• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's name

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
God actually does not have a name. Spiritually no one has a name. Everyone already knows who everyone is. On the other hand, in this physical world we use language. Names are used ,such as God, in order to supply a frame of reference. It really doesn't matter what name you use for God as long as others know who you refer to. I see no problem for anyone to use the generic when it comes to language.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!
What you see is far from correct. To begin with, “God” is not a name….

It is a TITLE.

A title can belong to many different individuals and even of different species since it is only a reference to position of status, worth, value, etc.

Money, can be a God. Power, can be a God, anything that is worshipped (given total reverent attention) can be classed as a God. However, you notice that each of the proceeding is prefaced with the INDEFINITE ARTICLE ‘A’ (or ‘AN’). If a specific ‘God’ is referred to them the DEFINITE ARTICLE (‘THE’) is prefaced. So, since there are many ‘a’ God, we refer to the “God believed on by the Israelites” as “The Israelite God”.

Among virtually all tribes and nations the belief was that there were many Gods who created and ruled over the world. Thus, each God was given a name as a personal identifier. However, since the Israelites only believed in one God, initially this God did not need a name (something you extremely crudely referenced!). But, when the Israelites came up into direct intermingling with a certain tribe and nation (to wit, the Egyptians) they were ‘teased’ by these people that what kind of God do you have that doesn’t even have a name… So, to make sure they did not invent a name for their Gid that was irreverent, the Israelite God GAVE THEM A NAME TO CALL HIM BY.

The Old Testament states the Israelite God as giving a name to the prophet Moses to give to the people of Israel. This God stated that it was to be his name for eternity.

I don’t think you can claim that this God does not have a name when that God gave his name to those who believe in him. And moreover, it is written for all to read for themselves and to others.

No! It is only malice that causes one to claim against what is written for the very purpose of being known!

Last edited:

pearl

So why is it sinful to say, ‘Jehovah’, or ‘Yahweh’, since it is now unknown how to exactly say the Hebrew name ‘YHWH’. In fact, since there was no letter ‘Y’ in Hebrew lettering, we can’t even know EXACTLY what it is.

There is no question of being sinful, just mistaken. As I understand it the correct term for substitution of YHWH was to be Adoni.

The vowel-signs e, o, a, given to the Tetragrammaton in the written text, therefore, indicate this pronunciation, Aedonai, while the form Jehovah, introduced by a Christian writer about 1520, rests on a misunderstanding.
The translation of YHWH by the word Lord in the King James's and in other versions is due to the traditional reading of the Tetragrammaton as Adonai, and this can be traced to the oldest translation of the Bible, the Septuagint.
ADONAI - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Bird123

What you see is far from correct. To begin with, “God” is not a name….

It is a TITLE.

A title can belong to many different individuals and even of different species since it is only a reference to position of status, worth, value, etc.

Money, can be a God. Power, can be a God, anything that is worshipped (given total reverent attention) can be classed as a God. However, you notice that each of the proceeding is prefaced with the INDEFINITE ARTICLE ‘A’ (or ‘AN’). If a specific ‘God’ is referred to them the DEFINITE ARTICLE (‘THE’) is prefaced. So, since there are many ‘a’ God, we refer to the “God believed on by the Israelites” as “The Israelite God”.

Among virtually all tribes and nations the belief was that there were many Gods who created and ruled over the world. Thus, each God was given a name as a personal identifier. However, since the Israelites only believed in one God, initially this God did not need a name (something you extremely crudely referenced!). But, when the Israelites came up into direct intermingling with a certain tribe and nation (to wit, the Egyptians) they were ‘teased’ by these people that what kind of God do you have that doesn’t even have a name… So, to make sure they did not invent a name for their Gid that was irreverent, the Israelite God GAVE THEM A NAME TO CALL HIM BY.

The Old Testament states the Israelite God as giving a name to the prophet Moses to give to the people of Israel. This God stated that it was to be his name for eternity.

I don’t think you can claim that this God does not have a name when that God gave his name to those who believe in him. And moreover, it is written for all to read for themselves and to others.

No! It is only malice that causes one to claim against what is written for the very purpose of being known!

I am not concerned with beliefs or stories. I speak to what is. Further, if every country had their own God and had their own specific name, in the realm of what is, it would not matter. One God is what is. On the other hand, God has an almost infinite number of children. Many value and are satisfied with Beliefs over what actually is.

It has never ever been about worship, power, ruling, controlling, anger, wrath or any of the other petty things mankind holds so dear. If one seeks only what is, one is able to Discover, in time, God has no name, neither do we simply because names really are never needed and serve no purpose.

In this physical world, a Rose is still a Rose regardless of the name one chooses as a reference. Why? Because it's the actually Rose that really matters.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am not concerned with beliefs or stories. I speak to what is. Further, if every country had their own God and had their own specific name, in the realm of what is, it would not matter. One God is what is. On the other hand, God has an almost infinite number of children. Many value and are satisfied with Beliefs over what actually is.

It has never ever been about worship, power, ruling, controlling, anger, wrath or any of the other petty things mankind holds so dear. If one seeks only what is, one is able to Discover, in time, God has no name, neither do we simply because names really are never needed and serve no purpose.

In this physical world, a Rose is still a Rose regardless of the name one chooses as a reference. Why? Because it's the actually Rose that really matters.

When you say God has no name, do you mean no title describes him? Or you mean no title is chosen among titles?

The way I understand, God has not a chosen a title among titles as in sound words or written words, but rather, he has chosen his images and holy ones as his "names" metaphorically.

They somehow have in their holy spirits infinite aspects of God but in a limited way. They are more like "pointers" to God if you understand programming, none of these are the original essence of God, but they all point to God and manifest infinite attributes he has, while God is One and transcends divisions.

God is infinitely more "not like" his "his highest likeness in the heavens and earth" and has no real sign to point to him and is beyond metaphor, but his greatest signs are his path and they point to the middle balance and glory.

God will forever be unknown, and there is no way to know him. But yet, he is what is travelled to, honor is gained by ascending to him, and the path cannot be walked without acknowledging his Oneness and Unique absolute level of exaltedness such that we should not see anything on par with him and reserve a word of revering for him (worship).

Soapy

When you say God has no name, do you mean no title describes him? Or you mean no title is chosen among titles?

The way I understand, God has not a chosen a title among titles as in sound words or written words, but rather, he has chosen his images and holy ones as his "names" metaphorically.

They somehow have in their holy spirits infinite aspects of God but in a limited way. They are more like "pointers" to God if you understand programming, none of these are the original essence of God, but they all point to God and manifest infinite attributes he has, while God is One and transcends divisions.

God is infinitely more "not like" his "his highest likeness in the heavens and earth" and has no real sign to point to him and is beyond metaphor, but his greatest signs are his path and they point to the middle balance and glory.

God will forever be unknown, and there is no way to know him. But yet, he is what is travelled to, honor is gained by ascending to him, and the path cannot be walked without acknowledging his Oneness and Unique absolute level of exaltedness such that we should not see anything on par with him and reserve a word of revering for him (worship).
What do you imagine the term: ‘I Am’, means?

The Israelite God made the claim that He ‘Is what He is’… and He thus called Himself, ‘I Am’.

But ‘I Am’ is an English MEANING of what the Israelite God actually spoke. We can no longer know the actual pronunciation but the spelling is absolutely known. It is the Hebrew word, ‘YHWH’ (in English letters).

Note that the Hebrew word is a single one but the English is two words.

What does it mean to you?

To mean, it means ‘One who is eternally what he is’… he JUST IS!!

To confirm that, the Israelite God said, “I changeth not!’… which absolutely confirms ‘I Am’ (YHWH).

And no one even dare take that name for themselves but you notice that no one fears to call their child ‘Jesus’ (Actually, it’s Joshua, in jewish language!)

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What do you imagine the term: ‘I Am’, means?

The Israelite God made the claim that He ‘Is what He is’… and He thus called Himself, ‘I Am’.

But ‘I Am’ is an English MEANING of what the Israelite God actually spoke. We can no longer know the actual pronunciation but the spelling is absolutely known. It is the Hebrew word, ‘YHWH’ (in English letters).

Note that the Hebrew word is a single one but the English is two words.

What does it mean to you?

To mean, it means ‘One who is eternally what he is’… he JUST IS!!

To confirm that, the Israelite God said, “I changeth not!’… which absolutely confirms ‘I Am’ (YHWH).

And no one even dare take that name for themselves but you notice that no one fears to call their child ‘Jesus’ (Actually, it’s Joshua, in jewish language!)

That might be a title that is important, but it's not the only title that is important.

There is a thousand and one titles in Du'a Jawthan and when see in context of each set of 10 and each set with the other 100 sets and one extra, that really God has no title over the other. They all have different benefits, and each of these set of "10" is said to have a different spiritual benefit and effect.

The armor made through these 1001 titles is great, but there is also an equivalent prayer to the armor which uses many less titles and has a different theme and is not even about titles, known as Du'a Jawthan Al-Saghir and it's called "the Small" but it is said it's equivalent in significance and was taught by Imam Musa Al-Kadhim (a) who would go on to face all the trials that he teaches his followers to praise God to be free from in the Du'a.

It is said it's equivalent, but it's really even better for those who understand, then the Du'a Jawthan Kabir. It has all the benefits from Du'a Jawthan and then extra for those who are attentive.

Words at the end need God's face and word of light living wise to be understood.

Alil Lam Meem according to some hadiths mean "I am, God, the King". Not sure if true or not, but seems likely.

Bird123

It seems you didn't really understand what I was saying at all. All that you speak of means nothing. The only thing that matters is WHAT IS!!

Focus away from all the beliefs that come to you from every direction. Religion is mankind's attempt to Understand God. When the facts are not known, they patch the gap with Beliefs. They teach people to value beliefs because that is all they have.

Sadly, I can not see where religion even searches for anything about God. This leaves them standing still. In time, religion will have to change and more forward or they will become obsolete.

Is God really unknowable??? Have they convinced you of that so that you must go through them??

Everyone will go to God when they die. There probably won't be much conversation, however everyone will know God. They will see where they are and where they need to be. This is the point of judgment. Each will judge themselves.

God is at a much Higher Level. WE are but mere ants. God is working on multiple levels with multiple views. A few moments conversation with God might take an intelligent person a week to understand all that was said. How much was missed and went over one's head?

Most would just end up confused with a conversation with God. In order to have a conversation, one must have a certain amount of Understanding. People see what they want to see rather than WHAT IS.

Have to ever talked to an ant? If the ant has not learned and grown enough to understand and God isn't giving answers, telling anyone what to choose and not intimidating choices, how could a person ever expect to understand a conversation of High Intelligence?

In this time-based causal universe, God's actions can be seen. Example: God doesn't give out knowledge. People must struggle to acquire knowledge. Wisdom is acquired on the journey to Discover.

Free choice is an important part of learning. If one is not free to choose, one will choose the opposite as soon as one is free just to find out the other side.

God will never tell anyone what choices to make. God will never hate or condemn, like mankind does, over anyone choices. On the other hand, God will teach us all what our choices really mean. When one truly understands all sides, Intelligence will make the Best choices. There has never ever been a need to hate, condemn and all those petty things mankind holds so dear.

The first thing God pointed to me is that mankind carries such a narrow view. I cry that!! I work on mine every day.

God hides nothing and God needs no holy books. All the secrets of the Universe and God are staring us all in the face. It all waits to be Discovered and it can not be corrupted by the Beliefs mankind wants to be the truth.

Widen your view, Purge yourself of those petty things mankind holds so dear. Expand your thinking to the limit and the view will change before your eyes as your understanding grows. Open a door and it leads to more doors that can be opened.

God is so much more than can be found in any book. Further, there is an almost limitless number of things to Discover.

I know you are getting there when you look at this world and see that it has never ever been a mess. This world is a Masterpiece!!

Expand your understanding enough and you might just get an actual visit from God. Hang onto your hat. On the other hand, if the visit would intimidate your choices, the visit will never happen. That's why the understanding must be great enough that you would be much more than confused or intimidated.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God will never tell anyone what choices to make. God will never hate or condemn, like mankind does, over anyone choices. On the other hand, God will teach us all what our choices really mean. When one truly understands all sides, Intelligence will make the Best choices. There has never ever been a need to hate, condemn and all those petty things mankind holds so dear.

The first thing God pointed to me is that mankind carries such a narrow view. I cry that!! I work on mine every day.

God hides nothing and God needs no holy books.

So you speak a lot about God as if you represent him.

I believe God would represent himself (through his own words - books) and assign leaders that books call to with clear proof.

And it's not that God needs holy book, it's that we need them. Of course, it doesn't guarantee success and guidance, but that's not because God didn't reach out, it's because we don't accept his guidance.

Bird123

So you speak a lot about God as if you represent him.

I believe God would represent himself (through his own words - books) and assign leaders that books call to with clear proof.

And it's not that God needs holy book, it's that we need them. Of course, it doesn't guarantee success and guidance, but that's not because God didn't reach out, it's because we don't accept his guidance.

You do not Understand God nor I. No one represents God. I tell you what is from personal experience.

God will never tell anyone what to choose. Each will learn through their choices. Choosing is too important to allow others to do it for you.

Do people really need holy books? God's system has been in place and working long before mankind invented and wrote their first holy book.

In time, God's system is 100%. All the children are going to make it. There is no need of guidance. When one understands all sides, Intelligence will make the best choices. The other choices will not be viable choices one could make simply because they do not bring the best results. In time, one will advance enough to be able to create a Heavenly state for themselves and others.

Do you think those holy books could lead one to be able to create a Heavenly state?? How could they when they value those petty things that mankind holds so dear: Power, Ruling, Controlling, Hating, Blaming, Judging, Condemning, Punishing, Payback,Intimidating, Coercing, Threatening, Creating a We against They and Etc? Couple this with EGO and what is generated is about as far from God as one can get. What are those holy books really teaching the children?

If one can not see what I am saying in those holy books, one does not really Understand these petty things mankind holds so dear for what they really are. More lessons are needed. Until one reaches true Understanding, one will never be able to create a Heavenly state for anyone.

It's not just religions that teach these petty things. Society passes this stuff down through the generations. It appears the journey will be a long one for many. On the other hand, there is no time limit on learning.

God's system also teaches everyone Unconditional Love. In the end, when one really Understands ,one Discovers Unconditional Love is the only viable choice one can make.

I do not work on beliefs. All that I have said can be Discovered for oneself. Like I said. God hides nothing. All the secrets of the Universe and God are staring us all in the face. It waits to be Discovered. Each chooses their journey.

Finally, so much is said about God that simply is not true. Discovering this at a young age, I started my journey to Discover the Real Truth regardless of what that truth turned out to be. WIDEN THAT VIEW!!!! Instead of saying God is unknowable, one should say: If God exists then God can be found!!!

God can be found!! On the other hand, I find very very few who actually want to find God. There is much more going on behind the scenes people do not talk about. That is perfectly OK. Each will Choose for themselves what they want to Discover. I have always been one who had to know.

If

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ruling and Authority in themselves are petty goals. But as a means to spreading good and human rights, it can be good to strive for power.

God understands human rights and so would be the best king we can have.

The reward Mohammad (s) is accused of seeking in terms of power, control, fame, etc, God's reward and sustenance is much higher, but from another perspective, it's upon God to establish this in a person and choose who will lead and rule and be the top authority on earth.

This is what the "I ask no reward for it" verses are all about, or paraphrased to some degree.

And Mohammad's (s) doesn't care about bloodline and authority like monarchs, but rather, God to limit fake claims of leadership, always assigns succession in family of Prophets and blood links and mostly "offspring, part of it from some (of that offspring)".

So it may seem mirror wise, petty. That they care about authority as an end like most petty humans, but Prophets and Leaders chosen by God, don't care for it except that they know they won't be tyrants and will benefit humanity if they rule and people obey them.

And God's wisdom would want to funnel out fake claims to leadership and limit who can do that, and so kinship is a requirement not because they are power hungry for monarchy, but because God is going to choose the leaders from the mystical family in close kinship, to prevent humans from following all sorts of people claiming leadership.

Bird123

The "Real Truth"? Holy Cow, never thought of that. Thanks.

May I suggest a little less capitalization and a lot less pretension?​

I speak to what is. I copy God when I place truth in the world. How anyone chooses to take it is entirely up to them.

I am not a writer nor a poet. I'm just muddling through. I suggest you try doing the same.

I make no demands of anyone. What is...is. Anyone's choices or journey have never been up to me. I merely point.

Soapy

Like what, specifically?
Are you willing to elaborate?

I’m always open to having an amiable discussion.
No! Unless you are a JW it’s mainly pointless.

But just so you don’t think I’m running away:
  • JW claim that Jesus was an Angel before coming as man
  • JW claim they know the day the world as it is will end (Jesus returning)
  • JW claim there are [only] 144,000 of the elect of God - and they are all JWs
Thats as far as I’m going. My debate is with with the ideologies presented in posts - not explicitly against any specific Christian belief system.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
How many religions call their god "God?" I can only think of Christianity. Why don't they call their god by his name instead of the generic term? Is it because they think he's the only one, so any talk of "God" automatically refers to theirs?
I find both God and Lord are titles.
When un-faithful Jews fell away mixing with non-Jews superstition caused people to stop using God's name (YHWH)
When Jesus came along he taught that God's name should be hallowed ( held sacred/ sanctified ).
Jesus used God's name and said he would make it known according to John 17:6; John 17:26.
The King James at Psalms 83:18 uses the accepted English translation of the Tetragrammaton YHWH as: Jehovah.
So, it is Not Christianity but 'Christendom' (so-called Christian but mostly in name only) that does Not use God's name.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
No! Unless you are a JW it’s mainly pointless.
But just so you don’t think I’m running away:
  • JW claim that Jesus was an Angel before coming as man
  • JW claim they know the day the world as it is will end (Jesus returning)
  • JW claim there are [only] 144,000 of the elect of God - and they are all JWs.............
1) Jesus as an angel I find at 1 Thessalonians 4:16 because Lord Jesus has the Archangel's voice.
2) Wicked world will end (Not Earth - Ecclesiastes 1:4 B; Psalms 104:5 ) - Matthew 24:42 - No one knows the day Jesus is coming but know that the time is now right - Matthew 24:36-37
3) Revelation 14:1 says 144,000 they are the ones of Revelation 22:3 B and they are called to serve as kings and priests - Revelation 5:9-10 - and have that first or earlier resurrection found at Revelation 20:6 serving the meek people who will inherit the Earth as Jesus promised at Matthew 5:5 from Psalms 37:9-11.
- www.jw.org

Soapy

1) Jesus as an angel I find at 1 Thessalonians 4:16 because Lord Jesus has the Archangel's voice.
Ooohhh, noooo! No no no! You got that all wrong, mon ami! ‘With the voice of an archangel’ means that the voicer IS NOT an ArchAngel….!!

Try the sentence again….

If Jesus WAS an archangel then there is no need to say that his voice is LIKE (is that of an) archangel….

Dispel the JW indoctrination and see the truth… It’s like when Trinitarians say that Jesus is LIKE GOD. How is he LIKE GOD if he IS GOD…? … ah, now you see it, because it’s not faulting JW claims you can see it!!!
2) Wicked world will end (Not Earth - Ecclesiastes 1:4 B; Psalms 104:5 ) - Matthew 24:42 - No one knows the day Jesus is coming but know that the time is now right - Matthew 24:36-37
Hmmm… I’ve read a few JW magazines and critiques…. Yep, definitely claim the world WILL END in …1944, 19xx.. such and such and you know that since you have access to all JW magazines and summary doctrines!!
3) Revelation 14:1 says 144,000 they are the ones of Revelation 22:3 B and they are called to serve as kings and priests - Revelation 5:9-10 - and have that first or earlier resurrection found at Revelation 20:6 serving the meek people who will inherit the Earth as Jesus promised at Matthew 5:5 from Psalms 37:9-11.
Well, yes, that’s how it reads to the uninitiated. And that’s why Revelation is written in symbolic code… so the uninitiated cannot see the reality. God is no simpleton that he should expose his doings so feebly - even Satan doesn’t know all of God’s workings - and NOT EVEN JESUS CHRIST…!

Jesus only told of the events that would indicate the coming of the end - and yet not even that but the BEGINNING OF the END!

Besides, all numbers in scriptures (and ESPECIALLY the book of Revelation) are SYMBOLIC… ha! Suppose it was 12,000 from each 12 major religious groups … or perhaps it just means ‘a vast number’?

From the time of the setting up of the JW belief, have there not been vastly more than 144,000 JW elders declared as ‘One of the Elect’? Absolutely there are! And yet are we to believe that only JW’s are to be of the elect of God…. Fantasy easily shown to be smoke-and-Mirrors to seduce elders and ministers to imagine themselves ‘Saved’.

Think about this? When 144,000 JW only are elect (and that occurred many years ago!) what have other elders and ministers got to work towards… WHO appointed them as ‘Elect’, and WHY?

Answer the questions in sincerity and with a holy conscience and you will find that the answer is NOT FROM ALMIGHTY GOD!!
Please do not quote from specific Christian belief doctrine (doctrine). It is a baseless way to debate and is a complete waste of time and effort.

When you speak without the ‘Creed’ you speak more clearly and lend yourself to reason and explanation of your opinion - but a creed has no reason nor explanation and it therefore worthless.

Anyone can use a ‘Creed’ without justification of their point of view - that is the main reason JW and Trinitarians cut each other’s throats all the time: each can see that the doctrinal creed of the other is rife with fallacies but can’t see it in their own creed!

I, standing outside of both trinitarianism and JW’ism can see both fallacies.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
It is God who chooses who are elected (resurrected) to heaven, and God calls them as Jesus' brothers (Matthew 25:40)
The ' brothers' are equals in a family arrangement.
Whereas, the ' sheep ' at the separating time of Matthew 25:31-37 are Not the ' brothers' but they do good to Jesus' brothers while they are still on Earth.

We have many Gods and Goddesses, therefore it is necessary to name them. Avataras, who were born in human form, were given the name by their elders. Otherwise, the deities may be named according to their attributes or the place where they manifested themselves or some such association. For example, a Goddess who appeared near a water fall is called 'Garjia", or perhaps because it is in a tiger territory. Garjan' means a thunderous noise.
I see many problems with Spiritual/faith theology in this message.For example if If something is called a God or Goddess than what is the elder of that being called. However there is some truth to the meaning of this message. We all have ability to become Gods and Goddesses but that is from identity in Jesus Christ and in the Holy Spirit. Two parts to a Three part God. The Father is the support system. Its not possible for something sinful to be a God a pioneer of spiritual truth and enlightenment. This only comes by having the Holy Spirit Who enlightens His followers, who are dedicated to Jesus Christ. What do you say?