• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going Mormon...

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Hi everybody,

After twelve years of off-an-on Raelism I have decided to go back to Mormonism.

I can't deny gematria patterns in the Torah.
I can't deny word-print analysis in the Book of Mormon.
I do deny Raelism.

Any advice/welcoming statements?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hi everybody,

I do deny Raelism.

It's not April Fool's Day, robocop. Are you serious or is this thread going to be some kind of joke on us all? If you're serious, welcome back!

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Yes I'm serious. The first baptism question about "God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost" might be challenging to me, but I'll confer with the bishop. All the other baptism questions should be cake.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yes I'm serious. The first baptism question about "God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost" might be challenging to me, but I'll confer with the bishop. All the other baptism questions should be cake.
So, I'm taking this to mean that you officially had your name removed from the Church's records when you left and will need to be re-baptized. I didn't know that; I'd assumed you just kind of drifted away. So what exactly made you decide to come back?

Anyway, if you want to run any of your thoughts by me before you head off to see your bishop, you know where to find me. :)

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
What made me want to come back is exactly what I posted in the first post of this thread.

Joseph saw that there were two beings making up God with bodies of flesh and bones. Because they are the dominant force in our local Universe (I say local because scientifically that's all I know about), they are referred to as God. The Eternal Father; eternal means unchanging and father means producing us. So the power that makes us pass through the present and what we are is the Eternal Father. Jesus and Heavenly Father match up because they are the most powerful so they represent this.

The Holy Ghost is just every thought to me. Matter and thought go together and the Holy Ghost enables these thoughts. We think some of our thoughts are true and some we are not sure, but I personally feel the Holy Ghost is behind all of this.

If I can get past this question though it should be easy the rest.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What made me want to come back is exactly what I posted in the first post of this thread.

Joseph saw that there were two beings making up God with bodies of flesh and bones. Because they are the dominant force in our local Universe (I say local because scientifically that's all I know about), they are referred to as God. The Eternal Father; eternal means unchanging and father means producing us. So the power that makes us pass through the present and what we are is the Eternal Father. Jesus and Heavenly Father match up because they are the most powerful so they represent this.

The Holy Ghost is just every thought to me. Matter and thought go together and the Holy Ghost enables these thoughts. We think some of our thoughts are true and some we are not sure, but I personally feel the Holy Ghost is behind all of this.

If I can get past this question though it should be easy the rest.
Well, actually, I don't think you're even asked to explain what you understand the relationship between the Father, Son and Holy Ghost to be or what their relationship with us is. Aren't you just asked if you believe in God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost? A simple "yes" would be honest, even though you might have a rather unconventional understanding of who they are. And I've got to admit, it's unconventional. I really can't imagine a bishop saying, "Well, you've got to revise what you believe about God, so come back when you've done that." ;)

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
That's cool. Today I had to explain to myself the miracles I felt during Raelism. They were accounted for by things I couldn't know being revealed being through the Holy Ghost and not Extra-Terrestrials, Shivers in my head like going down your spine from authentically interesting thoughts that gave me shivers, and feeling like I was on automatic because I brainwashed myself into believing I was on automatic.

Also, I've been working on those definitions anyway. The Holy Ghost might better be thought of as what gives you greater thoughts.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
If that is where you feel the Holy Spirit is leading you, I say "God bless you and keep you".
Well, actually, I don't think you're even asked to explain what you understand the relationship between the Father, Son and Holy Ghost to be or what their relationship with us is. Aren't you just asked if you believe in God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost? A simple "yes" would be honest, even though you might have a rather unconventional understanding of who they are. And I've got to admit, it's unconventional. I really can't imagine a bishop saying, "Well, you've got to revise what you believe about God, so come back when you've done that." ;)
InChrist said:
So I told the bishop everything. He was happy for me and said I'm worthy to be baptized, but that I need to speak with the missionaries because I'm not an 8-yr old.

Also I like the word choice of saying free agency... it vibes better with my own philosophies.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So I told the bishop everything. He was happy for me and said I'm worthy to be baptized, but that I need to speak with the missionaries because I'm not an 8-yr old.
Cool! I had a hunch he wouldn't have any problems with your beliefs.

Also I like the word choice of saying free agency... it vibes better with my own philosophies.
Could you explain?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Could you explain?
Because I don't believe we make choices or the multiverses would blow up and physics wouldn't work. Free agency means you're able to make decisions differently because you do or do not have commitments. So making commitments, when done, allows us to progress or digress.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
For instance, when people choose to be baptized, get endowments, repent, obey... because they have learned about it properly or whatever the reason, things are meant to change in their lives. But still, I don't believe people really choose; they just become familiar and choose the commitment. We can be enticed two ways, but that doesn't change a thing.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Thank you Katzpur. The members of the LDS Church are few because they have to understand the benefits of joining and that they will succeed along the straight and narrow path, IMO. However I know of no religion that offers more in the afterlife. Many don't think they believe it though. We're all in the world together, trying to make it work. This is sloppy but I'm posting the reply anyhow.

Phantasman

That's cool. Today I had to explain to myself the miracles I felt during Raelism. They were accounted for by things I couldn't know being revealed being through the Holy Ghost and not Extra-Terrestrials, Shivers in my head like going down your spine from authentically interesting thoughts that gave me shivers, and feeling like I was on automatic because I brainwashed myself into believing I was on automatic.

Also, I've been working on those definitions anyway. The Holy Ghost might better be thought of as what gives you greater thoughts.
The shivers are spiritual contact. Just make sure your mind is open to what image the Spirit gives over what the flesh wants you to see. The clarity comes over time, not a wham bam experience.

Personally, a "bishop" is no closer to the Spirit than you are. Knowledge (spiritual) can be obtained by anyone. Not just those with a "degree" on the wall. Don't follow any man. Become better than them. Including "bishops".

Prestor John

Hi everybody,

I do deny Raelism.

Welcome back.

My advice is just to remember that no one is perfect, save Christ, and that He will always love you.

He Restored His Gospel through the prophet Joseph Smith because He loves you.

Everything we have in the Church was given by Him out of His love for the world.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Why I should be LDS again.
I wonder if this is a requirement made of all people who have left the Church and then returned. I know you didn't ask for my advice, but I'm going to give it to you anyway. (Hope you don't mind.) Focus on what the Church means to you and how being a member again will enrich your life and make you a better person. Include your testimony of the Atonement and the Plan of Salvation.