• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's Israel in the new testament who is it *Romans 9:6-8

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Scripture is consistent all through scripture. The gospel and God's message does not change.

[Please provide a text we can’t understand and then provide the “explaining” text. ]
Shouldnt you be providing that? It seams like your having a hard time understanding things....
No, because I’m not the one making the claim that there are texts we can’t understand and corroborating “explaining” texts. You’ll have e to point them out if you believe they exist.

“Scripture is consistent?” Oh? Really! What about the two completely different genealogies in Matt and Lk? What about the two completely different creation myths? And those are just two.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Sure there is your just playing word games. There is no Hebrew word for Church in the bible it is a word only found in the new testament scriptures. The GREEK word ἐκκλησία; ekklēsia (G1577) means a calling out, a religious congregation Jewish synagogue, or Christian community: - assembly. JEUSUS says where two or three are gathered together there I am in the midst of them *MATTHEW 18:20. God's Church are therefore all those who believe and follow God's Word the same as the Hebrew word ISRAEAL is simply a name given by God to his people who are all those who believe and follow God's Word. They are the same as shown in the new testament scriptures that you choose to ignore..

here you go....

GALATIANS 3:28-29 [28], THERE IS NEITHER JEW NOR GREEK, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: FOR YOU ALL ONE IN CHRIST JESUS AND IF YOU BE CHRISTS, THEN YOU ARE ABRAHAM'S SEED FOR YOU ARE ALL ONE IN CHRIST JESUS [29], and IF YOU BE CHRISTS, THEN ARE YOU ABRAHAM'S SEED, AND HEIRS ACCORDING TO THE PROMISE.

EPHESIANS 2:11-13 [11], Why remember, that you being in TIME PAST Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;[12], That AT THAT TIME [in the Past] YOU WERE WITHOUT CHRIST, BEING ALIENS FROM THE COMMONWEALTH OF ISRAEL, STRANGERS FROM THE COVENANT OF PROMISE, HAVING NO HOPE, AND WITHOUT GOD IN THE WORLD: [13], BUT NOW IN CHRIST JESUS, YOU WHO WERE FAR OFF ARE MADE NEAR BY THE BLOOD OF CHRIST.

ROMANS 9:6-8 [6], Not as though the word of God has taken none effect. FOR THEY ARE NOT ALL ISRAEL, WHICH ARE OF ISRAEL: [7], NEITHER, BECAUSE THEY ARE THE SEED OF ABRAHAM, ARE THEY ALL CHILDREN: but, In Isaac shall your seed be called. [8], THAT IS, THEY WHICH ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE FLESH, THESE ARE NOT THE CHILDREN OF GOD: BUT THE CHILDREN OF THE PROMISE ARE COUNTED FOR THE SEED.

ROMANS 2:28-29 [28], FOR HE IS NOT A JEW WHICH IS ONE OUTWARDLY; NEITHER IS THAT CIRCUMCISION, WHICH IS OUTWARDS IN THE FLESH: [29], BUT HE IS A JEW WHICH IS ONE INWARDLY; and CIRCUMCISION IS OF THE HEART, IN THE SPIRIT, AND NOT IN THE LETTER; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

COLOSSIANS 3:11 [11], WHERE THERE IS NEITHER JEW NOR GREEK circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: BUT CHRIST IS ALL IN ALL.

ROMANS 10:11-13 [11], For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. [12], FOR THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN JEW OR GREEK: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. [13], FOR WHOSOEVER SHALL CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED.

Nonsense. Your posts have been addressed section by section. It is you who is not listening and ignoring the scripture contexts. ROMANS 9:3-4 was addressed in detail looking at all the CONTEXT you ignored in ROMANS 9:1-8. See post # 58 and post # 64 linked. Your ignoring the full context. The book of Romans is to GENTILE BELIEVERS and Paul is stating in v1-4 to Gentile beleivers that he has heaviness of heart because of those JEWS (his brothers and sisters) who did not believe JESUS was the promised Messiah v5-6 but then goes on to state to the Gentiles who God's true ISRAEL is...

ROMANS 9:6-8 [6], Not as though the word of God has taken none effect. FOR THEY ARE NOT ALL ISRAEL, WHICH ARE OF ISRAEL: [7], NEITHER, BECAUSE THEY ARE THE SEED OF ABRAHAM, ARE THEY ALL CHILDREN: but, In Isaac shall your seed be called. [8], THAT IS, THEY WHICH ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE FLESH, THESE ARE NOT THE CHILDREN OF GOD: BUT THE CHILDREN OF THE PROMISE ARE COUNTED FOR THE SEED.

The children of the promise are counted for the seed. That is God's true ISREAL in the new covenant and wheather JEW or GENTILE God's ISREAL are all those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's Word.

Hope this helps

No, I'm not playing games. There is no place in Scripture where it says the Church of Jesus Christ is Israel. The name of Israel is not given to all the believing. As I said before there were plenty of believers before Israel. Your manipulation of name of Israel and trying to tie it to the Church of Jesus Christ is lame.

I have already shown your error in interpreting the verses you list.

No, not nonsense. Who is Paul addressing in (Rom. 9:3-4)?

Why should it help? I have already showed your error concerning these verses.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Nonsense. It was said thinking you had read the OP and the scriptures in the linked posts provided. Obviously you have not even read the OP or the scriptures provided in the linked posts. I provided those scriptures in the very posts you are quoting from. I suggest you read the OP and the scriptures provided before commenting next time as it is helpful to a discussion to try and understand why people say what they do. "Wheather Jew or Gentile" = GALATIANS 3:28-29; COLOSSIANS 3:11; ROMANS 10:11-13

Repetition already addressed through the scriptures in the previous section (see previous post) showing that your just playing word games. There is no Hebrew word for Church in the bible it is a word only found in the GREEK new testament scriptures. The GREEK word ἐκκλησία; ekklēsia (G1577) means a calling out, a religious congregation Jewish synagogue, or Christian community: - assembly. JEUSUS says where two or three are gathered together there I am in the midst of them *MATTHEW 18:20. God's true Church are therefore are all those who believe and follow God's Word the same as the Hebrew word ISRAEAL is simply a name given by God to his people who believe and follow God's Word. They are the same as shown in the new testament scriptures that you choose to ignore (see GALATIANS 3:28-29; EPHESIANS 2:11-13; ROMANS 9:6-8; ROMANS 2:28-29; COLOSSIANS 3:11; ROMANS 10:11-13)

You are confused dear brother. All of God's Words are true. EZEKIEL 36:26-27; JEREMIAH 31:33-34 is the new covenant promise *HEBREWS 8:10-12; HEBREWS 10:14-20 fulfilled in Christ. Who circumcises our hearts through faith to love *ROMANS 2:28-29. My dear friend unless we are born again to love we cannot enter into God's Kingdom *JOHN 3:3-7. This is the difference between the children of God and the children of the devil *1 JOHN 3:6-10 and those who have a form of godliness but denys the power thereof *2 TIMOTHY 3:5.

It is this very promise that makes us a part of God's true ISRAEL...

GALATIANS 3:28-29 [28], THERE IS NEITHER JEW NOR GREEK, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: FOR YOU ALL ONE IN CHRIST JESUS AND IF YOU BE CHRISTS, THEN YOU ARE ABRAHAM'S SEED FOR YOU ARE ALL ONE IN CHRIST JESUS [29], and IF YOU BE CHRISTS, THEN ARE YOU ABRAHAM'S SEED, AND HEIRS ACCORDING TO THE PROMISE.

EPHESIANS 2:11-13 [11], Why remember, that you being in TIME PAST Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;[12], That AT THAT TIME [in the Past] YOU WERE WITHOUT CHRIST, BEING ALIENS FROM THE COMMONWEALTH OF ISRAEL, STRANGERS FROM THE COVENANT OF PROMISE, HAVING NO HOPE, AND WITHOUT GOD IN THE WORLD: [13], BUT NOW IN CHRIST JESUS, YOU WHO WERE FAR OFF ARE MADE NEAR BY THE BLOOD OF CHRIST.

This is God's new covenant promise. To be born again with a new heart to love through faith to those who believe and follow God's Word. EZEKIEL 36:26-27; JEREMIAH 31:33-34 is the new covenant promise *HEBREWS 8:10-12; HEBREWS 10:14-20 fulfilled in Christ today to all those who believe. This is the Gospel of God's Love in those who are born again.

Hope this helps

No, not nonsense. See post #(64). You added your interpretation in saying 'that is God's Israel whether Jew or Gentile'. And the verses you present I have already showed you where you are in error.

No, I'm not playing word games. The verses you tried to use and prove that the Church is Israel, did not say that, as I explained.

No, I'm not confused. And I never said the words of (Jeremiah) and (Ezekiel) were not true. I said as far as the nation of Israel is concerned they are for a future day. Just because the Church is at this time enjoying the blessings of the New Covenant doesn't mean the Church is Israel.

Your constant repetition of the same set of verses doesn't change their meaning. They do not make the Church Israel.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

So a JEW is not a part of ISRAEL in your view? The scripture actually says there is no more JEWS and Gentiles they are all one in Christ

COLOSSIANS 3:11 [11], WHERE THERE IS NEITHER JEW NOR GREEK circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: BUT CHRIST IS ALL IN ALL.

This is because Gentiles are now grafted in *ROMANS 11:13-27.

Sure it does. It shows we are all saved wheather JEW or GENTILE in exactly the same way and we are all a part of the same Church body (ISRAEL). The scripture says... ROMANS 10:11-13 [11], For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. [12], FOR THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN JEW OR GREEK: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. [13], FOR WHOSOEVER SHALL CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED.

Yet you have failed to do anything you have claimed here. Perhaps its time to go back and think about what you believe as it seems to me you do not even know what the new covenant promise is to all those who believe and follow God's Word. If our eyes are not open we cannot see the Garden of Eden or the paradise of God. Sin closes our eyes and makes us blind but seeking Jesus can open the blind eyes to see and the deaf to hear. JESUS says Truly, truly, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. I say unto you, except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind blows where it wants, and you hear the sound thereof, but cannot tell where it comes, and where it goes: so is every one that is born of the Spirit *JOHN 3:3-7. Whosoever is born of God does not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever does not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loves not his brother *1 JOHN 3:6-10.

May you receive this post in the Spirit it was given and may you receive God's Word and be blessed.

The believing Jew today is part of the Church which consists of both Jew and Gentile.

No, the method of salvation being the same for both Jew and Greek does not make them part of Israel. At this time, it makes both part of the Church. As I said, you have just backwards.

Giving a nice speech doesn't make the Church Israel either.

Good-Ole-Rebel

3rdAngel

No, I'm not playing games. There is no place in Scripture where it says the Church of Jesus Christ is Israel. The name of Israel is not given to all the believing. As I said before there were plenty of believers before Israel. Your manipulation of name of Israel and trying to tie it to the Church of Jesus Christ is lame.

I have already shown your error in interpreting the verses you list.

No, not nonsense. Who is Paul addressing in (Rom. 9:3-4)?

Why should it help? I have already showed your error concerning these verses.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Sure you are. Your simply ignoring all the scriptures in the posts shared with you and not addressing the content of the posts you are quoting from that shows why you are in error. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Let me know when your serious about discussing the scriptures and we will talk again. Even in the very post you are quoting from here you have not addressed any of the scriptuers in it. All you have said is that you do not believe them without showing why. Anyhow I will leave if between you and God as they are God's Words not mine so we will have to agree to disagree. All your doing now is simply repeating yourself and ignoring the posts and scriptures provided that show why you are in error.

3rdAngel

No, not nonsense. See post #(64). You added your interpretation in saying 'that is God's Israel whether Jew or Gentile'. And the verses you present I have already showed you where you are in error.

Nonesense indeed. Why are you making false claims with intention to deceive once I have already given you clarification to what I said earlier in post # 68? It was said thinking you had read the OP and the scriptures in the linked posts provided. Obviously you have not even read the OP or the scriptures provided in the linked posts. I provided those scriptures in the very posts you are quoting from. I suggest you read the OP and the scriptures provided before commenting next time as it is helpful to a discussion to try and understand why people say what they do. "Wheather Jew or Gentile" = GALATIANS 3:28-29; COLOSSIANS 3:11; ROMANS 10:11-13

You have provided nothing to show that the scriptures presented are in error except to state you do not believe the scriptures provided despite being shown the context that you reject.

No, I'm not playing word games. The verses you tried to use and prove that the Church is Israel, did not say that, as I explained.

Sure you are indeed playing word games. All your providing is repitition which has already been addressed through the scriptures in the previous post showing that your just playing word games. There is no Hebrew word for Church in the bible it is a word only found in the GREEK new testament scriptures. The GREEK word ἐκκλησία; ekklēsia (G1577) means a calling out, a religious congregation Jewish synagogue, or Christian community: - assembly. JEUSUS says where two or three are gathered together there I am in the midst of them *MATTHEW 18:20. God's true Church are therefore are all those who believe and follow God's Word the same as the Hebrew word ISRAEAL is simply a name given by God to his people who believe and follow God's Word. They are the same as shown in the new testament scriptures that you choose to ignore (see GALATIANS 3:28-29; EPHESIANS 2:11-13; ROMANS 9:6-8; ROMANS 2:28-29; COLOSSIANS 3:11; ROMANS 10:11-13)

No, I'm not confused. And I never said the words of (Jeremiah) and (Ezekiel) were not true. I said as far as the nation of Israel is concerned they are for a future day. Just because the Church is at this time enjoying the blessings of the New Covenant doesn't mean the Church is Israel.

You indeed are confused and I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one. There is no future date for the nation of ISRAEL as God's ISRAEL as shown through the scriptures are only those who believe and follow God's Word. There is no more JEW or Gentile we are all one in Christ. *COLODSSIANS 3:11. All your doing is repeating yourself brother so we will have to agree to disagree. Only God's Word is true and we should believe and follow it.

Thanks for sharing your view but your view is not mine. I believe only God's Word is true and we should believe and follow it.

Last edited:

3rdAngel

The believing Jew today is part of the Church which consists of both Jew and Gentile.

No, the method of salvation being the same for both Jew and Greek does not make them part of Israel. At this time, it makes both part of the Church. As I said, you have just backwards.

Giving a nice speech doesn't make the Church Israel either.

Good-Ole-Rebel

As posted earlier your confused. Perhaps you need to spend some more time studying the scrriptures in detail from the old and new testament. God's Church has always been ISRAEL as shown through the scriptures....

1. What is the origin of the name of Israel and what does it mean?
2. Who are those identified as God's Israel in the new covenant?
3. Are gentiles grafted in to God's Israel?
4. What about the nation of Israel?
5. What about the Sabbath and Israel?

May you receive God's Word and be blessed. Ignoring it does not make it disappear.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Sure you are. Your simply ignoring all the scriptures in the posts shared with you and not addressing the content of the posts you are quoting from that shows why you are in error. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Let me know when your serious about discussing the scriptures and we will talk again. Even in the very post you are quoting from here you have not addressed any of the scriptuers in it. All you have said is that you do not believe them without showing why. Anyhow I will leave if between you and God as they are God's Words not mine so we will have to agree to disagree. All your doing now is simply repeating yourself and ignoring the posts and scriptures provided that show why you are in error.

Who is Paul addressing in (Rom. 9:3-4)? "...my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: Who are Israelites...."

Good-Ole-Rebel

Last edited:

Good-Ole-Rebel

Nonesense indeed. Why are you making false claims with intention to deceive once I have already given you clarification to what I said earlier in post # 68? It was said thinking you had read the OP and the scriptures in the linked posts provided. Obviously you have not even read the OP or the scriptures provided in the linked posts. I provided those scriptures in the very posts you are quoting from. I suggest you read the OP and the scriptures provided before commenting next time as it is helpful to a discussion to try and understand why people say what they do. "Wheather Jew or Gentile" = GALATIANS 3:28-29; COLOSSIANS 3:11; ROMANS 10:11-13

You have provided nothing to show that the scriptures presented are in error except to state you do not believe the scriptures provided despite being shown the context that you reject.

Sure you are indeed playing word games. All your providing is repitition which has already been addressed through the scriptures in the previous post showing that your just playing word games. There is no Hebrew word for Church in the bible it is a word only found in the GREEK new testament scriptures. The GREEK word ἐκκλησία; ekklēsia (G1577) means a calling out, a religious congregation Jewish synagogue, or Christian community: - assembly. JEUSUS says where two or three are gathered together there I am in the midst of them *MATTHEW 18:20. God's true Church are therefore are all those who believe and follow God's Word the same as the Hebrew word ISRAEAL is simply a name given by God to his people who believe and follow God's Word. They are the same as shown in the new testament scriptures that you choose to ignore (see GALATIANS 3:28-29; EPHESIANS 2:11-13; ROMANS 9:6-8; ROMANS 2:28-29; COLOSSIANS 3:11; ROMANS 10:11-13)

You indeed are confused and I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one. There is no future date for the nation of ISRAEL as God's ISRAEL as shown through the scriptures are only those who believe and follow God's Word. There is no more JEW or Gentile we are all one in Christ. *COLODSSIANS 3:11. All your doing is repeating yourself brother so we will have to agree to disagree. Only God's Word is true and we should believe and follow it.

Thanks for sharing your view but your view is not mine. I believe only God's Word is true and we should believe and follow it.

The Scriptures you presented are not in error. Your attempt to make them say that the Church is Israel is the error, as they do not say that.

Who is Paul addressing in (Rom. 9:3-4)? "...my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: Who are Israelites;...."

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

As posted earlier your confused. Perhaps you need to spend some more time studying the scrriptures in detail from the old and new testament. God's Church has always been ISRAEL as shown through the scriptures....

1. What is the origin of the name of Israel and what does it mean?
2. Who are those identified as God's Israel in the new covenant?
3. Are gentiles grafted in to God's Israel?
4. What about the nation of Israel?
5. What about the Sabbath and Israel?

May you receive God's Word and be blessed. Ignoring it does not make it disappear.

Why do you say I ignore when I addressed all 5 of your points in post #(53)?

The Church of Jesus Christ has never been Israel. And, it will never be Israel.

Who is Paul addressing in (Rom. 9:3-4)? "...my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: Who are Israelites;...."

Good-Ole-Rebel

3rdAngel

Who is Paul addressing in (Rom. 9:3-4)? "...my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: Who are Israelites...."Good-Ole-Rebel

The book of Romans is to GENTILE BELIEVERS and Paul is stating in v1-4 to Gentile beleivers that he has heaviness of heart because of those JEWS (his brothers and sisters) who did not believe JESUS was the promised Messiah v5-6 but then goes on to state to the Gentiles who God's true ISRAEL is...

The children of the promise are counted for the seed. That is God's true ISREAL in the new covenant and wheather JEW or GENTILE God's ISREAL are all those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's Word.

Your not listening and leaving out context.

Hope this helps...

3rdAngel

The Scriptures you presented are not in error. Your attempt to make them say that the Church is Israel is the error, as they do not say that.
Who is Paul addressing in (Rom. 9:3-4)? "...my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: Who are Israelites;...."Good-Ole-Rebel

Nope the scriptures are fine and I did not attempt to make them say anything as they speak for themselves. It is you who is in error. See pervious post, your just repeating yourself.

3rdAngel

Why do you say I ignore when I addressed all 5 of your points in post #(53)?

The Church of Jesus Christ has never been Israel. And, it will never be Israel.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Because you addressed nothing in the OP and what you provide leaves out context. See pervious posts. Your just repeating yourself again.
The book of Romans is to GENTILE BELIEVERS and Paul is stating in v1-4 to Gentile beleivers that he has heaviness of heart because of those JEWS (his brothers and sisters) who did not believe JESUS was the promised Messiah v5-6 but then goes on to state to the Gentiles who God's true ISRAEL is...

Hope this helps...

Good-Ole-Rebel

Hope this helps...

You didn't answer the question. (Rom. 9:1-4) establishes the context.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Nope the scriptures are fine and I did not attempt to make them say anything as they speak for themselves. It is you who is in error. See pervious post, your just repeating yourself.

I am repeating the question because you don't answer it. Please answer it. Who is Paul addressing in (Rom. 9:3-4)? "...my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: Who are Israelites....."

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Because you addressed nothing in the OP and what you provide leaves out context. See pervious posts. Your just repeating yourself again.

Hope this helps...

Why can't you answer the question. Who is Paul addressing in (Rom. 9:3-4)? "...my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: Who are Israelites...."

Good-Ole-Rebel

3rdAngel

You didn't answer the question. (Rom. 9:1-4) establishes the context.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Nonsense. Your not reading what your quoting from...

Hope this helps...

3rdAngel

I am repeating the question because you don't answer it. Please answer it. Who is Paul addressing in (Rom. 9:3-4)? "...my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: Who are Israelites....."

Good-Ole-Rebel

No your ignoring the answer that show the context you have left out because it does not agree with you.

Hope this helps...

3rdAngel

Why can't you answer the question. Who is Paul addressing in (Rom. 9:3-4)? "...my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: Who are Israelites...."

Good-Ole-Rebel

All ready answered in the post you are quoting from I suggest you read it...

Romans 9 is addressing GENTILE BELIEVERS and Paul is stating in v1-4 to Gentile beleivers that he has heaviness of heart because of those JEWS (his brothers and sisters) who did not believe JESUS was the promised Messiah v5-6 but then goes on to state to the Gentiles who God's true ISRAEL is...

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

Good-Ole-Rebel

Nonsense. Your not reading what your quoting from...

Hope this helps...

Answer the question. Your inability, refusal, to answer proves your wrong. (Rom. 9:3-4) establishes the context of the Israel Paul is addressing.

So, please answer. Who is Paul addressing in (Rom. 9:3-4)? "...my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: Who are Israelites...."

Good-Ole-Rebel