• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google Age Verification

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

My impression is that this is a scam, although I didn't see any Google staff come in to that thread to deny that they're doing it. If someone is scamming and impersonating Google, it seems that they would have a strong interest in preventing it or warning people about it.

So, I don't know. I've never been asked for a credit card by Google, nor have they asked me to send in my ID. On the other hand, I do have my Google account on my phone, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

exchemist

Veteran Member
This is on google support:

Update your account to meet age requirements - Google Account Help

If you do meet the minimum age requirements, you can verify your age with a government-issued ID that shows you meet the requirement. You may also have the option to verify your age with a credit card.

If you use a credit card, any temporary authorization will be fully refunded. If you use an ID, Google will delete the image after verifying your age.

Important: After you sign in to your Google Account you’ll get instructions on how to directly upload a valid ID or enter credit card information. Google will never ask you to provide this type of information in an email.
  • If you choose not to set up supervision or verify you’re old enough to manage your account within 14 days, your account will be disabled and your account information will be deleted after 30 days.
:flushed:
Hmm, then maybe it was legit after all. Pity you've deleted it. Now I'd really like to have seen the email sender address.

I have never come across this credit card to verify age thing before. I don't like the sound of it at all. Luckily I don't use any social media that might require this.

exchemist

Veteran Member
My impression is that this is a scam, although I didn't see any Google staff come in to that thread to deny that they're doing it. If someone is scamming and impersonating Google, it seems that they would have a strong interest in preventing it or warning people about it.

So, I don't know. I've never been asked for a credit card by Google, nor have they asked me to send in my ID. On the other hand, I do have my Google account on my phone, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
But what account is this? You don't need to be any special age for a gmail account, do you? You might need it for social media I suppose.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
But what account is this? You don't need to be any special age for a gmail account, do you? You might need it for social media I suppose.

It's a gmail account, although you have to have it in order to get any apps from the Google Play Store.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Ok. Been on google Help and Community pages. It's legit, unbelievably. (The maddest thing is my dob is correct on my google account). I can see this is going to generate a lot of ****.

I've just reset and saved my dob. If my gmail account is disabled in 14 days (as promised) I'll be less than impressed. Maybe it's revenge for me not using their search engine?

exchemist

Veteran Member
It's a gmail account, although you have to have it in order to get any apps from the Google Play Store.
I see, so presumably it will be the apps access that requires the age verification. But I should have thought that the Play Store would already have your credit card details, if you've ever bought anything from them. And if you haven't, why are they bothering you? Why make it a condition of having a Google account at all? Seems weird -and over-reach.

exchemist

Veteran Member
This is on google support:

Update your account to meet age requirements - Google Account Help

If you do meet the minimum age requirements, you can verify your age with a government-issued ID that shows you meet the requirement. You may also have the option to verify your age with a credit card.

If you use a credit card, any temporary authorization will be fully refunded. If you use an ID, Google will delete the image after verifying your age.

Important: After you sign in to your Google Account you’ll get instructions on how to directly upload a valid ID or enter credit card information. Google will never ask you to provide this type of information in an email.
  • If you choose not to set up supervision or verify you’re old enough to manage your account within 14 days, your account will be disabled and your account information will be deleted after 30 days.
:flushed:
So I suppose the thing to do is sign in to your google account, but NOT to do it from any link provided in the email - and then see if you are really being asked for this info. Because it could be a scam link to a fake google account intended to steal your ID and password.

Hmm. Christ, this stuff doesn't get any easier, does it?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I see, so presumably it will be the apps access that requires the age verification. But I should have thought that the Play Store would already have your credit card details, if you've ever bought anything from them. And if you haven't, why are they bothering you? Why make it a condition of having a Google account at all? Seems weird -and over-reach.

Nup...not necessarily.
Mine is linked to my phone bill, so I'm basically invoiced via my phone account.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
So I suppose the thing to do is sign in to your google account, but NOT to do it from any link provided in the email - and then see if you are really being asked for this info. Because it could be a scam link to a fake google account intended to steal your ID and password.

Exactly this.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Hadn't happened to me before.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

No. Spent half the day messing about cos of this. :mad:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I've only gotten free apps from the Play Store, and I usually opt out of adding any credit card info. When I first got it, it was tied in with my local ISP email account, and I've had that same account for almost 20 years.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I've just had an email from (allegedly) google saying because my age isn't verified my settings have been tweaked. It also offers me the option of logging into my google account (via a link on the email) to verify my age. To do this, two options are offered, one of which involves providing my credit card details - saying no charge will be made and any admin fee will be refunded.

It all sounds too obviously a scam. I've reported it as spam and deleted it. But it looked totally legit (especially since the link actually does take me to my google sign in page).

I'm not sure which would be the most annoying - getting a scamming email or google genuinely thinking anyone would provide banking details.

Thoughts? Anyone else had this?
It's a scam.

If it involves the online exchange of information or money it's a huge red flag.

You did the smart thing.

Also reporting it to the authorities helps.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
YouTube has age restricted some of its videos that never used to be, for me.
If I'm not signed in to my YouTube account I cannot see those, but all I ever did was to hit the "I am over eighteen" button when signing up. As far as so called age verification goes it was nonexistent.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If I'm not signed in to my YouTube account I cannot see those, but all I ever did was to hit the "I am over eighteen" button when signing up. As far as so called age verification goes it was nonexistent.
Yup, I'm signed in.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Some videos are blocked for me due to lacking age verification, so Google very clearly does require it for some people.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Some videos are blocked for me due to lacking age verification, so Google very clearly does require it for some people.
I know that. My point was that when I first entered my info I only checked that I was old enough. The did not ask me to go into specifics. I could have been a twelve year old with my own email account for all that the computer knew.