• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's glory in Exodus 33:18

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
What do you guys think? Apparently the term glory is not correct. Listen to this Italian philologist. Click on the subtitles button CC

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you guys think? Apparently the term glory is not correct. Listen to this Italian philologist. Click on the subtitles button CC

There is another difference. The English translations do not say Moses gets sunburn. Instead they say that Moses face begins to glow with light and that he covers his face to hide that light. Later when his face ceases glowing the people do not know it, because his face remains veiled. I have never heard of it described as a sunburn, but it is an appealing idea.

The suggested translation in the video is 'Flying chariot'. Maybe? I have my own ideas about glory, mostly based on things said in Christian canon. I think glory is a creative, a dangerous creative power which creates reality; and getting close to it is impossible. You could think of it as a transforming power the same way that light transforms a room or that trees transform a field. Its a good thing in the same way that a fanblade is good but not a good place to stick your fingers in. To me these loosely work with the chariot image, too; since it carries the gods. The gods are this chaotic and wild power and the founding principles of reality. They are the essence of truth and being.

I also like that this is yet one more way that the story counters Egyptian mythology 180 degrees. In Egyptian myth the chariot of the gods rides across the sky. It doesn't ever come down to meet with anyone not even a pharoah, but it meets with Moses the Hebrew.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Hi Estro,

The video is a little convoluted, I'm sorry to say. That said, regarding the word Kavod: My vote? the word "Glory" fits, I suppose. I don't think it's incorrect. My understanding of the concept of Kavod is more esoteric; it's not a physical object as proposed in the video.

When I think about Kavod, the first thing that comes to mind is Isaiah 6:3: "... the whole world is filled with [The Lord of Hosts'] Kavod". Kavod is a function of God operating as the Lord of Hosts. Hosts is a military term, I think. And maybe this is why Glory is used in the translation of the word. "Glory" in english also has a military connotation.

Kavod is what happens when the infinite innumerable angels ( The Hosts ) charge out from God completing their orders in immediate perfect harmony with the Will of God. It's the action of "charging out" that most connects with the word Kavod for me. I understand Kavod as an action, not as a physical object. It's energetic ( for lack of a better word ).