• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good reasons for denouncing some beliefs

Jim

Nets of Wonder
(efited for clarification)
Sometimes people seem to think that the only possible reason anyone could have for denouncing some beliefs is because they disagree with them. I think that there can be good reasons sometimes for denouncing some beliefs. I’m posting some examples of that.
(end edit)

One good reason I see for denouncing some beliefs is because sometimes people use them as reasons for some of the worst kinds of cruelty, violence and oppression that ever happen in the world. Another good reason I see for denouncing some beliefs is because sometimes people use them to validate their stereotypes and prejudices about some groups and categories of people, and discrimination against them.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Another good reason I see for denouncing some beliefs is because sometimes people use them as reasons for opposing good things that other people are trying to do. Another good reason that I see is because sometimes people use their beliefs as reasons for deluding themselves and trying to impose their prejudices and delusions on others.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Another good reason for denouncing beliefs is that some stand in judgment of others and believe they understand the belief systems of others and have the right to denounce them.

#irony

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Is any of this particularly debatable?
Apparently so. There is a discussion going on right now in these forums, with some posts insinuating that there can never be any good reason for denouncing any beliefs the only possible reason anyone could have for denouncing any beliefs is because they disagree with them

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
One example of the beliefs that I’m thinking of, when I say that there can be good reasons for denouncing some beliefs, is belief in a God who created us and who gives us some laws and prescriptions for living, for all people to follow.

(edited to add the following)
Another example is some kinds of race supremacy beliefs. Another is believing that homosexuality is an illness. Another is believing that God hates gays (see note 1). Another is believing that all religions are one. Another is believing that atheists can’t be moral (see note 2). Another is believing that people who change their religion should be killed. People might have good reasons for denouncing those beliefs, and not only because they disagree with them.

Notes:
1. I’m not trying to be an LGBTQ* ally. My views are not safe for LGBTQ* people.
2. I’m not trying to be an ally for atheists.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Another good reason for denouncing some beliefs is thinking that believing them can be harmful, and to warn people against them.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Apparently so. There is a discussion going on right now in these forums, with some posts insinuating that there can never be any good reason for denouncing any beliefs the only possible reason anyone could have for denouncing any beliefs is because they disagree with them
So why don't you join that thread and make your point there, instead of starting yet another of your vaguely hostile threads that seem to criticise without saying who or what you have in mind?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I think one should draw a clear line between criticising a faith/belief and criticising the proselytizing for said belief. If we look at some recurring discussions with members of proselytizing religions, it becomes apparent that the act of aggressively promoting one’s religion creates much more opposition than harmony. Therefore, one should probably realize that a strategy like this is simply ineffective. Once one has understood about the aggressive nature of proselytizing, one may also understand that “hiding” in a non-debate forum in order to avoid negative responses to one’s potentially aggressive proselytizing activity is not heroic.

I think if we all tried to genuinely learn what other religions are all about instead of molding them into our own wish-fulfilling pattern, we might learn to appreciate the differences instead of possibly being frightened of them, and IMHO, this would be the basis of interfaith that deserves this name.

Last edited:

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
One example of the beliefs that I’m thinking of, when I say that there can be good reasons for denouncing some beliefs, is belief in a God who created us and who gives us some laws and prescriptions for living, for all people to follow.

You seem to be assuming that all people who hold these beliefs are necessarily going to be using those beliefs to motivate them to think or do things that are bad (or that you believe to be bad).

Jim

Nets of Wonder
You seem to be assuming that all people who hold these beliefs are necessarily going to be using those beliefs to motivate them to think or do things that are bad (or that you believe to be bad).
No, I’m not assuming that. Personally I think that the beliefs that people use as reasons for harmful behavior, or to validate their prejudices and delusions, are not the real reasons for them. I don’t think that denouncing beliefs is a good way to try to stop harmful behavior, to free people from their prejudices and delusions, or to reduce and counteract the damage from the harmful behavior. I don’t think that denouncing beliefs is useful for any good purpose. I’m just saying that sometimes people might have good reasons for wanting to denounce some beliefs, and not only because they disagree with them.

Please see this post.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Denunciation should be limited to beliefs with wide agreement
to be heinous. This should be independent of partisan politics,
eg, everyone (almost) considers child molesting to be evil.
(Not for one's presidential vote, religion, or cured meat loathing.)

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Or you could just have people learn lessons the hard way.
Yes. I see other possibilities too, besides denouncing the beliefs. I’m not agreeing with denouncing beliefs. I’m just saying that people might have good reasons for wanting to do that sometimes, and not only because they disagree with them.

Milton Platt

(efited for clarification)
Sometimes people seem to think that the only possible reason anyone could have for denouncing some beliefs is because they disagree with them. I think that there can be good reasons sometimes for denouncing some beliefs. I’m posting some examples of that.
(end edit)

One good reason I see for denouncing some beliefs is because sometimes people use them as reasons for some of the worst kinds of cruelty, violence and oppression that ever happen in the world. Another good reason I see for denouncing some beliefs is because sometimes people use them to validate their stereotypes and prejudices about some groups and categories of people, and discrimination against them.

The best reason is that the evidence presented is insufficient to support the claim.

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
No, I’m not assuming that. Personally I think that the beliefs that people use as reasons for harmful behavior, or to validate their prejudices and delusions, are not the real reasons for them. I don’t think that denouncing beliefs is a good way to try to stop harmful behavior, to free people from their prejudices and delusions, or to reduce and counteract the damage from the harmful behavior. I don’t think that denouncing beliefs is useful for any good purpose. I’m just saying that sometimes people might have good reasons for wanting to denounce some beliefs, and not only because they disagree with them.

Please see this post.

Okay, those are some more narrowly defined beliefs that one might have reasons for wanting to denounce, though I still struggle with the fundamental difference between having good reasons to denounce said beliefs and disagreeing with said beliefs. But if we take the earlier belief you cited:

What good reasons might one have for wishing to denounce this belief, beyond disagreeing with it?

Jim

Nets of Wonder

What good reasons might one have for wishing to denounce this belief, beyond disagreeing with it?
I haven’t thought of any other reasons besides the ones that I’ve already listed.

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
I haven’t thought of any other reasons besides the ones that I’ve already listed.

But if not all believers in 'a God who created us and who gives us some laws and prescriptions for living, for all people to follow' hold those other beliefs, why should one denounce that belief in 'a God who created us and who gives us some laws and prescriptions for living, for all people to follow'?