• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Good without God? More Americans say amen to that"

Skwim

Veteran Member
"For the first time, a majority of Americans — 56 percent — say it is possible to be a good person without a religious belief.

So says new Pew Research Center data drawn from two polls conducted among about 5,000 American adults in June and July.

“God is not a prerequisite for good values and morality,” Greg Smith, Pew’s associate director of research, said in a post about the findings. ” … [T]he public’s increased rejection of the idea that belief in God is necessary for morality is due, in large part, to the spike in the share of Americans who are religious ‘nones.'”

Nones now account for about one-quarter — 23 percent — of American adults, up from 16 percent in 2007. But their growth is not the whole story behind the numbers.

In the current poll, Protestants and Catholics were also polled, and 45 percent of them agree that God is not necessary for personal morality, up from 42 percent in 2011.

Even white evangelicals, who traditionally believe a relationship with God is crucial to morality, have budged. In 2011, one quarter of them (26 percent) said it was possible to be good without God, while now almost a third (32 percent) say so.

“To be sure, most white evangelicals still say belief in God is necessary for morality,” Smith writes. “But the share who say belief in God is a necessary underpinning of being moral has declined from 72 percent to 65 percent in just six years.”
source

So, what do you think, is a belief in god unnecessary to be good?

A Vestigial Mote

Seems to be necessary for some people. At least by their own accounts, they'd murder, rape, etc if they did not believe in an avenging god. I wouldn't call such people "moral" though. Just calculating.
I've always found it hard to grasp how theists, making claims about "the godless" being one step (or less) away from committing those types of horrific acts, just can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that they are implying the same about themselves minus God. That they are merely closet rapists and murderers, but because God holds them back their hands are stayed. It's ludicrous.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
At least by their own accounts, they'd murder, rape, steal, etc if they did not believe in an avenging god.
I don't put any more credence in that than I do the anti-theists who claim that if they met God after death they'd spit in His eye and call Him out for OT atrocities.
Yeah, right:rolleyes:
Tom

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
totally unnecessary. I mean for a theist why does it take the existence of God to be moral? that's hollow!

why can't a person be moral of their own accord, as it delights one?

if I were God I'd certainly tell every being to find the truth within their own lives, and hold themselves up to every good standard, and see what you come up with. and then I'd dethrone myself of the miserable position after letting them live or die according to their own evil devices unto death, or according to their own good intentions unto life.

Iow they decide their own fate or destiny. I would only ask one thing of each person, choose evil and die, choose life and live forever, do whatsoever you wish, I won't get in the way.

zahra67

totally unnecessary. I mean for a theist why does it take the existence of God to be moral? that's hollow!

why can't a person be moral of their own accord, as it delights one?

if I were God I'd certainly tell every being to find the truth within their own lives, and hold themselves up to every good standard, and see what you come up with. and then I'd dethrone myself of the miserable position after letting them live or die according to their own evil devices unto death, or according to their own good intentions unto life.

Iow they decide their own fate or destiny. I would only ask one thing of each person, choose evil and die, choose life and live forever, do whatsoever you wish, I won't get in the way.
hello.
God gives people reward for there good deeds and eternal bliss of paradise.
the people who are not unlimited cant decide and invent the true way of life for themselves.
did you see that scientists say something today and encourage to do it, tomorrow refuse it and say we made mistake.
our idea is change and do another thing which is completely different from there previous states!
God who is infinitely merciful, created mankind and universe and who is only knower of best way of life for salvation of mankind and there prosperity.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
hello.
God gives people reward for there good deeds and eternal bliss of paradise.
the people who are not unlimited cant decide and invent the true way of life for themselves.
did you see that scientists say something today and encourage to do it, tomorrow refuse it and say we made mistake.
our idea is change and do another thing which is completely different from there previous states!
God who is infinitely merciful, created mankind and universe and who is only knower of best way of life for salvation of mankind and there prosperity.
that's all fine, but I do not detect the presence of God. how would you know of God?

what in reality tells you such exists?

and then who makes the judgments in a believers life?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
"For the first time, a majority of Americans — 56 percent — say it is possible to be a good person without a religious belief.

So says new Pew Research Center data drawn from two polls conducted among about 5,000 American adults in June and July.

“God is not a prerequisite for good values and morality,” Greg Smith, Pew’s associate director of research, said in a post about the findings. ” … [T]he public’s increased rejection of the idea that belief in God is necessary for morality is due, in large part, to the spike in the share of Americans who are religious ‘nones.'”

Nones now account for about one-quarter — 23 percent — of American adults, up from 16 percent in 2007. But their growth is not the whole story behind the numbers.

In the current poll, Protestants and Catholics were also polled, and 45 percent of them agree that God is not necessary for personal morality, up from 42 percent in 2011.

Even white evangelicals, who traditionally believe a relationship with God is crucial to morality, have budged. In 2011, one quarter of them (26 percent) said it was possible to be good without God, while now almost a third (32 percent) say so.

“To be sure, most white evangelicals still say belief in God is necessary for morality,” Smith writes. “But the share who say belief in God is a necessary underpinning of being moral has declined from 72 percent to 65 percent in just six years.”
source

After everything I've seen, experienced, and heard regarding God throughout various media involving radio, television, and the internet, the lives of the parishioners and clergy within churches I have actually went to over the years, it's safe to say that God has no influence or control whatsoever when it comes to morals and ethics as compared to anyone else.

The reality is people are just as ethical and moral with or without God. No better or worse than anyone else.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't put any more credence in that than I do the anti-theists who claim that if they met God after death they'd spit in His eye and call Him out for OT atrocities.
Yeah, right:rolleyes:
Tom
Some of them I really do think they would go on a spree of murder and rape if they didn't believe in their god wagging his finger at them. And for those that wouldn't, it still sounds like projection.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

source

What i find objectionable is that theists tell me I'm not a good person because i don't believe in their god.

Yes of course you can be a good person without belief in god. No god is required for humanity, morality, generosity and honesty.

But god is required to dis others for not believing in your god.

Lauralight

"Goodness" is in our DNA. Scientists won't tell you that though. We have a built in moral radar, so we can be good without God. That same gene is what leads us back to God. We've also been programmed with a little evil too. Long story. But, we are on Earth to learn how to live according to the Laws of Creation. Evil isn't welcome in heaven, so we must overcome it here. Otherwise, well, into the great crevasse you go. When presented with actual facts, I knew God was real. I see it everywhere. And that happened after I left religion.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So says new Pew Research Center data drawn from two polls conducted among about 5,000 American adults in June and July.​

Good grief, of course a person can be good ( behavior ) because unless damaged we have a built-in conscience.
Belief in God is necessary if we want to live forever either in heaven for some, or live forever on Earth.
Forever on Earth as Jesus promised that humble meek people would inherit the Earth as found at Matthew 5:5 in connection to the words at Psalms 37:9-11, 29 that there will be righteous people alive on Earth forever.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
"Goodness" is in our DNA. Scientists won't tell you that though. We have a built in moral radar, so we can be good without God. That same gene is what leads us back to God. We've also been programmed with a little evil too. Long story. But, we are on Earth to learn how to live according to the Laws of Creation. Evil isn't welcome in heaven, so we must overcome it here. Otherwise, well, into the great crevasse you go. When presented with actual facts, I knew God was real. I see it everywhere. And that happened after I left religion.

Hoping you don't teach genetics

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

.... and I find evil will also Not be welcome on Earth, because as Jesus promised it is the humble or the meek people who will inherit the Earth. The executional words from Jesus' mouth will rid the Earth of the wicked as per Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-16. - Proverbs 2:21-22 Psalms 92:7. Everyone who lived before Jesus (John 3:13) can have a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection back to life on Earth during Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth. That includes people like King David as mentioned at Acts of the Apostles 2:34.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
..........................and then who makes the judgments in a believers life?

I find for a Christian it should be obvious that the one who makes the judgements in a believers life is: Jesus.
Just as Jesus referenced to Scriptures and used logical reasoning on the Scriptures so should Christians.
Jesus, being head of the Christian congregation, as per Ephesians 5:23, and what Jesus taught at John 13:34-35 that we should have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
In other words, to Now love neighbor more than self which is superior to the Golden Rule.

Lauralight

I don't teach genetics.... for money, or for a University, or for the Government. I teach to seekers of truth because they will look everywhere to see if I'm right or wrong. (I too am human and still learning) I don't teach to those who don't want to learn. So in your case, it doesn't appear to me that I teach genetics.

Father

Devourer of Truth
Morality is subjective. it existed before there God was even thought up or the first story of their book written down.
and it will exist when the Abrahamic faith is nothing more than that of the greek or roman pagan faith's
something that children in future history class will laugh about on how stupid it is and how their followers could ever believe that.
only the morality then will be much different than ours today and they will also probably look back and see us as barbaric