• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good vs. Evil, Ignorance vs. Knowledge

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
With so many divisions of people, who is right, and who is wrong?

What makes good, good and evil, evil?

Can a good person be capable of evil?

Shall we not prove ourselves to ourselves to see where we stand?

What is the standard by which all should be measured?

Mercy, or Justice? where do you draw the line?

Pride or Humility?

Righteous, or Repentant?

Self and other responsible, or God dependant?

What or whom should be the authority, if anything?

Relative to what is morality, or is it absolute?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Our minds have a distinct evolutionary trait, basically programmed for duality.

We basically think in ways by which nature itself holds no such distinctions.

osgart

Our minds have a distinct evolutionary trait, basically programmed for duality.

We basically think in ways by which nature itself holds no such distinctions.
you are right it doesn'T!

Nonetheless our distinctions create reality, and they bear accuracy.

are these distinctions too harsh, too misrepresentative of reality?

I don't think so.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
"Good is what you like and evil is what you don't like."

Very basic definitions but a decent starting point for the topic. There are very few things considered absolutely evil because evil is a very subjective concept. Same with goodness or righteousness. What one person will find repulsive or desirable might be the opposite for another.

In my opinion, most if not all humans have done something "bad" at least a few times in their life, aware of it or not. Unless your conscious of everything, doing something not good (although probably not inherently evil) is nearly inevitable.

I may write more on this later but right now I'm a little pressed for time. I will add that substance might help (reflecting Mister Silver).

osgart

"Good is what you like and evil is what you don't like."

Very basic definitions but a decent starting point for the topic. There are very few things considered absolutely evil because evil is a very subjective concept. Same with goodness or righteousness. What one person will find repulsive or desirable might be the opposite for another.

In my opinion, most if not all humans have done something "bad" at least a few times in their life, aware of it or not. Unless your conscious of everything, doing something not good (although probably not inherently evil) is nearly inevitable.

I may write more on this later but right now I'm a little pressed for time. I will add that substance might help (reflecting Mister Silver).

I know a rape victim, she says that evil is not subjective, and I agree. it's an absolutely real thing.

to call it subjective is denial, and a watered down response.

I could never justify that being true, when it is so obviously not.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
you are right it doesn'T!

Nonetheless our distinctions create reality, and they bear accuracy.

are these distinctions too harsh, too misrepresentative of reality?

I don't think so.
There are a lot of interesting abstracts on the subject perchance you got the time and patience to read it as they're rather long. It does expand on this subject quite a bit and a very interesting read.

Bodies and Minds: Dualism in Evolutionary Theory

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

This is an interesting question for further discussion. Likely no one is right in terms of absolutes. We can go from there and discuss concepts of 'belief or faith,' and knowledge.

Neither.

Last edited:

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
I know a rape victim, she says that evil is not subjective, and I agree. it's an absolutely real thing.

to call it subjective is denial, and a watered down response.

I could never justify that being true, when it is so obviously not.

Subjective doesn't make anything less real. Rape is one of those few things that are absolutely evil; it goes against the will of another and harms them. Which is why I cringe when I hear about people who "want" to be raped. Only the mentally damaged would think anything about the entire situation was okay, and no one in the right mind "wants" something completely against what they stand for.

"Evil" covers a broad spectrum so are you specifically speaking of the extreme evils such as rape and human sacrifice and not just "who's the bad guy in a war"?

Grandliseur

Shall we not prove ourselves to ourselves to see where we stand?

Pride or Humility?

Righteous, or Repentant?

Self and other responsible, or God dependant?

Without God it is the strong take what they want, and they already have. When we see society crumbling around us as it is, it is clear that when nobody shows any care for the ones at the bottom, the bottom becomes rock hard and will not mind using the means they have to fight with that, namely, violence.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I think good maximizes benefit for the most amount of beings. Evil does its damnedest (so to speak) to suck all the happiness in the world.

Psych experiments showed just that, with very little pushing, actually.

Maslow's Hierarchy?

Idiots deserve mercy. Villains deserve justice.

Morality. Anyone willing to do something immoral just because "God says so" is being immoral, no matter Whose butt they're kissing.

Absolutely relative :p

I agree there are standards that should be considered objective. However, the rapist's culture provided the rapist with the justification for doing said rape. Culture tells us what is to be considered good or evil. That we can disagree with cultural whims shows just how arbitrary it really is. HOWEVER, I believe "judge the tree by its fruit" is the important part: it's not enough to LABEL, but to VERIFY.

Without God it is the strong take what they want, and they already have.
With God it's the same thing, they just say God said it was okay for them to do it.

osgart

Subjective doesn't make anything less real. Rape is one of those few things that are absolutely evil; it goes against the will of another and harms them. Which is why I cringe when I hear about people who "want" to be raped. Only the mentally damaged would think anything about the entire situation was okay, and no one in the right mind "wants" something completely against what they stand for.

"Evil" covers a broad spectrum so are you specifically speaking of the extreme evils such as rape and human sacrifice and not just "who's the bad guy in a war"?
anything with intent that is not justifiable by any means.

perhaps you have a different definition of evil.

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
A Genocide can be "good" for the person profiting from it. Need i say more?

Good and evil are just human viewpoints, and are among the most incredibly subjective things imaginable. I like cheese, but i know a bunch of people who hate it. So obviously, our viewpoints of cheese being either good or evil would be a viewpoint.

Wait that didn't come out right.

Seriously though: I don't believe in good or evil.

anything with intent that is not justifiable by any means.

Here's the problem: Almost anything can be justifiable by anything. Some people consider murder ok when it's done according to law.

You won't ever find non-justifiable intent. Trust me.

Imagine it like this: There's an exception to every rule.