• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good deeds should not go unnoticed

Vee

Premium Member
I saw in the news today that Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruiselines are sending cruise ships to St Thomas and St Marteen to help the victims of the hurricane.
In a time when companies are all about profit and greed, it is beautiful that these companies have decided to do such a good thing and I only wish more companies had that spirit.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The most likely reason you saw it in the news is that their PR or marketing departments arranged for their "selfless" acts to get maximum media coverage in order to generate good will towards the companies that they hope with translate into future business. Shenanigans aside, however, I hope their actions will help as many people as possible.

Vee

Premium Member
The most likely reason you saw it in the news is that their PR or marketing departments arranged for their "selfless" acts to get maximum media coverage in order to generate good will towards the companies that they hope with translate into future business. Shenanigans aside, however, I hope their actions will help as many people as possible.

One of my colleagues said exactly the same thing, but like you said, we hope they help as many people as possible.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's true that many do good deeds for selfish reasons. Humanity is not evolved to the point where acts are done for the right reasons. But still, it's better than nothing or dumping on such people as some do.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Soo..you'd rather do business with companies that make no effort to help? Published or otherwise?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
How in the Hell could you not?
Because it was not what they said? Pointing out that there's an angle for the decision that isn't altruistic is hardly saying 'businesses shouldn't help' or 'you shouldn't accept help from these businesses.' If anything it just was a reminder to have a realistic outlook on business motives.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Soo..you'd rather do business with companies that make no effort to help? Published or otherwise?
Are you having a bad day?
She said, "In a time when companies are all about profit" @Vee And @Sunstone responded that what they are doing is probably for profit, not that it is a bad thing. :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
How in the Hell could you not?
There was absolutely nothing to imply. Sunstone mentioned they probably have ulterior motives behind their assistance, and you somehow got something about him rather doing business with companies that don't even make the effort to help. It's almost like we aren't even reading the same post, with the only indication of whom you was addressing being the quoted bit.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I saw in the news today that Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruiselines are sending cruise ships to St Thomas and St Marteen to help the victims of the hurricane.
In a time when companies are all about profit and greed, it is beautiful that these companies have decided to do such a good thing and I only wish more companies had that spirit.
It's good their helping, but I very highly doubt their motives are based in altruism. I would think they are more motivated by Milton, seeing opportunity for profit in the midst of disaster by being able to look good and get cheap advertisement.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It's good their helping, but I very highly doubt their motives are based in altruism. I would think they are more motivated by Milton, seeing opportunity for profit in the midst of disaster by being able to look good and get cheap advertisement.

I wouldn't be sure of that.
Individuals within the company would have raised a business case to send the ships. If I was raising a business case, one of the things I'd consider is return on investment. The ships are not the personal property of the company (assuming it's listed) but owned by shareholders.

Giving the executive a way to justify their decision to send the ships merely makes it more likely the ships would be sent.

Wirey

Fartist
I'd wait until they actually got someone home before I'd congratulate them. Too many cruise ships doing their Poseidon Adventure imitation the last few years.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

What difference would it make if the painted "Have your next water adventure with us!" on the sides of the ships? They are helping people.

Vee

Premium Member

It might be but I think help motivated by selfish reasons is much better than no help. Sometimes people have to take what they can get.

DavidFirth

Good deeds never go unnoticed.

Matthew 6
1“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It might be but I think help motivated by selfish reasons is much better than no help. Sometimes people have to take what they can get.
Very true, but we need more honesty in that corporations are held first and foremost to the shareholders and making them a profit. There is no profit to be found in altruism and acting selfless.