• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good books about the sociology of religion?

Betho_br

The Elementary Forms of Religious Life” by Émile Durkheim: A classic in the sociology of religion, Durkheim explores how religion shapes social life and the rituals that unite communities.

The Sacred Canopy: Elements of a Sociological Theory of Religion” by Peter L. Berger: This book examines how religion provides a “sacred canopy” that shapes our understanding of the world and our identity.

"Religion in Sociological Perspective" by Keith A. Roberts and David A. Yamane is a comprehensive exploration of the sociology of religion. In this fully updated sixth edition, the authors introduce students to fundamental theories and research methods in the field. They delve into three interdependent subsystems of religion—meaning, structure, and belonging—and their connections to the larger social structure.

"Religion in the Contemporary World: A Sociological Introduction" by Alan Aldridge is a wide-ranging and accessible book that reviews the contributions sociologists have made to our understanding of the role of religion in society. The founders of sociology initially believed that religion and magic would be replaced by science and technology. However, Aldridge explores the complexities of religious belief, practice, and institutions, including topics like fundamentalism, Pentecostalism, and the shift from religion to spirituality1.

"Gods in the Global Village: The World′s Religions in Sociological Perspective" (Sociology for a New Century Series) Part of: Sociology for a New Century Series (4 books) | by Lester R. (Ray) Kurtz

The Varieties of Religious Experience” by William James: Although not strictly a sociology book, James explores religious experience and its diversity, which may be relevant to sociological study.

"Readings for Diversity and Social Justice" by Warren J. Blumenfeld, D. Chase J. Catalano, et al. is a widely recognized collection that addresses issues related to identity and oppression from a social justice perspective. While not specifically focused on the Sociology of Religion, it offers valuable insights into topics such as racism, religious oppression, classism, ableism, and more.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
The Elementary Forms of Religious Life” by Émile Durkheim: A classic in the sociology of religion, Durkheim explores how religion shapes social life and the rituals that unite communities.

The Sacred Canopy: Elements of a Sociological Theory of Religion” by Peter L. Berger: This book examines how religion provides a “sacred canopy” that shapes our understanding of the world and our identity.

"Religion in Sociological Perspective" by Keith A. Roberts and David A. Yamane is a comprehensive exploration of the sociology of religion. In this fully updated sixth edition, the authors introduce students to fundamental theories and research methods in the field. They delve into three interdependent subsystems of religion—meaning, structure, and belonging—and their connections to the larger social structure.

"Religion in the Contemporary World: A Sociological Introduction" by Alan Aldridge is a wide-ranging and accessible book that reviews the contributions sociologists have made to our understanding of the role of religion in society. The founders of sociology initially believed that religion and magic would be replaced by science and technology. However, Aldridge explores the complexities of religious belief, practice, and institutions, including topics like fundamentalism, Pentecostalism, and the shift from religion to spirituality1.

"Gods in the Global Village: The World′s Religions in Sociological Perspective" (Sociology for a New Century Series) Part of: Sociology for a New Century Series (4 books) | by Lester R. (Ray) Kurtz

The Varieties of Religious Experience” by William James: Although not strictly a sociology book, James explores religious experience and its diversity, which may be relevant to sociological study.

"Readings for Diversity and Social Justice" by Warren J. Blumenfeld, D. Chase J. Catalano, et al. is a widely recognized collection that addresses issues related to identity and oppression from a social justice perspective. While not specifically focused on the Sociology of Religion, it offers valuable insights into topics such as racism, religious oppression, classism, ableism, and more.
Fantastic!

Thanks very much :)

firedragon

Veteran Member

Good books about the sociology of religion?​

I am impressed. You are delving into a super interesting subject. Haha. "Subject" is such an apt word because the topic will teach you so much about subjective truths.

I'd recommend the Sage handbook of sociology of religion. Also "Blackwell" handbook of sociology of religion. Excellent. Bon Voyage.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
I am impressed. You are delving into a super interesting subject. Haha. "Subject" is such an apt word because the topic will teach you so much about subjective truths.

I'd recommend the Sage handbook of sociology of religion. Also "Blackwell" handbook of sociology of religion. Excellent. Bon Voyage.
I did Sociology at university and am interested in religion but I've never really put the two together until now!

firedragon

Veteran Member
I did Sociology at university and am interested in religion but I've never really put the two together until now!
You know I have a bit of a soft corner for people who study sociology. It has always been the case. Please be kind enough to get a handbook, which is comprehensive and let me know how you take it the topic. It's rare to meet people who have done sociology at university level. And I would love to hear from you after you explore the topic of Sociology of Religion. I have a very good friend of mine who did a Phd in the topic. Prolific author and a highly respected scholar. His writings are absolutely fantastic.

The thing with reading books by a specific author is that their books are highly specific. Also the problem with textbooks is that you have to follow from A to Z or never start at all. I am sure as an academic you know this very well. That's the reason I recommended handbooks.

Cheers.

Betho_br

Do you want to become a doctor in this area of research?

"The victim of lynching, thus, for having offended the a culture's codes of morality emotionally given in an intolerable way, experiences collective punishment in the form of its total destruction as person, which in turn compensates the crime he committed to a righteous person deprived of its gift of life, just as it excuses the lynch mob before the divinity"

Attachments

• Deus E O Diabo Na Terra Do Sol (Religiao Vivida, Conflito).pdf
    378.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Resenha MARTINS, José de Souza. Linchamentos a justiça popular no Brasil.pdf
    152.7 KB · Views: 11

wellwisher

Do you want to become a doctor in this area of research?

"The victim of lynching, thus, for having offended the a culture's codes of morality emotionally given in an intolerable way, experiences collective punishment in the form of its total destruction as person, which in turn compensates the crime he committed to a righteous person deprived of its gift of life, just as it excuses the lynch mob before the divinity"
I think you are confusing the genuine religious, with the closet Atheists, who were socially part of Religions, at a time when Atheism still had to remain in the closet. To be part of the mainstream, at time of Atheist persecution, Atheist had to appear socially religious to stay below the radar. As they achieved social position of power, their alternate reality, caused a cross contamination of behavior that then got peg as due to religion.

For example, there is nothing about Priests going after young boys in Christianity. However, that unChristian behavior is attributed to Christianity. Homosexuality was taboo, some gay men to fit in, became Priests to be part of the acceptable social structure, making this unchristian behavior get attributed to religion; atheist outbreaks of closet confusion. This is a very interesting area of sociology; religious closet sociology. The more violent aspects of the modern Muslim religion, have the same MO. A handful of quotes should not out weigh the other 99%.

There is nothing in Christianity that justifies the Spanish Inquisition or the burning of witches in Salem. But these happened at times, when Atheism was less accepted, and to be part to the leadership in a Religious based Social Structure, one needed to stay quiet and play along; social politics. Do not make waves but move up the ladder and cause change from within. Once in power, the inner Atheist, which likes to persecute, comes out and it becomes labeled as official church business.

This is a two for one; damage religion so the closet can become more open, which it did. Slavery was not Christian but from the closet. The Welfare State is not Christian, since it enslaves by creating dependency, thereby owing your capture, to keep you captive; a sure thing vote. The DNC run inner cities are nasty, with the leaders using the faux guise of Christian charity for their own power needs. Today with the Atheists opening all the closets doors, religions are less affected by the hidden cancer within, and now more impacted by the liberated cancer, outside, that still holds a grudge from its own projected passive aggressive behavior.

wellwisher

An interesting addendum to this closet Atheist in religion changing religion from the inside, is how modern Atheists spun the 1st Amendment of the Constitution, from the wording that places all restrictions on Government; freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly and grievances, to restriction of these freedom of the citizens, in favor of Big Brother. Government makes excuses for its violations.

This may be projected fear of infiltration of the closet religious and good citizen findings their way into Government and altering secular law the other way; projected fear due to their historic guilt. Atheist now use Government to try to morph religion from the outside; forced the idea of gay marriage or priests who protest at abortion clinic are domestic terrorists; no free speech or peaceful assembly.