Ratings:
    +109
    I’d be a chameleon to keep the peace. Adaption to any situation is a good characteristic to learn in anything. I was fortunate to be raised by biological parents who pretty much let me have autonomy though, even though I was forced to go to church buildings and Sunday school every week up until about 16.

Some people don’t have this luxury. My partners best friend, her parents wouldn’t let her work when she turned 16. At 18, she rebelled against their mainstream religious beliefs, and also tried to date a guy ... and they up and threw her straight out of the home with nothing. She’s now 30 and her parents haven’t talked to her since the day they threw her out at 18. People can be that cold. They were very controlling. She was adopted but no difference in my perception. I suppose in a way if they gave her a decent life until 18 and set her free on her own that it worked out just fine. She’s doing well now and found her way.

#35 Road Less Traveled, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  16. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +15,263
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Who knows? Most Methodists seem to be pretty decent folks @Dan From Smithville is a stellar example. If there are some atheist Methodists I could be persuaded to join.

17. Dan From Smithville

Dan From Smithville Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,475
    Religion:
    Methodist
    I am unaware of any Methodist atheists. That might make for an interesting conversation though. Christian, denominational atheists. They don't believe, but they like church?

• Like Like x 2
  18. stvdv

stvdv Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,756
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    Most sane families "yes". Some denominations are quite fundamentalic though IME

Baptists here "pray the gay away", I doubt an Atheist gets away without a similar treatment, esp. if they are kids (better hammer it in early). At least they will get the "hell" motivational pep talk. But maybe Baptists in Holland are the exception to the rule.

Although I also was with Pentecostal church for a few month, the priest kicked out (as in never talk again) family members who disagreed. But apart from that they did some nice singing.

My experiences tell me: Many times parents use emotional blackmail, behave dismissive, belittle etc. when their kid (lifelong practice for some parents) thinks differently, esp. when it comes to (non) belief.

This can be quite problematic for a child, unless the kid is very strong.

19. stvdv

stvdv Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,756
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    Mother needs to be creative if Atheist kid can't wait till prayers are finished:
    a) Unconditional love the kid is a good one
    b) Serve food steaming very hot might work
    c) Pray the Atheist away (if God doesn't do this, I expect God to be fine with Atheist being Atheist; as I read in Bible that if One sees error One should correct and God sees all, so no need even to ask, and He can do anything, so changing into non Atheist should be relatively easy, considering all the other miracles)
    d) Or just pray before serving the food

20. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,065
    Religion:
    None

My parents are christian, not devout but raised in christian beliefs.

They in turn guided me into christianity (thats the way it works that i object to).

In my mid teens i had had enough of the hatred of difference and bigotry that i saw in my church, i left and eventually became atheist.

My parents were hurt but saw my view and accepted my decision to leave the church.

• Like Like x 2