• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's People Isaiah 56:3-5

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
to be a jew is not just in a name or blood right but maybe in a behavior?

Isaiah 56:3-5
Sadly, your rhetorical question wobbles somewhere between sloppy and disingenuous.

Why not simply state your position and then tell us why you think some brief snippet from Trito-Isaiah is relevant?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
This would definitely lead to a 'no true Jew' phenomenon.

74x12

to be a jew is not just in a name or blood right but maybe in a behavior?

It's within the heart that matters. The circumcision made with hands is nothing to God; if your heart is far from God he can't be fooled. When God gave Abraham the sign of circumcision it was because he already knew Abraham's faith and his heart was right.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
This would definitely lead to a 'no true Jew' phenomenon.
not really given the fact judah was named based on a behavior and not a birthright. god threatens more than once to destroy the israelites for their bad behavior. in fact every book basically talks about negative behaviors vs positive behaviors.

being called a jew didn't save certain characters from destruction.

god is first a verb and then a noun

exodus 3:14

so in order to be godly, you have to act it and not call yourself or someone else by it

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Sadly, your rhetorical question wobbles somewhere between sloppy and disingenuous.

Why not simply state your position and then tell us why you think some brief snippet from Trito-Isaiah is relevant?
behavior is everything. labeling something doesn't really express its character, its personality, let alone its worth

every tom, dick, and harry doesn't behave the same

so Isaiah has evidently expressed the idea that being labeled, or born as a jew doesn't exclusively make you one of god's besties.

that behavior is more important than ethnicity, birthright.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
so Isaiah has evidently expressed the idea that being labeled, or born as a jew doesn't exclusively make you one of god's besties.

So, you're here to spread the message that being a Jew is not all important. I'm sure there's absolutely nothing antisemitic about such a noble campaign.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
to be a jew is not just in a name or blood right but may be in a behavior?

Sorry, but no. Nor does your quote show it to be so--a foreigner who attaches himself to the Lord is basically a convert, someone who has become part of the People of Israel and is no longer a non-Jew.

So basically if you are a non-Jew, you can keep all of the 613 laws, you can go to synagogue every Shabbat, you can eat gefilte fish and drink Manischewitz and throw around Yiddish tidbits left and right, and you are still not a Jew.

A Jew is someone who is either born of a Jewish mother, or who has undergone a lawful conversion.

IndigoChild5559

It's within the heart that matters.
That is just not always true. I can be a non-racist and be the friend of many blacks, but I bet you that if I crossed the line and started saying I was black because I acted black or because I had a black heart, they would take considerable offense.

74x12

That is just not always true. I can be a non-racist and be the friend of many blacks, but I bet you that if I crossed the line and started saying I was black because I acted black or because I had a black heart, they would take considerable offense.
It's very complicated I think. Would all black people be offended by this?

74x12

What is a Jew to you? Someone who is racially a Jew or religiously a Jew? I know that the word Jew is used for both.

IndigoChild5559

What is a Jew to you? Someone who is racially a Jew or religiously a Jew? I know that the word Jew is used for both.
There is only one kind of Jew, and that is someone who is a part of the People of Israel. The easiest way to be part of our tribal people is simply to be born a Jew, to be the child of a Jewish mom. But there are those adopted into the Children of Israel via a lawful conversion -- these start out their lives as non-Jews, but finish their lives just as Jewish as anyone born of a Jewish mom. Once you understand that our Jewish identity is a tribal identity, the pieces fall into place. Yes, we have our religion (our covenant). But not all members of the tribe follow the covenant. They are still members of the tribe, however.

74x12

There is only one kind of Jew, and that is someone who is a part of the People of Israel. The easiest way to be part of our tribal people is simply to be born a Jew, to be the child of a Jewish mom. But there are those adopted into the Children of Israel via a lawful conversion -- these start out their lives as non-Jews, but finish their lives just as Jewish as anyone born of a Jewish mom. Once you understand that our Jewish identity is a tribal identity, the pieces fall into place. Yes, we have our religion (our covenant). But not all members of the tribe follow the covenant. They are still members of the tribe, however.
Do you understand why Esau wasn't a Jew?

74x12

If you could somehow find a rare exceptional black who didn't give a hoot, would that excuse insulting the rest?
I think that many would not be offended. It's not very offensive in my opinion even if I put myself in their shoes. Although IF I were to tell black people that they are not black because x, y, z then that would be offensive. I'll give you that.

IndigoChild5559

I think that many would not be offended. It's not very offensive in my opinion even if I put myself in their shoes. Although IF I were to tell black people that they are not black because x, y, z then that would be offensive. I'll give you that.
I think you'd be in for a very big shock. It would take a great deal of chutzpah on your part to make the claim, as if you could possibly relate to how it actually is to be black. I'll say no more.