• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP Desire to Overturn Fillibuster

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
"Michael Steele, the former head of the Republican National Committee, slammed the GOP in its current form and suggested that it was prepared to push aside Senate rules and impose a national abortion ban if it retakes Congress in the November midterms."

We all said where this was going, and what would happen. Let's watch the rights of others slip away. How long until fighting back becomes literal?

The GOP would overturn the filibuster to impose a national abortion ban if it wins the midterms, ex-RNC chief suggests

F1fan

Veteran Member
Biden would surely veto any such bill.

If Steele is correct, and the history of the GOP suggests they will suspend the filibuster for their agenda items, like confirming judges which allowed them to place three far right religiously biased justices.

This would be a culture war between congress and the White House, and it will be added futility and absurdity for the two years before the 2024 elections.

How far will the GOP go to win it all? What should democrats do?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Michael Steele, the former head of the Republican National Committee, slammed the GOP in its current form and suggested that it was prepared to push aside Senate rules and impose a national abortion ban if it retakes Congress in the November midterms."

We all said where this was going, and what would happen. Let's watch the rights of others slip away. How long until fighting back becomes literal?

The GOP would overturn the filibuster to impose a national abortion ban if it wins the midterms, ex-RNC chief suggests

Announcing this is probably a blunder. How can this not motivate people supporting abortion rights, who are the majority, to vote against this party? This would likely get otherwise Republican-voting people who want the option of safe, legal abortion reason to vote Democratic instead. How many otherwise Democratic voting people will crossover because of this announcement? I'm guessing next to none.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Maybe if the Democrats stopped acting like a bunch of sissies and used the political tools at their disposal, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Announcing this is probably a blunder. How can this not motivate people supporting abortion rights, who are the majority, to vote against this party? This would likely get otherwise Republican-voting people who want the option of safe, legal abortion reason to vote Democratic instead. How many otherwise Democratic voting people will crossover because of this announcement? I'm guessing next to none.

Likely, many will never know of this announcement. I have friends on Facebook posting all sorts of stuff supporting access to abortion who (appear) to still be fans of Trump as if he never said he would appoint Justices to overturn Roe.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I never liked the filibuster, but truth be told it's a two way street in that regard if things reverse.

Personally I think RvW should have been left alone. Republicans tried to fix what wasn't broken.

Quetzal

Premium Member
What do you propose?
Ping @Jayhawker Soule since you asked as well.

The issue Democrats have now is that they cannot rely on their own vote in the senate. Manchin has given them a 'majority' on paper only. The senate might a well be 51-49 on several issues.

As I have reflected on this a bit more, I think my frustration in rooted in the fact that the Senate will be under Republican majority control again very soon. Land doesn't vote, except in the Senate. It is frustrating to see the party trying to act from a position of weakness in regards to legislation. We can't get much on the floor.

TLDR: I have no idea, but I am sick of voting for jerks who can't get anything done.

Last edited:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Ping @Jayhawker Soule since you asked as well.

The issue Democrats have now is that they cannot rely on their own vote in the senate. Manchin has given them a 'majority' on paper only. The senate might a well be 51-49 on several issues.

As I have reflected on this a bit more, I think my frustration in rooted in the fact that the Senate will be under Republican majority control again very soon. Land doesn't vote, except in the Senate. It is frustrating to see the party trying to act from a position of weakness in regards to legislation. We can't get much on the floor.

TLDR: I have no idea, but I am sick of voting for jerks who can't get anything done.

Shouldn't Dems abolish the filibuster? If the GOP is gonna do it, why shouldn't the other side?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Shouldn't Dems abolish the filibuster? If the GOP is gonna do it, why shouldn't the other side?
I agree as we obviously have three branches that serve as a check on each other.

Frankly, even though it's also an imperfect system, I prefer the parliamentary form, such as found in Canada and the UK.

Quetzal

Premium Member
I think Manchin has gone on record to say he would vote against it, without his vote the Democrats wouldn't have the majority required.