• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golden rules are often overlooked

uberrobonomicon4000

When it comes to religion or those who consider themselves religious, it seems simple golden rules are often overlooked.

For example: “Treat others the way you would want to be treated yourself.”

I can give a few examples how this isn’t followed: marriage equality, equal rights, freedom of religion, etc. There are religious prophets that drank and liked to have a good time, but when it comes to those who profess (claim) to be religious, they are often against drinking and think anything that is illegal is illegal for a reason and should stay that way.Ignoring simple truths of such golden rules and equality. When it comes to social issues, they seemed to be ignored and equality goes out the window. If it isn't part of a religious persons way of life, as in something they don't do or "agree with", they are against it.

Why is that? Why should any one religion have any say so in how someone else should live their lives if they are not part of that religion? Not only that, but why should any religious person feel as if they have the authority to speak for their god when they clearly don't?

Last edited:

Zoe Doidge

Basically a Goddess
Why should any one religion have any say so in how someone else should live their lives if they are not part of that religion?

Probably out of some desire to 'save us from ourselves', or out of fear. With the equal marriage thing the Church of England is scarred they'll end up being forced to perform the ceremonies, even though they'll actually be banned from doing so.

I've never found a justifiable answer to your question.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Why should any one religion have any say so in how someone else should live their lives if they are not part of that religion?

Because people are of the opinion that their religion/beliefs are the only true and real religion/beliefs and that anything that goes against that religion/belief is completely wrong and must be corrected.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
When it comes to religion or those who consider themselves religious, it seems simple golden rules are often overlooked.

For example: “Treat others the way you would want to be treated yourself.”

I can give a few examples how this isn’t followed: marriage equality, equal rights, freedom of religion, etc. There are religious prophets that drank and liked to have a good time, but when it comes to those who profess (claim) to be religious, they are often against drinking and think anything that is illegal is illegal for a reason and should stay that way.Ignoring simple truths of such golden rules and equality. When it comes to social issues, they seemed to be ignored and equality goes out the window. If it isn't part of a religious persons way of life, as in something they don't do or "agree with", they are against it.

Why is that? Why should any one religion have any say so in how someone else should live their lives if they are not part of that religion? Not only that, but why should any religious person feel as if they have the authority to speak for their god when they clearly don't?

What's the difference between an organized system of morality controlling others' lives, and an unorganized system of one?

Humanism being used to limit another's freedom is not too different than a Muslim's morality being used to limit another's freedom.

Difference: Different limits.

Similarities: Both are faith-based moral concepts (defining faith as without evidence). There is evidence that they work for a certain goal, but there is no evidence on which goal is better.

uberrobonomicon4000

What's the difference between an organized system of morality controlling others' lives, and an unorganized system of one?

Humanism being used to limit another's freedom is not too different than a Muslim's morality being used to limit another's freedom.

Difference: Different limits.

Similarities: Both are faith-based moral concepts (defining faith as without evidence). There is evidence that they work for a certain goal, but there is no evidence on which goal is better.
I'm unaware of humanism being used to control peoples lives. Can you provide some examples?

The Sum of Awe

I'm unaware of humanism being used to control peoples lives. Can you provide some examples?

If a moral code didn't limit peoples' lives, there'd be no moral code.

They control the lives of people who murder, rape, and steal. They control the lives of religious people who overly-express their religion. They control the lives of Capitalists. They control the lives of Conservatives, etc.

uberrobonomicon4000

Because people are of the opinion that their religion/beliefs are the only true and real religion/beliefs and that anything that goes against that religion/belief is completely wrong and must be corrected.
They can't correct their own religion, much less their own beliefs.
Maybe they should find a new hobby? :shrug:

uberrobonomicon4000

If a moral code didn't limit peoples' lives, there'd be no moral code.

They control the lives of people who murder, rape, and steal. They control the lives of religious people who overly-express their religion. They control the lives of Capitalists. They control the lives of Conservatives, etc.
So, let me get this straight.. you think murder, rape and stealing is perfectly normally?

The Sum of Awe

So, let me get this straight.. you think murder, rape and stealing is perfectly normally?

The basis of your moral code is what is normal is what is right?

Assuming you missed used the word normal and replaced it for 'fine', then it is fine in the mind of certain people, it all depends.

uberrobonomicon4000

That's because they do not believe there is anything that needs correcting in their own religion.
That seems like a serious problem or flaw with their religion (way of thinking).

I guess something like that may be hard to be corrected. Like a person that writes left handed. You can't make them write right handed if they are naturally left handed.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
That seems like a serious problem or flaw with their religion (way of thinking).

I guess something like that may be hard to be corrected. Like a person that writes left handed. You can't make them write right handed if they are naturally left handed.

Its pretty common actually, not that I agree with it.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Certainly, there are always people, whether religious or non-religious, who ignore treating their fellow human beings as well as they should and unfortunately, there probably always will be. People "step" on others to get what they want out of life- not all people, mind you, but plenty. If a person wants power, they get it- not even thinking about who they hurt along the way- the same can be for anything else. People break into houses and steal other people's belongings so they can get what they want or they rob a store or they do it electronically, as in white collar crime. If they were only getting what they need, all they would need to do is ask and they will probably get it (for example, some disabled man on the news was losing his house and a lot of people sent the news agency money for the man so he could keep it). But if a person said they really want the newest video game consul, I doubt anyone would break out their check books for it.

If every person obeyed the various forms of the Golden Rule, this kind of thing may not happen. But you can't force people to be kind.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

You can't really blame the religion for such things. It is people who do this kind of thing. People seem to have this need to always be right- and if the person is "right" then the others have to be wrong (in his/her mind). Too many people follow this line of thought. Once we think that we can be right and others can be right, too, or at least there is a chance you, they, or I can be right.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Keep in mind the golden rule is a general frame and it is VERY subjective.

marriage equality, equal rights, freedom of religion, etc

Someone can say "I dont want to have the rights to practice any religions. I just want to have the right to practice Islam". Then this person would interpret the golden rule accordingly "Everyone has the right to practice Islam. Correct anyone that deviates from the "Truth" (Islam) as you would like them to correct you so that you do not deviate from this "Truth" (Islam)

Similarly, "I want the right to form a family made up of a father and a mother and some biological children everyne should have the right to form a family like that. If someone makes a mistake about what is a good family, I want to correct him, because I would never like to make a mistake about how a family most be formed"

And so on and so forth. So while I support equal rights, homosexual marriage and freedom of religion (and FROM religion) I am simply making the point of how easy it is to interpret the golden rule on a way different to which you are interpreting it in the OP.

Me Myself

Back to my username

not only you can, but it also has been done.

Not saying it is any good though.

uberrobonomicon4000

The basis of your moral code is what is normal is what is right?

Assuming you missed used the word normal and replaced it for 'fine', then it is fine in the mind of certain people, it all depends.
No I didn't mistype or misuse any words. Rape, murder and stealing is not normal and anyone that thinks it is has some serious problems.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
not only you can, but it also has been done.

Not saying it is any good though.

People seem to have a way to believe that only religious people have this flaw. All people, despite religion, faith, and those of no religion have these kinds of flaws in their thinking. You can't blame everything on religion.

uberrobonomicon4000

It's silly to believe what's normal is the basis for morality
What's silly is your argument of humanism being used to control peoples lives, by claiming there is nothing wrong with rape, murder, stealing, etc. I take you didn't read anything in the OP before you originally posted and just decided to vent about humanism with knowing anything about it. :facepalm: