• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golden rule

Altfish

Veteran Member
People say they do then call other people names. So maybe their in contradiction with their values or they don't realize if they hurt others that's how you want to be treated too.

Religion gives it context. By itself it's hard to see it with human bias
Sorry, I am an atheist and follow The Golden Rule; religion tries to claim it but it not theirs to dictate to others.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I've heard those not religious still hold some things in scripture though without god context: do into others as one as you want others to do for you.

Are we treating ourselves as idiots, stupid etc when we accuse others as being so?
Do (not do) unto others what you (do not) want them to do unto you
So, to call someone stupid is an invitation to be called stupid yourself
Karma is a bitsj, you can't outrun karma, one day it will catch up with you

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If I say that I always manage to follow the Golden Rule, I'd be lying.

It's hard sometimes to treat ourselves as we'd like for us to treat ourselves. When we slip up on others it probably means we have a lot to work on ourselves. I wonder if we didn't see ourselves at fault, would we treat others as if they don't have inherent fault as well.

A Vestigial Mote

I've heard those not religious still hold some things in scripture though without god context: do into others as one as you want others to do for you.

Are we treating ourselves as idiots, stupid etc when we accuse others as being so?

Who are we actually calling idiots?
The "Golden Rule" does not translate to: "anything you do to others is something you want done to yourself." So, by judging someone an idiot, it is not like you simply MUST implement some form of "The Golden Rule" and admit that you treating someone like an idiot equates to you wanting yourself to be judged as an idiot.

The Golden Rule is a prescription for "thinking ahead" as you go to take an action, and if that action would result in things happening to the target of your action that you would not want done to yourself, then perhaps think about it a bit more and make sure it is worth it for the damage you might cause. Not only this, but I believe that when you take such an action, you must be ready for any backlash that might be forthcoming - because as you take the action, you must necessarily realize that others can also take that action against you, and if you don't want that kind of retribution on your hands, perhaps another reason you shouldn't engage. And lastly, probably the most intended meaning of "The Golden Rule" - if you treat others well, you can pretty much expect that they will treat you well in return. An actual prescription to treat others in the ways you would like to be treated, to make sure everyone is happy with how they are being treated.

But in no way does it define some cause and effect scenario whereby what you do or say is exactly what you want done or said to you. Not in the slightest. People do things ALL THE TIME that they would not want done to themselves... and they aren't sitting there thinking "I really wish someone would punch me in the face like this." But, it is my personal opinion that when a person DOES get punched in the face in retribution to their punching someone else, to be surprised that such has happened is a sign of low mental faculty. They didn't think about it, didn't "apply The Golden Rule", etc. In that way The Golden Rule is a sort of prescription against hypocrisy. What's good for the goose...

MNoBody

if I stroke a kat and express kindness then it purrs and returns that which it received
if I press the button for the blender it leaps out of its skin and being thoughtful of surprising the thing like that I think about the others and don't surprise it that way again as it wasn't nice.....basic awareness is that not. unless one takes delight in such

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So who is the "we" you're referring to in:

Tom

We can refer to people in general including the person who says it. We all have some sort of fault so it's not making accusations but making a generalize statement of people or in some context humanity in general. Including the person who said it.

Much like "you (all)" that's not specifically talking about the person addressed but the opposite referring to others but not the person speaking.

Why does there need to be a hidden intention involved in statements and questions?

MNoBody

Why does there need to be a hidden intention involved in statements and questions?
in a duality there is always 2 truths, but people in this period have stopped at one and settled down had kids, made investments, bought insurance thought they had found the promised land in the desert of the real.
apparently not considering the consequences .

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I don't follow the golden rule. I like the idea of ' Be Civil '. Civil to me is to keep the peace, and uphold justice. Kindness and peace go hand in hand. Justice to me is fairness, and safety from harm.

I think the whole idea of the golden rule is that it is an attempt to get people to treat each other well. Certainly there are faults with it. People find loopholes in it.

So what does one do when faced with aggressive intimidation, insult and a total lack of respect. Use civil defense!

Those who treat others well do get further in life it seems.

Then there are those who use power, force, and fear to get their way. But I don't care for such tactics. If power, force, and fear are not used judiciously then they invite fate and all kinds of trouble.

A society of fear, or a society of love and freedom. It's best to appeal to reason I think.

Heyo

Veteran Member
There are discussions about the Golden, Silver and Platinum Rule. But that's not your question as I see.

Who are we actually calling idiots?
I don't mind to be called an idiot, if it is true. I do it to myself sometimes.
If I am being idiotic (false in belief or reasoning), I want to know 'cause that's the way to not be an idiot tomorrow.
Applying the Golden Rule, I can call others idiots. (And I do it sometimes.)
But knowing how that backfires sometimes, I use the Platinum Rule (treat others as they like to be treated) instead, when possible (assumes I know how others want to be treated).

MNoBody

the backs of fools were made for beating, so it was written and so it gets done, world of suffering, such fun, when do we leave?