• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP tried to roll back the Endangered Species Act

Is rolling back these parts of the ESA a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 88.2%

• Total voters

leibowde84

Veteran Member
GOP-Led Attack Aims To Chip Away At Endangered Species Act

I know ... it's the huffington post. Not exactly unbiased, but this is a dangerous road that could potentially destroy the progress made by the ESA in lessening human impact on the environment. It is a complete surrender to business interests and a move towards ignoring the harm certain businesses can do to the environment.

"Among other things, the bills would require that federal agencies consider the economic effects before granting protection for a species, eliminate ESA protections for nonnative species and mandate that agencies supply affected states with all the data they plan to use in determining whether to list a species as endangered or threatened."

What are your thoughts?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
I wish that there was a way to bring the energy sector into the area without harming the habitats of animals.

What are they gonna do, cage every non-native animal? And what the heck is a non-native animal?

It's like, "Welp this eagle flew across the Mexican border, it's a non-native animal. Gonna have to deport it."

Love the pic with Ryan Zinke and the deer head above his head btw, shows people the mindset.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

I know ... it's the huffington post. Not exactly unbiased, but this is a dangerous road that could potentially destroy the progress made by the ESA in lessening human impact on the environment. It is a complete surrender to business interests and a move towards ignoring the harm certain businesses can do to the environment.

"Among other things, the bills would require that federal agencies consider the economic effects before granting protection for a species, eliminate ESA protections for nonnative species and mandate that agencies supply affected states with all the data they plan to use in determining whether to list a species as endangered or threatened."

What are your thoughts?

Finally it seems there's some common sense applied to these fiats.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

What are your thoughts?
I do not see this as a good idea at all. As David said, what good comes from this outside of the possibility of greater profits for the upper class? This trend in politics (both sides of the aisle) is grinding my gears. I encourage everyone here to vote in midterms coming up. Support your grass root candidates that support your ideals, not big business.

VioletVortex

Sorry, but you can't lessen the impact of humans on the environment through some government organization. If anything, such an organization has the potential to make the problems worse. In this case, the ESA did create a buffer between us and certain endangered species, but not a very effective one at that. Organizations like this also help to create an atmosphere of complacency with the substandard level of "assistance" they provide. I voted "no."

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Sorry, but you can't lessen the impact of humans on the environment through some government organization. If anything, such an organization has the potential to make the problems worse. In this case, the ESA did create a buffer between us and certain endangered species, but not a very effective one at that. Organizations like this also help to create an atmosphere of complacency with the substandard level of "assistance" they provide. I voted "no."
So, rolling back the protections of endangered species is a bad thing, in your opinion?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I voted "no" since I don't want my grandchildren to live in a cesspool of a world through destroying what we have. For anyone who voted "yes", let me suggest they move to Nigeria and see what happens when environmental laws are not enforced.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Does that we get to classify the politician as an endangered species, given they are an ultra-slim percentage of the population, and have open season on those who want to weaken or get rid of the ESA?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

What are your thoughts?
I voted no, with the caveat that we should be able to nuke the populations of non-native, invasive species, like the Asian carp and the zebra mussels that are wreaking absolute havoc on water systems in the Eastern US. And the ridiculous amount of snakes and invasive bugs that Florida has going on.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I wish that there was a way to bring the energy sector into the area without harming the habitats of animals.

What are they gonna do, cage every non-native animal? And what the heck is a non-native animal?

It's like, "Welp this eagle flew across the Mexican border, it's a non-native animal. Gonna have to deport it."

Love the pic with Ryan Zinke and the deer head above his head btw, shows people the mindset.
Invasive Species - National Wildlife Federation

IOW, taking a species from its native habitat, where it evolved to play an actually useful role in the food web, into a new territory where its sudden presence causes strong adverse effects on the local flora and/or fauna, upsetting the ecological balance and threatening to out-compete native species, or introduce diseases that were unknown in the area up to that point.

And technically, we could build nuclear power plants, which have been developed to be pretty self-containing, overall harmless facilities. Of course you'd have to clear a couple acres of habitat, but it works out a lot better than massive wind farms which can space jam birds by the dozens or solar farms which take up ungodly amounts of groundspace. And let's not even get into the ecological hell that is drilling and mining for fossil fuels.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
IOW, taking a species from its native habitat, where it evolved to play an actually useful role in the food web, into a new territory where its sudden presence causes strong adverse effects on the local flora and/or fauna, upsetting the ecological balance and threatening to out-compete native species, or introduce diseases that were unknown in the area up to that point.
Interesting, you wouldn't think that would be such a big deal. Simply moving animals from one area to another causes damage ecologically. I guess it's kind of like when the Europeans came over to North America.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Depends if the animal is really endangered or its slow bureaucracy that's being expedited to remove certain species that are now self sustaining.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yeah. Introducing a new species into a new environment is known for having devastating and dire consequences. Even with insects and fish, the consequences can be absolutely devastating to the ecosystem they are introduced to. "Just better to just never deliberately do it." sort of bad.