• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Got a handwritten letter from a JW supposed neighbor

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Is this a new tactic? I got a handwritten letter from a woman I don't know who says she lives in my community, telling me to get on jw.org and make my life better. I look forward to my mail usually, but this is almost worse than campaign fliers and things of that nature. Has this happened to anyone on here?

idea

Question Everything
Is this a new tactic? I got a handwritten letter from a woman I don't know who says she lives in my community, telling me to get on jw.org and make my life better. I look forward to my mail usually, but this is almost worse than campaign fliers and things of that nature. Has this happened to anyone on here?

Is there a return address? Can you invite them to a website?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It has not happen to me that way, but if it did i would go to their website and have a look :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

No hand written letters which would have been preferable to my last experience of JWs
Just before we left the UK we had a knock on the door. 2 people, man and woman with the question 'do you want to look after your health.'
'Yes' was my reply.
They handed me a magazine, NHS* emblazoned on the top, in NHS white on blue background and a couple of article starters, one for heart problems, the other for stress. Both ended "continued inside"

I thanked them, they left. I opened the magazine. It was not a magazine but a cover, blank inside. Neatly placed inside was another magazine, copy of the watchtower.

*The NHS is the British National Health Service.

InChrist

Free4ever
I have gotten a couple of those. I believe that since Covid the JW’s send letters instead of going door to door.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

I've been getting them for a few years but what's new is phone calls, had 2 recently from JW's wanting to read me a bible verse.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

Yup, I've gotten a few, too. I was also the impression this is their new method since Covid came along.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Sorry, but it strikes me as an underwhelming problem.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
No hand written letters which would have been preferable to my last experience of JWs
Just before we left the UK we had a knock on the door. 2 people, man and woman with the question 'do you want to look after your health.'
'Yes' was my reply.
They handed me a magazine, NHS* emblazoned on the top, in NHS white on blue background and a couple of article starters, one for heart problems, the other for stress. Both ended "continued inside"

I thanked them, they left. I opened the magazine. It was not a magazine but a cover, blank inside. Neatly placed inside was another magazine, copy of the watchtower.

Wow, that seems kind of deceitful. I just generally didn't answer the door if I didn't know the people. We live in a gated community now so we don't get any solicitors of any kind. I guess that is why it was done through a letter.

Orbit

I'm a planet

It has happened to me 3 times. I think they get the names and addresses from the registered voter lists. I find it absolutely annoying.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Question. Are you sure it was a handwritten letter? Could it possibly have been one of those fonts that look like handwriting? Or could it have been a copy?

Just curious.

idea

Question Everything
'Yes' was my reply.

Perhaps the NHS should be alerted of what their magazines are being used for.

Do they think dishonesty will work?

A better technique:
Deep canvassing - Wikipedia

Of course, deep canvassing requires a 2-way conversation, not just 1-way preaching, and is apt to change the position of the canvasser as well as canvasee...

Letters and magazines are a way to avoid 2-way conversations, they get to talk, you don't.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Yep. I responded with a thank you and an invitation. I've to receive a response.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

They started doing this during the pandemic. I received an almost identical sounding letter.