• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf clubs

Greyscale

Does anyone here play this game? I'm a newbie in it and don't know what club is better to use in it in the beginning. Which one can you recommend me to choose? Thanks in advance.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Does anyone here play this game? I'm a newbie in it and don't know what club is better to use in it in the beginning. Which one can you recommend me to choose? Thanks in advance.

Well, as far as what club, I carried 15 in my bag when I first started (three woods, 9 irons, a pitching wedge, a sand wedge, and a putter). You'll find each one serves its own purpose (unless you're like me and find they all serve the purpose of hitting a little white ball into the woods).

As a beginner, I recommend picking up a decent used set (I got mine at a garage sale) to determine if you like the game and if you are any good at it. No point in spending hundreds of dollars on a set of new clubs to find out you don't like the game or just quit out of frustration.

Notanumber

A Free Man

I would recommend a seven iron but don’t try to hit the ball too hard.

There are some very good tutorial videos on YouTube.

shmogie

A great practice club to begin to learn the game is a 9 iron. You can chip around in the yard, get an idea of the loft a club imparts, and you can beat the tar out of wiffle golf balls, i.e. learn the swing.

Get Ben Hogans basic book . forgot the title.

Finally, if you can, get a few lessons. It will save you much frustration in the years to come if your grip and swing are established correctly at the beginning.

Have fun !

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I'd largely mirror the advice already given. My wife is about to start playing, and I'm going to give her a 7 iron and a putter, and that will be it for a while!

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I know we're talking about clubs here, but if you're headed to the course, I'd also recommend fluorescent orange balls. Much easier to find when you miss the fairway and find yourself searching through the rough (or in my case, the woods).

Notanumber

A Free Man
I know we're talking about clubs here, but if you're headed to the course, I'd also recommend fluorescent orange balls. Much easier to find when you miss the fairway and find yourself searching through the rough (or in my case, the woods).

I used to find more balls than I lost doing that.:)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I used to find more balls than I lost doing that.:)

I started out in arrears with balls until I got smart and started looking for "my" balls on the right hand side of the driving range.

People thought it was odd that I was looking over there since the course was on the left side of the range.

Sensor

I agree with other replies, if you're such a newbie in golf, choosing the certain type of club won't affect much your playing skills. Yeah, there are many types of them and there's difference in their pros and cons but unless you become an experienced player, you won't really see this difference so you can start with any types you like, you'll anyway need much time for learning to play this game :) And yeah, it's better to get the used set in the beginning, there's no sense for spending much money on the new one in the beginning, especially considering that you may
lose your interest in golf later.
So I recommend you to follow such tips:
- play several games with the used clubs or the ones which you can borrow for some time from others
- play with the used set and later replace it with the type of clubs which you used in it for more than one year (there are such types of them as for example putters, woods, hybrids https://golfclubguru.net/golf-hybrids/, irons, wedges and so on)
- buy the new ones accroding to your playing experience when you can feel the difference between the types for making various swings