• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gopuram question

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
For absolutely no reason other than curiosity's sake, what is inside a gopuram? And what is its purpose? I think they're beautiful and intriguing. Can it be climbed like a lighthouse, that is, are they hollow? It seems there are window-like openings that make it look like a watchtower. I'm sure there is significance, symbolism and a purpose to them.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Supposedly a psychic passageway from the mundane to the sacred, and the various portrayals are to catch the worldly forces as you're entering the temple, to leave that stuff out side. Yes they are hollow inside, and in India, workers use a series of planks or in the old days bamboo, to climb up to do repairs. The main vimana (And main shrines too) is also hollow, but only the priests can look up, as others aren't allowed inside the sanctums.

The temple I go to here is just now in the process of planning to build one here. They're rather costly to build traditionally.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought so, sort of like a chimney effect. I later thought maybe also to symbolize Mt. Meru. But your explanation makes perfect sense.