• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Question

Skwim

Veteran Member
Good question.png

So, Why?

Last edited:

Remté

All "normal" people have an automated understanding of sin - or "wrong" if you like. So the basis of the OP is wrong. But you all know that of course.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
All "normal" people have an automated understanding of sin - or "wrong" if you like. So the basis of the OP is wrong. But you all know that of course.

This has been an actual discussion point in Christian theology at times throughout its history, and the Catholic Church assessed it's own position on this, releasing a document changing its position on this around a decade ago, working from memory.

Painting that as obvious in the way you are is unhelpful.

Are you disagreeing with the OP from a theological position, or do you doubt the veracity of the Eskimo story?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Quite the interesting religious paradox isn't it? Earth's indigenous cultures apparently have this innocent ignorance when it comes to the evangelization from members of the Abrahamic traditions. They see these cultures ignorant of the "true faith" because they've never picked up a Bible or a Qur'an so to save them from their ignorant innocence they tell them thereby making them accountable when they didn't have to be before.

Remté

This has been an actual discussion point in Christian theology at times throughout its history, and the Catholic Church assessed it's own position on this, releasing a document changing its position on this around a decade ago, working from memory.

Painting that as obvious in the way you are is unhelpful.

Are you disagreeing with the OP from a theological position, or do you doubt the veracity of the Eskimo story?
Should there be a theological position to something so insubstantial? I doubt it's relevance. If one wants to dig holes to ideologies there are more intelligent ways of doing it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Should there be a theological position to something so insubstantial? I doubt it's relevance. If one wants to dig holes to ideologies there are more intelligent ways of doing it.

You think Catholic Church doctrinal decisions are insubstantial and unintelligent from a theosophical point of view?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

It seems to me that it's pretty much universal doctrine of christianity that one needs to believe to be saved and that one is or might be exempt from such if one is completely ignorant of this message of christianity.

Or at least: I have never encountered a christian who said that one does not need to be a christian in order be "saved".

So, I take it you disagree with that position?

Remté

It seems to me that it's pretty much universal doctrine of christianity that one needs to believe to be saved and that one is or might be exempt from such if one is completely ignorant of this message of christianity.

Or at least: I have never encountered a christian who said that one does not need to be a christian in order be "saved".

So, I take it you disagree with that position?
I'm not a Christian myself. I don't see why this need be about Christianity.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
"Sin" is a highly artificial concept.

Leaving that aside, morality is hardly ever "automated", although behavior and discourse may well be.

Morality is an intellectual activity, and its boundaries are limited by intellectual discernment. One of the basic moral tenets is in fact that of developing broader, deeper intellectual perception in order to further our moral abilities.

How and when people introduced theistic expectations into the mix is an interesting question to ask, but it does not interfere with the nature of morality proper, just with our ability to discern it.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I'm not a Christian myself. I don't see why this need be about Christianity.

It's kind of implied in the OP.

It talks about "sin" and "hell" and the one being asked about it is a "priest".

Sounds pretty christian to me. What other religion could it be, considering that terminology?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

No, the OP ha very good point. There was no reason whatsoever to mission to that Eskimo, especially if from that moment on, the Eskimo is held accountable for refuting the so called gift.

Ciao

- viole

GoodbyeDave

All "normal" people have an automated understanding of sin - or "wrong" if you like.
But the two things are not equivalent. Everyone knows what wrongdoing exists: no society believes that it's acceptable to murder your parents for their money. But "sin" is the concept of a specific type of wrongdoing — ignoring divine commands — which only applies in systems like Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

The original post, although funny makes a serious point. In Christianity, a person who knows nothing of the faith, and who leads a good life, is "saved". A person who knows about Christianity and rejects it is "damned", no matter how good their life.