• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gods Greatest Desire?

Furchizedek

BUT GOD JUST TOLD YOU HE CREATED EVIL!!! Aren't you listening??

Isaiah 45:7
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

I............create evil.

The bible is wrong. God does not create evil. This is one of the many blasphemies against God in the bible.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But i want to know the real, true God even if that God isnt Abrahamic.
God is not identified with any one religion, God is the God of all religions.
However, God is most accurately depicted in the most current of the Abrahamic religions.
You were pretty close in your OP. :)

InChrist

Free4ever
So if I reject the good valvestemmer for my engine then I would be getting an evil valvestemmer instead?

No, if you reject a good working valvestemmer for your engine, it means your engine won't work and properly and will be damaged..

Skwim

Veteran Member
The bible is wrong. God does not create evil. This is one of the many blasphemies against God in the bible.
So god didn't put this in the Bible? If not who did, and what other mistakes do you suppose are floating around in the Bible misleading the needful Christian and Jew?

Skwim

Veteran Member
No, if you reject a good working valvestemmer for your engine, it means your engine won't work and properly and will be damaged..
yahoo-animated-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif
Yeah, that was a throwaway, which is obviously not relevant, but I note that you avoided addressing my second example, which is only slightly better, and particularly my third example, which is very relevant.

2. That if I wrote a bad (non-good) piece of music, I would have written an evil piece of music?

3. That choosing not to give 300 dollars to the beggar on the corner, which would be a good thing to do, would be evil? Really?
Tell you what, forget about my second example and just address the third; that choosing not to give 300 dollars to the beggar on the corner is evil.

Furchizedek

So god didn't put this in the Bible? If not who did, and what other mistakes do you suppose are floating around in the Bible misleading the needful Christian and Jew?

No, God didn't put that in the bible. Contrary to what bibliolators say, God did not write the bible. The bible is the work of men. Essentially the only "words of God" in the bible are from Jesus, and then only to the degree that we can be sure He said them, which is problematical since they weren't written down until decades after He lived, and they were written down from memory and hearsay and then were altered by scribes and wars and floods and moths, etc.

Furchizedek

The idea that to be a Christian you have to “believe in the Bible” (meaning, believe that it is in some sense infallible) is a modern invention. Church historians have traced the view, rather precisely, to the Niagara Conference on the Bible, in the 1870s, held over a number of years to foster belief in the Bible in opposition to liberal theologians who were accepting the results of historical scholarship. In 1878 the conference summarized the true faith in a series of fourteen statements. The very first one — to be believed above all else — was not belief in God, or in the death and resurrection of Jesus. It was belief in the Bible …

To make faith in the Bible the most important tenet of Christianity was a radical shift in thinking — away, for example, from traditional statements of faith such as the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed, which say not a word about belief in the Bible.

Throughout most of history most Christian thinkers would have seen this view as theological nonsense. Or blasphemy. The Bible was never to be an object of faith. God through Christ was. Being a Christian meant believing in Christ, not believing in the Bible. -Bart Ehrman, bible scholar.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
No, God didn't put that in the bible. Contrary to what bibliolators say, God did not write the bible. The bible is the work of men. Essentially the only "words of God" in the bible are from Jesus, and then only to the degree that we can be sure He said them, which is problematical since they weren't written down until decades after He lived, and they were written down from memory and hearsay and then were altered by scribes and wars and floods and moths, etc.

So underneath all the human muck, theres a Jesus far and drastically different than the one we hear of today?

Skwim

Veteran Member
So, these "words of God" in the bible from Jesus, aren't much more trustworthy than any of the other words in the Bible. Now that's something I can agree with.

InChrist

Free4ever
yahoo-animated-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif
Yeah, that was a throwaway, which is obviously not relevant, but I note that you avoided addressing my second example, which is only slightly better, and particularly my third example, which is very relevant.

2. That if I wrote a bad (non-good) piece of music, I would have written an evil piece of music?

3. That choosing not to give 300 dollars to the beggar on the corner, which would be a good thing to do, would be evil? Really?
Tell you what, forget about my second example and just address the third; that choosing not to give 300 dollars to the beggar on the corner is evil.

First, I think your questions or the examples you are using are not quite on topic. Music for instance I don't think is necessarily classified as "good or evil", maybe it may inspire someone towards good or evil, but the music itself I don't think is inherently good or evil. Your last example may possibly relate to a good or evil choice, but there are too many unknowns. For one thing, if the beggar uses the money for drugs or alcohol which only serve to damage the person's health and life then giving 300 hundred dollars would not be a good or beneficial thing to do, would it? Yet, if the money would truly help the beggar something along the lines of the good Samaritan (Luke 10:30-36) in the account given by Jesus, then certainly such behavior would be considered showing love and goodness to one's neighbor and according to the scriptures not to love one's neighbor would be sin. Nevertheless, as I said each situation is different, requires wisdom and discernment, and right motives. Some people may give out money just to make themselves feel good or to take pride and brag about how good and generous they are, which actually would not be sincerely good at all.

Last edited:

Furchizedek

So, these "words of God" in the bible from Jesus, aren't much more trustworthy than any of the other words in the Bible. Now that's something I can agree with.

That's probably true too. A few years back a group called "The Jesus Seminar" attempted to discern from the bible what Jesus actually said. But they ended up with a flawed report. And I want to take this opportunity :yum: to put in a plug for The Urantia Book, Part IV of which is "The Life and Teachings of Jesus," which claims to be from the celestial records, the records that God's angels and other agents keep of God's doings on earth. That is to say, Part IV is the expanded and corrected version of Jesus' life. It's the last 700 pages of the book and contains pretty much everything. Part IV, printed separately from the larger Urantia Book can be gotten at Amazon or any bookstore, the title is "Jesus, A New Revelation." It contains the identical text as the last same pages in The Urantia Book. Is your name, "Skwim" a take-off on the town by Port Angeles, WA?

Skwim

Veteran Member
That's probably true too. A few years back a group called "The Jesus Seminar" attempted to discern from the bible what Jesus actually said. But they ended up with a flawed report. And I want to take this opportunity :yum: to put in a plug for The Urantia Book, Part IV of which is "The Life and Teachings of Jesus," which claims to be from the celestial records, the records that God's angels and other agents keep of God's doings on earth. That is to say, Part IV is the expanded and corrected version of Jesus' life.
And you think it's the corrected version because___________________________________________.

Is your name, "Skwim" a take-off on the town by Port Angeles, WA?
No, but you're the second one to ask about the name. The other occurred several years ago when I was ask if it was an alternate spelling of a town in Washington. Curious, I looked it up and found it's spelled with a "q."

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The more i live, the more i realize not to walk through life religiously, not to go on feelings, and sensations as meaningful as they can be. I am put off by mankinds attempts at God and the divine.

Instead its always best to live by a good, clean conscience, and pursue God alone, just between God and self.

I'll find God, not in feelings, nor conscience alone, but by understanding and by seeking God as the utmost priority.

I dont think i'll have to accept a fine, rigid line of doctrine, nor do i have to know all of human history.

I wont have to exert major belief efforts.

I think instead i will just be myself, and accept my human limitations, flaws, strengths, and weaknesses, and errors.

Yanno, just meet God as i truly am with every fault and error.

Since God is trustworthy, i will strike up a private friendship with God.

The heart is willing but i dont feel the need to call in all the human experts.

I dont feel i have to save myself, nor be the Great Messenger to the whole world.

God can work out the worlds problems. I dont have to.

As the song goes, ' im only human, flesh, blood, a man.'

Furchizedek

And you think it's the corrected version because___________________________________________.

Because I said so. LOL.

On another forum the Catholic there was fond of saying, "There is no salvation outside of the Catholic church." And if you asked, "You think that is true because....." He would say, "Because the Catholic church says so and that ought to be good enough." (That's a direct quote.)

But seriously, you'd have to read it to believe it and ascertain for yourself if it's the corrected version or not. That's our unofficial motto, by the way: You have to read it to believe it." We're not selling anyone on anything. It's up to you. You have to sell yourself. The Christians sell, push, cajole, intimidate, threaten, pressure, insist, brow-beat, and fear monger. We don't do that. Here's a good one from the aforementioned Catholic:

"I can prove that Mary is the Queen of Heaven. The Catholic Church says so, and the Church is infallible about things like this."

No, but you're the second one to ask about the name. The other occurred several years ago when I was ask if it was an alternate spelling of a town in Washington. Curious, I looked it up and found it's spelled with a "q."

That might have been me too. It seemed like de ja vu when I asked earlier today. I joined in Feb of '15 but then got distracted and didn't post much here. That one is spelled SEQUIM. I donno how they get SKWIM sound out of that but that's how they pronounce it. Must be a Native American word.

Furchizedek

The more i live, the more i realize not to walk through life religiously, not to go on feelings, and sensations as meaningful as they can be. I am put off by mankinds attempts at God and the divine.

Instead its always best to live by a good, clean conscience, and pursue God alone, just between God and self.

I'll find God, not in feelings, nor conscience alone, but by understanding and by seeking God as the utmost priority.

I dont think i'll have to accept a fine, rigid line of doctrine, nor do i have to know all of human history.

I wont have to exert major belief efforts.

I think instead i will just be myself, and accept my human limitations, flaws, strengths, and weaknesses, and errors.

Yanno, just meet God as i truly am with every fault and error.

Since God is trustworthy, i will strike up a private friendship with God.

The heart is willing but i dont feel the need to call in all the human experts.

I dont feel i have to save myself, nor be the Great Messenger to the whole world.

God can work out the worlds problems. I dont have to.

As the song goes, ' im only human, flesh, blood, a man.'

I think that's quite a good post, Osgart.

Here is something from The Urantia Book that I think dove-tails with what you just said:

99:5.7 Just as certainly as men share their religious beliefs, they create a religious group of some sort which eventually creates common goals. Someday religionists will get together and actually effect co-operation on the basis of unity of ideals and purposes rather than attempting to do so on the basis of psychological opinions and theological beliefs. Goals rather than creeds should unify religionists. Since true religion is a matter of personal spiritual experience, it is inevitable that each individual religionist must have his own and personal interpretation of the realization of that spiritual experience. Let the term “faith” stand for the individual’s relation to God rather than for the creedal formulation of what some group of mortals have been able to agree upon as a common religious attitude. “Have you faith? Then have it to yourself.”

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I think that's quite a good post, Osgart.

Here is something from The Urantia Book that I think dove-tails with what you just said:

99:5.7 Just as certainly as men share their religious beliefs, they create a religious group of some sort which eventually creates common goals. Someday religionists will get together and actually effect co-operation on the basis of unity of ideals and purposes rather than attempting to do so on the basis of psychological opinions and theological beliefs. Goals rather than creeds should unify religionists. Since true religion is a matter of personal spiritual experience, it is inevitable that each individual religionist must have his own and personal interpretation of the realization of that spiritual experience. Let the term “faith” stand for the individual’s relation to God rather than for the creedal formulation of what some group of mortals have been able to agree upon as a common religious attitude. “Have you faith? Then have it to yourself.”

A fellow Urantian! I was beginning to think they didn't exist. Welcome to the jungle.