• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's Name is God

Muffled

Jesus in me
God goes by a couple of names. Yahweh is one and Ayeh another. He also refers to himself as the God of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob. god is generic word for gods but when we use the generic we capitalize it to mean the one true God. That is also true about Allah. That is a generic word for god in Arabic. The Canaanites had the generic word El for gods but they did not necessarily know the one true God.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The translators of the KJV understood God's only personal name as "Jehovah" (Ps. 83:18, KJV). So it, like "Jesus," "Joshua," "Joseph," and many other personal names became a part of the English language. The KJV translators, for whatever reason, acknowledged this personal name of God in only a few places, but "translated" the remaining 6000 or so other places it is found in the OT Hebrew text as "LORD" (which is neither an honest translation or transliteration).

I believe 6000 is a JW myth. Not every reference to Lord can be translated as Jehovah.

tigger2

I believe 6000 is a JW myth. Not every reference to Lord can be translated as Jehovah.

"Masoretic Text
According to the Jewish Encyclopedia it occurs 5,410 times in the Hebrew scriptures.[52] In the Hebrew Bible, the Tetragrammaton occurs 6828 times,[2] as can be seen in Kittel's Biblia Hebraica and the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia. In addition, the marginal notes or masorah [note 1] indicate that in another 134 places, where the received text has the word Adonai, an earlier text had the Tetragrammaton.[53][note 2] which would add up to 142 additional occurrences. Even in the Dead Sea Scrolls practice varied with regard to use of the Tetragrammaton.[54] According to Brown–Driver–Briggs, יְהֹוָה‎ (qere אֲדֹנָי‎) occurs 6,518 times, and יֱהֹוִה‎ (qere אֱלֹהִים‎) 305 times in the Masoretic Text." - "tetragrammaton", Wikipedia.

Or, if you don't trust any of these sources, you could find Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible. Under "Lord," part 5. start counting most of the uses of YHWH which are rendered as "L
ORD" in the KJV. Then go to part 7. which lists the uses of "Jah" which are rendered as "LORD" in the KJV Bible. Add them together with all the words rendered as "GOD" part 5. and you will see how many uses of YHWH were in the OT Hebrew text used by the KJV translators.

Last edited:

WalterTrull

Godfella
"Father" is a title or description. It is not a personal name. I called my father "father," "dad," "papa," etc., but his only personal name was "William" (or abbreviated form, "Bill").

Our heavenly father has many titles/descriptions, but only one personal name: YHWH (abbreviated form "Yah") in Hebrew transliterated into "Jehovah" (or "Yahweh") in English. Look up Psalm 83:18 in the KJV.

Oh well. I kind of like my descriptive name. I don't think of God as personal, so a description seems fine. Different strokes.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The translators of the KJV understood God's only personal name as "Jehovah" (Ps. 83:18, KJV). So it, like "Jesus," "Joshua," "Joseph," and many other personal names became a part of the English language. The KJV translators, for whatever reason, acknowledged this personal name of God in only a few places, but "translated" the remaining 6000 or so other places it is found in the OT Hebrew text as "LORD" (which is neither an honest translation or transliteration).
It follows the Jewish tradition of not casually using the divine name, and substituting "Lord" when you read it in the Hebrew texts.

tigger2

It follows the Jewish tradition of not casually using the divine name, and substituting "Lord" when you read it in the Hebrew texts.
6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. Mark 7:6, 7, KJV.

IndigoChild5559

6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. Mark 7:6, 7, KJV.
Why are you sending this to me?

rational experiences

Veteran Member
English male shroud Turin victim due to Stonehenge ....star returned sacrificed around era Baha'i message. Ice the saviour body mass melted.

Taught.

Why they went back to Jerusalem to knock down old temple underground science cave tunnel.

Men of science are liars teaching.

Humans on earth exact legal human rights teaching versus satanist...science technology.

English heavens teaching superseded all teachings.

O spin.
G spiral of the spin.
O has core heat I.
O split into DD cooling spin becomes O again.

Movement in the great deep void vacuum infinity law. Space. Law.

Inside heavens water face.

G O D above keeps life below safe and saved. One word it was GOD.

A human theists scientific stated wisdom why no man is GOD.

Rome taught the Christ truth via updated English teaching.

Humans in England stated Rome supported the evil Jew Egyptian enslaver history as builders of technology.

English life re learnt the truth .....

Stonehenge became a monument only. It had in fact blown up at the site.

Why English WORD was GOD.

Is not any other language term....as they were the last sacrificed man historic.

Why England said it had become the new slave race by Roman Egyptian takeover technology of the past.

They had a spiritual order their selves.

Why it was English taught.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Why are you sending this to me?
The Jehovah’s Witnesses, of whom the poster is one, believe that the Jewish tradition regarding the tetragrammaton is a superstition that arose out of false manmade interpretation. They believe that the Jewish tradition is not only unnecessary, but that it is contrary to biblical teaching and insulting to G-d.

(If I have misstated the JW position I am sure I will be corrected.)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The Jehovah’s Witnesses, of whom the poster is one, believe that the Jewish tradition regarding the tetragrammaton is a superstition that arose out of false manmade interpretation. They believe that the Jewish tradition is not only unnecessary, but that it is contrary to biblical teaching and insulting to G-d.

(If I have misstated the JW position I am sure I will be corrected.)
Interesting, but I suspect that @IndigoChild5559 was suggesting that, for many, "Mark 7:6,7, KJV" is no more authoritative than some snippet from Shakespeare.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Interesting, but I suspect that @IndigoChild5559 was suggesting that, for many, "Mark 7:6,7, KJV" is no more authoritative than some snippet from Shakespeare.
There are two pieces to the puzzle, Watson. The first piece is the motivation of the poster with the AA Milner obsession who quoted Christian scripture to a Jew. The second piece is the parsing of that Jewish woman’s response. I suggest that with the Baskerville matter still confronting us, we simply observe the two and see how it plays out.

Now if you would be so kind to fetch my pipe, my violin and the needle - the one for my phonograph, vinyl’s back!

101G

God's Name? is that to "WHAT" he is vs "WHO" he is in Name. titles identify "WHAT" he is and not who he is. understand, titles are not who the person is in Name, but "WHAT" they are in name.

now, the personal Name of God as to "WHO" he is in Name is "JESUS".. for he is both LORD, and Lord in TIME, ORDER, PLACE, or RANK.

101`G.

muhammad_isa

41-416284_doh-homer-simpson-quotes-on-quotestopics-homer-simpson.png

IndigoChild5559

God's Name? is that to "WHAT" he is vs "WHO" he is in Name. titles identify "WHAT" he is and not who he is. understand, titles are not who the person is in Name, but "WHAT" they are in name.

now, the personal Name of God as to "WHO" he is in Name is "JESUS".. for he is both LORD, and Lord in TIME, ORDER, PLACE, or RANK.

101`G.
I used to have a cockatiel named Bird. The WHAT was that he was a bird. The WHO of his name was also bird.

I'd like to suggest that God, in addition to being a title, is also the defacto name of the God of Abraham in English.

This does not vanish the fact that this same God does have a specific name in the Bible -- spelled yad hey vav hey (YHWH).

101G

I used to have a cockatiel named Bird. The WHAT was that he was a bird. The WHO of his name was also bird.

I'd like to suggest that God, in addition to being a title, is also the defacto name of the God of Abraham in English.

This does not vanish the fact that this same God does have a specific name in the Bible -- spelled yad hey vav hey (YHWH).
that might work with cockatiel, but not with God.
101G

tigger2

Oh, I don't think God cares by what name we address him. He only cares that we DO talk to him.

“How long shall there be lies in the heart of the prophets who prophesy lies, and who prophesy the deceit of their own heart, who think to make my people forget my name by their dreams which they tell one another, even as their fathers forgot my name for Baal [‘Lord’]?” - Jer. 23:26-27, RSV. “Our fathers have inherited nought but lies, .... they shall know that my name is Jehovah.” - Jer. 16:19,21, ASV.

“God said further to Moses, You tell the Israelites: JEHOVAH ... has sent me to you. This is My name forever and by this I am to be remembered through all generations.” - Ex. 3:15, MLB (Cf. NEB, LB, ASV, KJIIV).

“Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek thy name, [O Jehovah - ASV] .... That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.” - Ps. 83:16, 18, KJV, LB.

“HALLELUJAH [‘Praise JEHOVAH’]! O servants of Jehovah, praise his name.
Blessed is his name forever and forever.” - Ps. 113:1, 2 - Living Bible.