• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's Chosen?

wmam

The United States, as a Nation, is not the chosen people in my own opinion. Neither, might I add, is any other nation that now exsist. To me, the chosen are all those individuals that do the will of YAH. It was said salvation to the Jew first then the Gentiles. Gentiles meaning nations. Not any one nation but to all in all the nations that believe and do the will of YAH. This is my take.

joeboonda

In the Bible Israel was God's chosen people, and He promised Abraham that through his seed all nations would be blessed. Out of Israel came the one who would bless all nations, Our Saviour Jesus Christ. America was founded on freedom OF religion, to worship how or what you please, not freedom FROM religion. I still think there are many good Christians in America and we are blessed of God, but we are doing many evils in his sight for which he cannot turn his back on. It is never too late for a nation to turn to God, and be blessed. But I think we are approaching the last days, where there will be a great falling away, men ever learning but never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. The Rapture of the church is imminent (could be now or in many years), but is coming, the church, the bride of Christ will be in heaven for the judgement seat of Christ and the marriage supper of the lamb, the Great Seven Year Tribulation begins with the signing of the peace treaty by the antichrist in the middle east, the judgements begin and increase, and at the end of that time Jesus Christ, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords will return in power at his Second Coming and set up his Millenial Kingdom. Afterwhich the Great White Throne Judgement, and the new heaven and new earth and the city of the New Jerusalem and God will be with us forever and ever.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Sunstone said:
Many people seem to believe that America is a special nation to God, and that Americans are in some sense God's chosen people. Furthermore, they believe this accounts for America's importance in the world. What are your views of this notion? Does it have any merit? Or is it poppycock? What do you think?
i do not think god has a chosen nation which he favors - that is, as the english would say, poppycock

im not denying the fact that america has a lot of political power over the rest of the world, but american politics is not for an english man like me to be troubled with :D

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Pardus said:
The meek shall inherit the earth, and i see nothing meek about the US as a nation.
doesn't the US as a nation have a lot of people living in poverty? no nation is perfect, all nations are meek and should humble themselves

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
Many people seem to believe that America is a special nation to God, and that Americans are in some sense God's chosen people. Furthermore, they believe this accounts for America's importance in the world. What are your views of this notion? Does it have any merit? Or is it poppycock? What do you think?
I couldn't help but think of this:-
Jerusalem
Written by William Blake
And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green
And was the holy lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen
And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills
And was Jerusalem builded there
Among those dark Satanic mills
Bring me my bow (my bow) of burning gold
Bring me my arrows of desire
Bring me my spears o'clouds unfold
Bring me my chariot of fire
I will not cease from mental fight
Nor shall my (my) sword sleep in hand
'Til we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land
'Til we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land​
Having said that (tongue in cheek), to quote Dawny;​
dawny0826 said:
I would think, based upon what the Bible states... that Israel is truly God's chosen nation and people.
Thinking more along the lines of 'the meek shall inherit the Earth', are not the Jews the historically recognized punchbag of every other nation ?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
michel said:
Thinking more along the lines of 'the meek shall inherit the Earth', are not the Jews the historically recognized punchbag of every other nation ?
ah yes, a good point, however, every religion has been pursecuted throughout history

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Sunstone said:
Many people seem to believe that America is a special nation to God, and that Americans are in some sense God's chosen people....
Poppycock. I don't believe God chooses nations. Or the He chooses people based on their nationality.

Mat 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last, for many are called, but few are chosen.
Jesus used the parable of the king's wedding guests to illustrate how many people are invited, but of those, a few will choose to listen and even fewer will be chosen to enter the kingdon of Heaven:
Jesus said:
Mat 22:1 And Jesus answered and spoke to them again by parables, and said,
2 The kingdom of Heaven is like a certain king who made a marriage for his son.
3 And he sent out his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding; and they would not come.
4 Again he sent out other servants, saying, Tell those who are invited, Behold, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and fatlings are killed, and all things are ready. Come to the marriage.
5 But not caring, they went their ways, one to his field, another to his trading.
6 And the rest took his servants and treated them spitefully, and killed them.
7 But when the king heard, he was angry. And he sent out his armies and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.
8 Then he said to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they who were invited were not worthy.
9 Therefore go into the exits of the highways, and as many as you shall find, invite them to the marriage.
10 So the servants went out into the highways and gathered together as many as they found, both bad and good. And the wedding was filled with reclining guests.
11 And the king coming in to look over the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment.
12 And he said to him, Friend, how did you come in here without having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
13 Then the king said to the servants, Bind him hand and foot and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
14 For many are called, but few chosen.
Jesus is speaking to His disciples here, but I believe He is speaking to all of His followers now as well:
Jesus said:
John 15:12 This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
13 No one has greater love than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14 You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.
15 No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master does. But I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.
16 You have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you and ordained you that you should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain; that whatever you shall ask of the Father in My name, He may give it to you.
17 These things I command you, that you love one another.
18 If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.
19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own. But because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.
God chose Paul... certainly not the other way around :eek:
God said:
Acts 9:13 And Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard from many of this man, how many evil things he has done to Your saints at Jerusalem.
14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your Name.
15 But the Lord said to him, Go! For this one is a chosen vessel to Me, to bear My name before nations and kings and the sons of Israel.

<and>

Acts 22:12 And one Ananias, a devout man according to the Law, testified to by all the Jews who lived there,
13 coming to me and standing by, said to me, Brother Saul, look up! And the same hour I looked up on him.
14 And he said, The God of our fathers has chosen you to know His will and to see the Just One, and to hear a voice out of His mouth.
15 For you shall be His witness to all men of what you have seen and heard.

may

Abram said:
I don't think God has choosen people or a nation. He does say he'll restore Jerusalem though.

Where did you hear that America is God's choosen nation?

But the Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother..... galations 4;26

(Philippians 3:20) As for us, our citizenship exists in the heavens, from which place also we are eagerly waiting for a savior, the Lord Jesus Christ..... i would say it wont be on earth because its in heaven

"Jerusalem above" is God’s heavenly "woman," his organization of mighty spirit creatures

Earthly Jerusalem was blessed with such a time of renewal after the Babylonian exile. "Jerusalem above" has been even more blessed

According to Revelation 12:1-17, God’s "woman" was greatly blessed by giving birth to a most important "offspring"—not an individual spirit son, but the Messianic Kingdom in heaven. This birth occurred in 1914. (See Revelation—Its Grand Climax At Hand!, pages 177-86.) Isaiah’s prophecy focuses on the joy she feels as a result of God’s blessing on her anointed sons on earth

energize

Gods chosen people were also the Levites out of all the tribes of Israel, separated unto God as His inheritance, and they as His. No other tribe was anointed as the "elect" and to be priests in Israel. The "only begotten son" in name of Levi that God made his covenant with.

The Levites received no inheritance among the other tribes. Their inheritance was the things of God, to serve as priests forever in the generations of Israel. To serve was the sacrifice of themselves in service to their brethren. They were to be as as the order of Melchizedek, without father or mother, sister or brother. In return they were given the land of Israel and positioned in the gates of her cities as judges in the law, law givers, lawyers.

linwood

Sunstone said:

Wait a sec...I just read in a different thread that God is perfectly just.
How can God have a "chosen people" and still maintian perfect justice?

Sounds prejudiced to me.

opensoul7

We (human beings) are all Gods children. God loves us all .God is beyond borders , politics, money , war, or any other human characteristic we try to place on God.We are no more or less special to God than anyone else, we are only self important in our own minds , the ego is a powerfull thing.The question that might be posed is how does God feel about us carving out chunks of Gods earth and claiming it for our own , like spoiled children?

linwood

AE:
If God did bless America, it came at a high cost for the rest of the world. I don't understand how God could bless capitalism and greed, slavery and patriarchalism, and pre-imptive wars.
eek.gif
We are talking about the Biblical God..yes?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
opensoul7 said:
We (human beings) are all Gods children. God loves us all .God is beyond borders , politics, money , war, or any other human characteristic we try to place on God.We are no more or less special to God than anyone else, we are only self important in our own minds , the ego is a powerfull thing.The question that might be posed is how does God feel about us carving out chunks of Gods earth and claiming it for our own , like spoiled children?
Nice post; good points.:)

Pardus said:
Evidence that might indicate that god hates the US.

[url="http://www.reandev.com/taliban/"]http://www.reandev.com/taliban/[/url]
I would say that God hates no one; he may despair at times by our slowness to learn.......

Radar

Which god is doing the choosing? Am I still chosen if I don't choose him? It's all up for interpretation. I don't think it is knowable and there will be many claims of the faithful. Where I am happy not knowing and not caring. I am sure if there is a god or gods then they will choose and none of us will know until that happens anyone who thinks otherwise is just speculating.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Radar said:
Which god is doing the choosing? Am I still chosen if I don't choose him? It's all up for interpretation. I don't think it is knowable and there will be many claims of the faithful. Where I am happy not knowing and not caring. I am sure if there is a god or gods then they will choose and none of us will know until that happens anyone who thinks otherwise is just speculating.
Think what you like, but I believe that the day you die, you'll be very happy to discover that God exists, and that he'll welcome you.

Radar

michel said:
Think what you like, but I believe that the day you die, you'll be very happy to discover that God exists, and that he'll welcome you.
Thanks... And someday we will all find out, I am just trying to make the best of the only life I believe I have, but I want you to know that I appreciate the positive thoughts for me and the like.:)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Radar said:
Thanks... And someday we will all find out, I am just trying to make the best of the only life I believe I have, but I want you to know that I appreciate the positive thoughts for me and the like.:)
Ah, but if you are right, we'll never know you were right all along; I guess that gives me the edge, because you might be in the position of saying "So, Michel, you were right", whereas if you are, I won't be anywhere to apologise.:biglaugh:

Radar

michel said:
Ah, but if you are right, we'll never know you were right all along; I guess that gives me the edge, because you might be in the position of saying "So, Michel, you were right", whereas if you are, I won't be anywhere to apologise.:biglaugh:
You will also be able to say "I told you so" :woohoo: