• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Godwin's Law

Viker

Häxan
Sooner or later internet discussions turn into Hitler comparisons or just degenerate into poo. (Same species, IMHO)

Here's an audio-visual example:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Sooner or later internet discussions turn into Hitler comparisons or just degenerate into poo. (Same species, IMHO)
FWIW, from Mike Godwin himself:

"If you’re thoughtful about it and show some real awareness of history, go ahead and refer to Hitler or Nazis when you talk about Trump," he wrote in the Washington Post late last year. "Or any other politician."

He went on to make clear that he thinks that references to the Holocaust and other Nazi crimes are legitimate and can be helpful, in some cases.

"To be clear: I don’t personally believe all rational discourse has ended when Nazis or the Holocaust are invoked," he wrote. "But I’m pleased that people still use Godwin’s Law to force one another to argue more thoughtfully.

"The best way to prevent future holocausts, I believe, is not to forbear from Holocaust comparisons; instead, it’s to make sure that those comparisons are meaningful and substantive."

The man who created the internet’s most famous law says you can break it

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I think Godwin's law has largely obsoleted itself, now that there's a good chance for your opponent in an Internet discussion to be an actual Nazi.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Here's an audio-visual example:

And the really horrible threads turn out to be about Hitler's poo.