• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google Ad Tracking

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
If you go to this url.

adssettings.google.com

You can see all the tracking Google has you tagged in. And turn ad personalization off or on.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes did that ages ago, still doesn't stop ads but it prevents tracking preferences and stops personalised targeted ads.

Handy for everyone to know.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I have DuckDuckGo too, it has advantages and disadvantages, I don't use it very often because i find Google results in faster and gives better search results and almost as secure when set properly.
I just object to the hoovering activities. I seem to recall an ex-exec of google saying that google was primarily a data harvester that just happened to provide a search engine. :eek:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I just object to the hoovering activities. I seem to recall an ex-exec of google saying that google was primarily a data harvester that just happened to provide a search engine. :eek:

It can be turned off.

Every website you visit harvests your data. Even when using duckduckgo. Including date and time of entering the site, your IP address (from which your location can be discovered, each and every page you visit on the site and the time spent on each page.

If it's turned off (as it is automatically with duckduckgo, or manually with most other search engines then the data is not so intensely examined. However your page visits will still be analysed on an anonymous basis to aid advertisers in their choice of ads

Google analyses this data as do many of the other companies who rely on advertising for their income.

Do a Google ;-) for server logs.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
It can be turned off.

Every website you visit harvests your data. Even when using duckduckgo. Including date and time of entering the site, your IP address (from which your location can be discovered, each and every page you visit on the site and the time spent on each page.

If it's turned off (as it is automatically with duckduckgo, or manually with most other search engines then the data is not so intensely examined. However your page visits will still be analysed on an anonymous basis to aid advertisers in their choice of ads

Google analyses this data as do many of the other companies who rely on advertising for their income.

Do a Google ;-) for server logs.
The swines.