• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's Grace; a Reasonable Construct or not?

Skwim

Veteran Member
This is the introductory explanation of god's grace as it appears in wikipedia

"In Western Christian theology, grace has been defined, not as a created substance of any kind, but as "the love and mercy given to us by God because God desires us to have it, not because of anything we have done to earn it", "the condescension or benevolence shown by God toward the human race". It is understood by Christians to be a spontaneous gift from God to man - "generous, free and totally unexpected and undeserved" - that takes the form of divine favor, love, clemency, and a share in the divine life of God."
So, as I understand the Christian notion of god's grace, it's an unmerited favor. A kindness from God one doesn't deserve. But at the basis of this undeservedness are those human acts god has deemed to be sinful (I'm presuming that without sinfulness grace would be unneeded). Should we commit these acts, then we are bound to their repercussions, which at its most dire is said to be exclusion from heaven.

However, this isn't really the way it works at all because god decided that such a repercussion is really null and void. This not getting into heaven isn't really a true consequence because god is letting everyone in---something called his Act of Grace.

To explain . . . .

The Wikipedia qualification of grace above notwithstanding, I've heard some say that one must earn such grace. God isn't going to grant everyone absolution from their sins, just those who deserve it by doing X, Y, and Z. But does this really amount to grace? Not if grace is defined as "A kindness from God one doesn't deserve." But how else would god single out you, rather than me, for his grace if it isn't based on some particular meritorious act or characteristic you posse and I don't? OR is his grace simply a random act of kindness, leaving me with just as much of a chance for his grace as you? which is in line with the above definition of grace: an unmerited favor.

So, if god's grace is not predicated on individual merit, and not a random selection, then why wouldn't everyone be in line for it? Grace only has meaning where there's an actual possibility of not attaining his favor, which is commonly considered to be heaven; however, this doesn't seem to be the case at all. In effect, all god has done is to say "Don't pay any attention to my assertion that hell is a possible alternative to heaven, because it's not. Everyone's going heaven."

Of course, if my understanding of god's grace is mistaken here, I welcome any correction.

Last edited:
At least God was graceful enough to let you make that post lol.

On a more serious note. Your post reminded me of a radical branch of Christianity that believe the more you sin, the more you would receive of God's grace or mercy. So to their understanding the more they sin the closer to God they become. Now I could be wrong, but I think Rasputin was part of this branch.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The christianity of unmerited favor is based on repentance, faith and belief alone for salvation. Breaking one commandment is deserving of hell whereas once you have sinned, one can never earn grace again, and instead must rely on Jesus' victory over death and hell for the sinner. Good works after salvation earn nothing of salvation, but are merely the fruits of true salvation. Faithful good works do have a future reward, but reward is not the motive for doing them rather good works are done out of love for Jesus, and the desire to see others get saved.

That is the christianity from the independent born again baptist church.

Psalms says humanity is born sinful according to the kjv 1611.

Jumi

Grace is like luck. You can do everything to avoid receiving either, but you can't get it through merit. This from a non-Christian perspective.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
This is the introductory explanation of god's grace as it appears in wikipedia

"In Western Christian theology, grace has been defined, not as a created substance of any kind, but as "the love and mercy given to us by God because God desires us to have it, not because of anything we have done to earn it", "the condescension or benevolence shown by God toward the human race". It is understood by Christians to be a spontaneous gift from God to man - "generous, free and totally unexpected and undeserved" - that takes the form of divine favor, love, clemency, and a share in the divine life of God."
So, as I understand the Christian notion of god's grace, it's an unmerited favor. A kindness from God one doesn't deserve. But at the basis of this undeservedness are those human acts god has deemed to be sinful (I'm presuming that without sinfulness grace would be unneeded). Should we commit these acts, then we are bound to their repercussions, which at its most dire is said to be exclusion from heaven.

However, this isn't really the way it works at all because god decided that such a repercussion is really null and void. This not getting into heaven isn't really a true consequence because god is letting everyone in---something called his Act of Grace.

To explain . . . .

The Wikipedia qualification of grace above notwithstanding, I've heard some say that one must earn such grace. God isn't going to grant everyone absolution from their sins, just those who deserve it by doing X, Y, and Z. But does this really amount to grace? Not if grace is defined as "A kindness from God one doesn't deserve." But how else would god single out you, rather than me, for his grace if it isn't based on some particular meritorious act or characteristic you posse and I don't? OR is his grace simply a random act of kindness, leaving me with just as much of a chance for his grace as you? which is in line with the above definition of grace: an unmerited favor.

So, if god's grace is not predicated on individual merit, and not a random selection, then why wouldn't everyone be in line for it? Grace only has meaning where there's an actual possibility of not attaining his favor, which is commonly considered to be heaven; however, this doesn't seem to be the case at all. In effect, all god has done is to say "Don't pay any attention to my assertion that hell is a possible alternative to heaven, because it's not. Everyone's going heaven."

Of course, if my understanding of god's grace is mistaken here, I welcome any correction.
In this context grace (positive case) is defined as receiving that which you do not deserve as opposed to mercy (negative case) which is to not receive that which we do deserve.