• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Reason

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
I've always thought the free wine and bread handed out during the Lord's Supper was a pretty sweet deal. Other than that, I got nothing.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
For someone like me, to become a better person. To cultivate discipline. To learn how to love unconditionally all people.

Ace7X

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.

Last edited:

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
I wonder if we get get all the feel-good, moral, purposeful, touchy-feely stuff that religion provides without all the mythology, superstition and hocus pocus.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I wonder if we get get all the feel-good, moral, purposeful, touchy-feely stuff that religion provides without all the mythology, superstition and hocus pocus.

Buddhism and Daoism did a good job at that. :yes:

ejay286

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.

A god who isn't astronomically insecure would commend you for being genuine, regardless of your stance on his existence. 8 year olds have the capacity to extend benefits to others without recognition, sadly, some of the gods people worship don't have that same quality.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
You should go to China sometime. I think you'll be surprised what Buddhism and Daoism look like.

I prefer not to judge a religion by its followers, but by its teachings. Buddhism doesn't need mythologies, and neither does Daoism. Does that mean that they don't have any? No, of course they do.

nonbeliever_92

Pascal's Wager, yuck. What says you're living with the right diety? If you aren't you're screwed anyway.

nonbeliever_92

I prefer not to judge a religion by its followers, but by its teachings. Buddhism doesn't need mythologies, and neither does Daoism. Does that mean that they don't have any? No, of course they do.

Then the point is moot. it was essentially asked if there was a religion without mythologies that still has all the touchy feely benefits. if buddhism has mythologies, than it doesn't qualify.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Then the point is moot. it was essentially asked if there was a religion without mythologies that still has all the touchy feely benefits. if buddhism has mythologies, than it doesn't qualify.

Why is that? Most cultures (if not all) have mythologies, even if there's no religion to go with them.

nonbeliever_92

Why is that? Most cultures (if not all) have mythologies, even if there's no religion to go with them.

yes, but the opposite was asked. religions without mythology, you said Buddhism, but Buddihism has mythologies, so it doesn't fall into that category.

nonbeliever_92

A god who isn't astronomically insecure would commend you for being genuine, regardless of your stance on his existence. 8 year olds have the capacity to extend benefits to others without recognition, sadly, some of the gods people worship don't have that same quality.

Yeah, but God won't be eight for another five months.