• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's Distaste For Premarial Sex AND Why Is Song Of Solomon In The Bible?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Your ethnocentrism is astounding.
So, in as much as there was no such a thing as premarital sex in the good old days of ancient Israel, god was just wasting his breath when he condemned it. Too bad someone didn't clue god in to what wasn't going on.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
So, in as much as there was no such a thing as premarital sex in the good old days of ancient Israel, god was just wasting his breath when he condemned it. Too bad someone didn't clue god in to what wasn't going on.

As Jesus said :D "Be it unto you according as you have believed."

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Actually, in Levicus 18, where we have all the sexual prohibitions, premarital sex is never mentioned. Because it didn't exist.

You do have sexual immorality in general mentioned in other places, which included everything. The ideal was sex between a married man and his wife / wives. Today, because we DO have premarital sex (having sex does NOT make you automatically married) this would be outside the ideal and therefore come under the law prohibiting sexual immorality, even though it was not originally indicated.

Many Christians today have tried to use the lack of mention of premarital sex in Leviticus 18 as proof that premarital sex is permitted. However, they neglect to consider that it falls short of what was allowed, as I have just explained, or WHY it was not included.

Got it now?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Actually, in Levicus 18, where we have all the sexual prohibitions, premarital sex is never mentioned. Because it didn't exist.
More silliness of course. Fact is, a lot of Christians have gone out of their way to assemble evidence and create web sites that address this very issue. Here is just one of them. From Core Christianity.

"Does the Bible teach that sex before marriage is a sin? A lot of people aren’t sure. This is because we live in a world of tweets and quick soundbites where people rarely have enough time for context.
Where exactly does the Bible call sex before marriage a sin?

1. 1 Corinthians 7:2
“But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.”
2. Hebrews 13:4
“Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.”
3. Acts 15:19-20
“Therefore my judgment is that we should not trouble those of the Gentiles who turn to God, but should write to them to abstain from the things polluted by idols, and from sexual immorality....”
4. 1 Corinthians 5:1
“It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife.” (See also, Ephesians 5:3)
5. Galatians 5:19-21
“Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” (See also Colossians 3:5)
6. 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5
“For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God….”
7. 1 Corinthians 7:8-9
“To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single, as I am. But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.”
8. Genesis 2:24-25
“Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.”
9. 1 Corinthians 6:18-20
“Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”

If you've had sex before marriage, all hope is not lost. God is more than able to forgive you of all of your sins—even the sin of having sex before or outside of marriage.
source

Now, believe it or not, but a lot of Christians are, in effect, saying you're wrong. God does condemn premarital sex; however, you have nothing to fear and can rest easy because, as it says above, "God is more than able to forgive you of all of your sins—even the sin of having sex before or outside of marriage." In fact, if I'm not mistaken, you can even continue to have premarital sex, and without fear. :thumbsup:

Shad

Veteran Member
Thank you! And may you have a prosperous and Happy New Year.

I hope you had/have one as well.

Just to clarify I understood your point based as it is blatantly obvious for anyone with a very basic understanding of the Bible and history. Something else is at play for people to miss this.

IndigoChild5559

More silliness of course. Fact is, a lot of Christians have gone out of their way to assemble evidence and create web sites that address this very issue. Here is just one of them. From Core Christianity.

"Does the Bible teach that sex before marriage is a sin? A lot of people aren’t sure. This is because we live in a world of tweets and quick soundbites where people rarely have enough time for context.
Where exactly does the Bible call sex before marriage a sin?

1. 1 Corinthians 7:2
“But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.”
2. Hebrews 13:4
“Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.”
3. Acts 15:19-20
“Therefore my judgment is that we should not trouble those of the Gentiles who turn to God, but should write to them to abstain from the things polluted by idols, and from sexual immorality....”
4. 1 Corinthians 5:1
“It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife.” (See also, Ephesians 5:3)
5. Galatians 5:19-21
“Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” (See also Colossians 3:5)
6. 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5
“For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God….”
7. 1 Corinthians 7:8-9
“To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single, as I am. But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.”
8. Genesis 2:24-25
“Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.”
9. 1 Corinthians 6:18-20
“Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”

If you've had sex before marriage, all hope is not lost. God is more than able to forgive you of all of your sins—even the sin of having sex before or outside of marriage.
source

Now, believe it or not, but a lot of Christians are, in effect, saying you're wrong. God does condemn premarital sex; however, you have nothing to fear and can rest easy because, as it says above, "God is more than able to forgive you of all of your sins—even the sin of having sex before or outside of marriage." In fact, if I'm not mistaken, you can even continue to have premarital sex, and without fear. :thumbsup:

All those verses accept one are from the NEW TESTAMENT, which as a Jew I could care less about. the Christian scriptures are NOT my scriptures. The Genesis verse states the ideal, and so did I. I already discussed that in my post to you--it explains why premarital sex would be prohibited today, even though it was not prohibited back then in Leviticus 18.

Skwim

Veteran Member
All those verses accept one are from the NEW TESTAMENT, which as a Jew I could care less about. the Christian scriptures are NOT my scriptures. The Genesis verse states the ideal, and so did I. I already discussed that in my post to you--it explains why premarital sex would be prohibited today, even though it was not prohibited back then in Leviticus 18.
Then consider this:

Deuteronomy 22:13-14
13If a man takes a wife, is intimate with her and despises her,
14and he makes libelous charges against her and gives her a bad name, saying, "I took this woman, and when I came to her, I did not find any evidence of virginity for her.")

First of all, libelous charges and a bad name made because his wife was not a virgin would only have come about because she had premarital sex. So, premarital sex was certainly recognized back in the Old Testament days of Deuteronomy.

. . . . 20-21
But if the thing is true, that evidence of virginity was not found in the young woman, then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones, because she has done an outrageous thing in Israel by whoring in her father's house. So you shall purge the evil from your midst.

Secondly, the presumption of the little story here is that if she was not a virgin before she married---something the verses recognize as a decided possibility---it would have to mean she had premarital sex. So again, premarital sex was certainly recognized back in the Old Testament days of Deuteronomy.

Moreover, the fact that she would have been worthy of being stoned to death establishes the seriousness of the act. So much so (It's even called "whoring.") that premarital sex would certainly have been prohibited.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Deuteronomy 22:13-14
13If a man takes a wife, is intimate with her and despises her,
14and he makes libelous charges against her and gives her a bad name, saying, "I took this woman, and when I came to her, I did not find any evidence of virginity for her."​
It means one of two things.
1. Either she was already married and was committing adultery (or perhaps was a widow and did not disclose).
2. Or she is a prostitute. Prostitution is not the same as premarital sex.

You see the thing is, hanky panky inevitably DID go on, and assuredly it happened among some that did not want to marry, so they kept it a secret. But by law she would have been considered married, and lack of virginity is proof.

Unfortunatly, the law does not account for the ways a hymen can break without having sex.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It means one of two things.
1. Either she was already married and was committing adultery (or perhaps was a widow and did not disclose).
2. Or she is a prostitute. Prostitution is not the same as premarital sex.
Nah!
shaking-head-no-smiley-emoticon.gif
It means she had premarital sex. SORRY. :shrug: BUT

BLOOD OUT OF A TURNIP.png

You see the thing is, hanky panky inevitably DID go on, and assuredly it happened among some that did not want to marry, so they kept it a secret.
In other words, contrary to your assertion in post 77 that "in the good old days of ancient Israel, there was no such thing as premarital sex," in the good old days of ancient Israel, there was such thing as premarital sex. :thumbsup:

Unfortunatly, the law does not account for the ways a hymen can break without having sex.
Yeah, too bad god didn't clue them in to this little fact. He must have been busy with more important things.
golf-hole-smiley-emoticon.gif

IndigoChild5559

In other words, contrary to your assertion in post 77 that "in the good old days of ancient Israel, there was no such thing as premarital sex," in the good old days of ancient Israel, there was such thing as premarital sex. :thumbsup:.
No, I repeated that she would have been considered married.

Am I wrong? @RabbiO could you chime in here? I don't want to be handing out mistaken info.

Skwim

Veteran Member
No, I repeated that she would have been considered married.
You are aware, are you not, that males and females like having sex without the encumbrance of marriage, so they don't tell their parents, they don't tell their neighbors, they don't tell their fellow sheep herders, they don't tell their fellow simlāh weavers, and they don't tell ANYONE ELSE. So, there would be no one who would have any reason to conclude they should be considered married. And if you think that those living in good old days of ancient Israel were different than everyone else on earth, then you need to get out into the world more.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

You are aware, are you not, that males and females like having sex without the encumbrance of marriage, so they don't tell their parents, they don't tell their neighbors, they don't tell their fellow sheep herders, they don't tell their fellow simlāh weavers, and they don't tell ANYONE ELSE. So, there would be no one who would have any reason to conclude they should be considered married. And if you think that those living in good old days of ancient Israel were different than everyone else on earth, then you need to get out into the world more.

The biology of women is to pair up with a man who will stick around and help raise the young. Thus young women, unless they are raised in a society like ours that boo hoos such inclinations, will always prefer marriage. They might settle for something less, or take something less RIGHT NOW until marriage comes along. But it is ridiculous of you to state that women in general, across cultures and down through time, don't prefer marriage.

I may be misunderstanding you, but you are coming across as an amazingly ethnocentric individual, who really can't switch mindframes when dealing with different cultures, and who assumes that what is the norm for his own culture (and his own predilections) is true for everyone. IOW very self centered in a certain way.