• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye, Obama!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Since Obama is going out of office after eight years, two main thoughts come to mind right now:

1) That it's sad and worrisome his successor is so much worse.

2) That it's even sadder and more worrisome that his inconsistent, unreliabe successors have surpassed even stuff like this:

7bSMdgk.jpg

Goodbye, Obama! The only reason I'm not 100% of the opinion that his leaving is a good thing is that his successor is even worse. Other than that, less inconsistency is definitely a good thing, as far as I can see.

Are you optimistic, pessimistic, or just neutral in light of Obama's leaving? I'm personally worried about the kind of damage his successor may well end up doing to many people, both domestically and abroad.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Are you optimistic, pessimistic, or just neutral in light of Obama's leaving? I'm personally worried about the kind of damage his successor may well end up doing to many people, both domestically and abroad.
You said it perfectly. My biggest dread is not that Trump was elected. It is the blind faith people continue to put into him no matter what happens or what he says. That, I believe, is dangerous.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
oh it's not goodbye...

Past Republican presidents generally retire, go home, let the new guy do their thing, yes

But Democrats love politics way too much, we'll still be seeing Barry hanging out in the lobby of the UN, and giving university campus talks years from now- like the Clintons.

I bet he's already started growing the beard

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
You said it perfectly. My biggest dread is not that Trump was elected. It is the blind faith people continue to put into him no matter what happens or what he says. That, I believe, is dangerous.

It seems to me that blind faith in most other people would still be harmful, but blind faith in Trump is like letting the Joker pilot a Boeing with a bunch of civilians in it.

tytlyf

Not Religious
What is the michelle obama quote thing about? What's that picture mean?

Any time a republican gets into the highest offices in the land, you can expect the worst. All this progress since the great recession and I have a feeling it's about to be undone.

I've stated many times, it doesn't matter who the republican is, until they change their core corporate policies....none of them get my vote. I'm in the middle class, which is why I vote democratic. The middle class is vanishing in America, this is the fault of republicans. We're turning into mexico, where capitalism is king and all the money is floated to the top.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
oh it's not goodbye...

Past Republican presidents generally retire, go home, let the new guy do their thing, yes

- Go into office

- Adopt policies that harm the economy and people both domestically and abroad

- Leave the country to deal with the aftermath and faulty policies for years

- Let new presidents do "their" thing and obstruct their policies if they happen to disagree even if the policies are beneficial to the people.

Solid plan. GOP/10.

But Democrats love politics way too much, we'll still be seeing Barry hanging out in the lobby of the UN, and giving university campus talks years from now- like the Clintons.

I bet he's already started growing the beard

Are former presidents able to influence new policies and decision-making even if they try to?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I did cringe a little when he said The USA is the greatest country in the world.

We have what we need to do so. After all, we remain the wealthiest, most powerful, and most respected nation on Earth.

My eyebrows went up when he said, "most respected". Is it?

But I think the speech was done so well, I will stick with the A -.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
What is the michelle obama quote thing about? What's that picture mean?

It's meant to underline the falsehood and exaggerated, hyperbolic nature of both Obama's and Michelle Obama's statements.

Any time a republican gets into the highest offices in the land, you can expect the worst. All this progress since the great recession and I have a feeling it's about to be undone.

I've stated many times, it doesn't matter who the republican is, until they change their core corporate policies....none of them get my vote. I'm in the middle class, which is why I vote democratic. The middle class is vanishing in America, this is the fault of republicans. We're turning into mexico, where capitalism is king and all the money is floated to the top.

Do you think Trump will probably end up being better or worse than previous Republican presidents?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I did cringe a little when he said The USA is the greatest country in the world.

My eyebrows went up when he said, "most respected". Is it?

But I think the speech was done so well, I will stick with the A -.

Wait... he said that again in his last speech?

Can't let go of that lie until his last official breath, can he?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Goodbye, Obama! The only reason I'm not 100% of the opinion that his leaving is a good thing is that his successor is even worse. Other than that, less inconsistency is definitely a good thing, as far as I can see.

Trump could also be better than anyone has expected. (Far more likely...) You don't have to agree with everything a President-elect is planning for him to help you. I think he will be much better for the middle east because he doesn't give one single damn about nation building. Obama was constantly engaged in toppling democratically elected governments, and those efforts have completely destabilized the entire region. Anyone that wants more of that might be nuts. :D Obama was nothing more than a pawn of KSA and other countries that want to cause trouble in the region.

What will probably end with Trump:

1) Random drone strikes in Arab countries
2) Nation-building (more like nation destruction..)
3) Insurgency/Coup
4) Backing of Saudi Arabia
5) etc...

If we're lucky, Obama will be shunned and erased. Here's to hoping. :D

tytlyf

Not Religious
It's meant to underline the falsehood and exaggerated, hyperbolic nature of both Obama's and Michelle Obama's statements.
I still don't get it. You think what Obama and Michelle said was wrong or something?
Do you think Trump will probably end up being better or worse than previous Republican presidents?
That's a good question. You're making me use my huuge brain, but it's super powerful, not to brag or anything.

From what I've seen as far as the people he is appointing, I think things may be worse economically. He's trying to appoint people with no credibility or knowledge of certain positions. Very weird choices. But it's not really about the president, it's about the republicans in congress. Since they now control all levels, prepare for very risky times. These are people lobbied by the fossil fuel industry, healthcare, big pharma, wall street, etc. De-regulation, removing taxes, etc will not lead to a good ending.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Trump could also be better than anyone has expected. (Far more likely...) You don't have to agree with everything a President-elect is planning for him to help you. I think he will be much better for the middle east because he doesn't give one single damn about nation building. Obama was constantly engaged in toppling democratically elected governments, and those efforts have completely destabilized the entire region. Anyone that wants more of that might be nuts. :D Obama was nothing more than a pawn of KSA and other countries that want to cause trouble in the region.

What will probably end with Trump:

1) Random drone strikes in Arab countries
2) Nation-building (more like nation destruction..)
3) Insurgency/Coup
4) Backing of Saudi Arabia
5) etc...

If we're lucky, Obama will be shunned and erased. Here's to hoping. :D

Trump's hatred and bigotry toward people who disagree with him would make me rather unsurprised to see him adopt hostile policies toward foreigners. He's not the kind of person I'd expect to reliably stick to a particular course of action as expected; he's too whimsical, volatile, and excitable to do so.

And regardless of what he does abroad, there's still the fact that his domestic decisions are already looking extremely regressive. He's the System Restore to the White House's hard drive, if I had to describe him...

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
To be fair, almost all US presidents have used this dialogue in one form or another. To hold him accountable is fine, but to single him out is a bit silly.

Yep, which is why I'm not doing that. I actually think he's far better than some other U.S. presidents, starting with his direct predecessor. :p

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Trump's hatred and bigotry toward people who disagree with him would make me rather unsurprised to see him adopt hostile policies toward foreigners. He's not the kind of person I'd expect to reliably stick to a particular course of action as expected; he's too whimsical, volatile, and excitable to do so.

And regardless of what he does abroad, there's still the fact that his domestic decisions are already looking extremely regressive. He's the System Restore to the White House's hard drive, if I had to describe him...

His "hatred or bigotry" haven't "translated" to his actions. Sometimes when your computer is completely corrupted the reset is just what you need. The challenge of course will be not to delete anything critical on the way. Trump is really just about a leaner/meaner government, and also one more focused on our own problems rather than saving the world. That has a potential to make things better far outside of the borders of the USA, if it is done well.

Don't mistake his harshness for volatility, he just doesn't take anyone's crap. If someone prints lies he calls them out, and I think he has the right to. There are no hostile policies toward foreigners that I am aware of, but please feel free to explain. :D It's not hostile to vet people or secure your borders -- things we should have already been doing.