• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good & Gather by Target: a possible cure for Walmart "Blues"

Jonathan Bailey

If you have no supermarkets in
your community you may have Walmart Super-centers.

Chances are you may also have Target.

I live in such community. It's called Lawton, OK. The Wal-marts are dumps while the Target is so clean you can practically eat off the floor there. Target may have higher standards for appearance too.

Target has a food/grocery section. The selection is limited and some things might cost much more than in Wal-Mart. Other things are a good deal though.

I like the Target Good & Gather brand frozen fruits there. The Target blueberries taste much better than the Great Value (generic?) ones at Wal-Mart and are 20 cents cheaper than Wal-Mart's for a three-pound bag. I've bought Great Value fruits, blueberries and cherry-berry blend, and on several counts there were bread-mold-tasting pieces of fruit in the bag. Target also has its own cherry-berry blend and a few other varieties.

Target is my new go-to for frozen fruit and some other items.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Target has a no-gun policy?
Target Addresses Firearms in Stores
July 2, 2014

Every day at Target, in everything we do, we ask ourselves what is right for our guests? We make all of our decisions with that question in mind. Questions have circulated in recent weeks around Target’s policy on the “open carry” of firearms in its stores. Today, interim CEO, John Mulligan, shared the following note with our Target team members. We wanted you to hear this update from us, too.

The leadership team has been weighing a complex issue, and I want to be sure everyone understands our thoughts and ultimate decision.

As you’ve likely seen in the media, there has been a debate about whether guests in communities that permit “open carry” should be allowed to bring firearms into Target stores. Our approach has always been to follow local laws, and of course, we will continue to do so. But starting today we will also respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target – even in communities where it is permitted by law.

We’ve listened carefully to the nuances of this debate and respect the protected rights of everyone involved. In return, we are asking for help in fulfilling our goal to create an atmosphere that is safe and inviting for our guests and team members.

This is a complicated issue, but it boils down to a simple belief: Bringing firearms to Target creates an environment that is at odds with the family-friendly shopping and work experience we strive to create.​

Source

Jonathan Bailey

Target Addresses Firearms in Stores
July 2, 2014

Every day at Target, in everything we do, we ask ourselves what is right for our guests? We make all of our decisions with that question in mind. Questions have circulated in recent weeks around Target’s policy on the “open carry” of firearms in its stores. Today, interim CEO, John Mulligan, shared the following note with our Target team members. We wanted you to hear this update from us, too.

The leadership team has been weighing a complex issue, and I want to be sure everyone understands our thoughts and ultimate decision.

As you’ve likely seen in the media, there has been a debate about whether guests in communities that permit “open carry” should be allowed to bring firearms into Target stores. Our approach has always been to follow local laws, and of course, we will continue to do so. But starting today we will also respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target – even in communities where it is permitted by law.

We’ve listened carefully to the nuances of this debate and respect the protected rights of everyone involved. In return, we are asking for help in fulfilling our goal to create an atmosphere that is safe and inviting for our guests and team members.

This is a complicated issue, but it boils down to a simple belief: Bringing firearms to Target creates an environment that is at odds with the family-friendly shopping and work experience we strive to create.​

Source

It might mean Target is just another pansy corporation who is asking to be another casualty on CNN. We all know too well how effectively no-gun policies keep bad and crazy people with guns away, don't we? I seriously doubt that many people in a Constitution Carry state (Oklahoma, Idaho, Vermont, Arizona) or a shall-issue state (Texas, Oregon, Nevada) even know about Target's firearms policy. I suspect there is a lot of concealed carry going on in Walmarts and Targets in these states regardless of store policy. The El Paso Walmart mass shooting certainly must have stimulated an escalation in concealed carry in that town. I can only see these stores' in pro-gun states becoming much safer with more concealed carry.

Well, Target wouldn't be too family-friendly if something bad were to happen in such a store and no good person had a gun to defend both family members and others. Is Target saying no to ALL guns in its stores or just the open-carry ones, the ones everyone can see?

Last edited:

Jonathan Bailey

Must be their no carry policy....

Target firearms policy affects the quality of the groceries, food prices and the cleanliness of the store? Are American gun owners, and those who would religiously carry where law permitted it, reputed to be dirty pigs highly tolerant of squalor in stores and spoiled merchandise? That might be the perception of some to a hillbilly dust bowl state like Oklahoma. Some people claim Oklahoma is just covered with dirt everywhere. Yes, it's a bit rugged in appearance in Sooner. The Lawton Target seems to be the shiny diamond in the rough of this state.

pearl

I like Target stores but when it comes to fresh meat, poultry and produce I stick to local markets.

Jonathan Bailey

I like Target stores but when it comes to fresh meat, poultry and produce I stick to local markets.
Depends on one's income level as to where they live and where they shop.

In Lawton, OK, Target won't be beaten by anybody else in this town for frozen fruits in price and quality.
Walmart is all I can afford (and palate and stomach) for meat, poultry and some produce (bananas, potatoes and coleslaw mix in the bag). All the other "fresh" produce in this town is either too gross and/or too pricey. Our biggest deficit is a local chain warehouse-style SUPERMARKET.

The bulk of my fruits and vegetables comes from frozen bags. Some, like navy beans, diced tomatoes and red beets, come from cans. I've found mold on Walmart produce section tomatoes. My "apples" come in the form of unsweetened generic Walmart applesauce in jars which great with cinnamon over pancakes as a snack. I buy the Hunts spaghetti sauce in cans. Good and cheap.

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
It might mean Target is just another pansy corporation who is asking to be another casualty on CNN. We all know too well how effectively no-gun policies keep bad and crazy people with guns away, don't we?
I suspect that it has more to do with appeasing what they see as the majority.

I seriously doubt that many people in a Constitution Carry state (Oklahoma, Idaho, Vermont, Arizona) or a shall-issue state (Texas, Oregon, Nevada) even know about Target's firearms policy.
Then they have no business carrying a firearm.

I suspect there is a lot of concealed carry going on in Walmarts and Targets in these states regardless of store policy.
Wal-mart has only banned open carry.
They do allow concealed carry.

The El Paso Walmart mass shooting certainly must have stimulated an escalation in concealed carry in that town. I can only see these stores' in pro-gun states becoming much safer with more concealed carry.
I have no idea.
I live in Michiana, quite a distance from El Paso

Well, Target wouldn't be too family-friendly if something bad were to happen in such a store and no good person had a gun to defend both family members and others. Is Target saying no to ALL guns in its stores or just the open-carry ones, the ones everyone can see?
Targets policy is ALL firearms, with the exception of LEO's.[/QUOTE]

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Target firearms policy affects the quality of the groceries, food prices and the cleanliness of the store? Are American gun owners, and those who would religiously carry where law permitted it, reputed to be dirty pigs highly tolerant of squalor in stores and spoiled merchandise? That might be the perception of some to a hillbilly dust bowl state like Oklahoma. Some people claim Oklahoma is just covered with dirt everywhere. Yes, it's a bit rugged in appearance in Sooner. The Lawton Target seems to be the shiny diamond in the rough of this state.
I was being sarcastic

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We all know too well how effectively no-gun policies keep bad and crazy people with guns away, don't we?
Since this seems to indicate you missed the Vegas shooting a few years ago, the problem with places that have guns is the shooters get creative. We've adjust seen this. Massive crowding also puts many more at risk, and what's the swat team to do seeing several and people shooting at eachother? Ask questions first? Blame the good guys with guns for acting like a human and getting jumpy and jittery when the swat team starts shouting at them? What about good guys shooting at and killing eachother because they aren't sure what's all going on?