• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's chosen.

Master Vigil

Again I was flipping through the stations on tv last night (well this morning :)) And I came across the old man giving a lecture on the bible. I thought, "this will be interesting." Most of the stuff he said was the normal stuff, but one thing he said caught my attention... It went something like this...

"In the end, god wins. Trust me I read the back of the book. :D But he can't win unless he has human souls to fight the devil. And god knows you, he's the only one who knows you. Thats why he can judge you, he knows where your breaking point is when it comes to evil. That is why he chooses strong humans to fight the devil. Thats why we are christians, we are the stong that god has chosen to fight the devil. We are gods chosen!!!"

Now, that is a great recruiting and marketing tool right there!!!!!! Everyone wants to be elite, to be the best. And christians use that natural human desire to bring in converts. No wonder why alot (not all) are so selfish, bigoted, and closed minded. They are the gods chosen!!!!!

Now, is it more important to be selfish, egotistical, bigoted, and think you are gods chosen?
Or is it more important to be humble?

Saw11_2000

I like to be humble. I think we should be less egostatistical and think more about other people, helping humanity, being respectful, giving to charity, and thinking how to make our world better for everyone. But that's the humanist part of me speaking.

The other part of me wants to make millions of dollars and buy a refridgerator with a color TV built into it.

But seriously, being "elite" is rediculous, you are no different than any other human being on this planet.

jimbob

The Celt
I don't think that we're Gods chosen at all. i just think that we know what he wants. And it is good to be humble.

Master Vigil

Do you think because you claim to know what he wants, that you are any better than another because you claim to be right? If another in a different religion claimed to know what he wants, and it differed from what you claim, does that make you better (just because you think are right)?

Dr. Khan

If God choses me I'm gonna say so. It is written "let the redeemed of the Lord say so." I'm chosen, ande I'm thankful and grateful, overjoyed, and thrilled; I'm also thoughtful of my neighbor to tell him the good news. God wants us to be just like him. :woohoo: I like the woohoo guy.

j316

I would have to say that I am humbly grateful. I do believe the christian message but I also realize that I have broken most of God's commandment's, so I don't have a lot to be proud of. Just lucky, I guess.

Lightkeeper

Master Vigil said:
Again I was flipping through the stations on tv last night (well this morning :)) And I came across the old man giving a lecture on the bible. I thought, "this will be interesting." Most of the stuff he said was the normal stuff, but one thing he said caught my attention... It went something like this...

"In the end, god wins. Trust me I read the back of the book. :D But he can't win unless he has human souls to fight the devil. And god knows you, he's the only one who knows you. Thats why he can judge you, he knows where your breaking point is when it comes to evil. That is why he chooses strong humans to fight the devil. Thats why we are christians, we are the stong that god has chosen to fight the devil. We are gods chosen!!!"

Now, that is a great recruiting and marketing tool right there!!!!!! Everyone wants to be elite, to be the best. And christians use that natural human desire to bring in converts. No wonder why alot (not all) are so selfish, bigoted, and closed minded. They are the gods chosen!!!!!

Now, is it more important to be selfish, egotistical, bigoted, and think you are gods chosen?
Or is it more important to be humble?
You are right, it does look like a marketing tool. And, yes, it does imply that some people are better than others. I just do not understand how ministers can be so far off target with the message and have so many support them in it. I think it boils down to laziness. Some people are too lazy to figure it out for themselves. Some slick guy comes along and appeals to their vanity and they caught up in it.

Jesus sat among the poor, thieves, the unhealthy and was one with them. His message was about loving your neighbors and yourself.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Why does this remind me of Hitler? The "chosen" the "special" the "elite". The downright scary to me. Propaganda at its height. To say that some are better than others reminds me of the whole "master race" theory of Hitler's and is, to me at least, guilty of one of the seven deadly sins...that of pride!

And as for knowing what a deity wants...what...does he knock on your door and tell you or call you up and say "hey, don't watch Harry Potter...it's evil cause I say so"??? Again, to presume you know what a deity thinks and wants at any given time is PRIDE. Also arrogance and niavity as well.

jimbob

The Celt
Master Vigil said:
Do you think because you claim to know what he wants, that you are any better than another because you claim to be right? If another in a different religion claimed to know what he wants, and it differed from what you claim, does that make you better (just because you think are right)?
I do not think that im any better than anyone else. Not at all. Im not chosen or special or anything. I do not claim to be right, its just what i believe. If a different religion says something else, i do not criticize them at all.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Dr. Khan said:
If God choses me I'm gonna say so. It is written "let the redeemed of the Lord say so." I'm chosen, ande I'm thankful and grateful, overjoyed, and thrilled; I'm also thoughtful of my neighbor to tell him the good news. God wants us to be just like him. :woohoo: I like the woohoo guy.
And if "God" turned out to be just like Tinky Winky would you turn gay and carry a purse? How do you know what "He" is like? How do you know that "God" doesn't look like some tiny Chinese woman and wants everyone to eat Lo Mein Noodles? How do you know what to be then?

M

Majikthise

Draka said:
Why does this remind me of Hitler? The "chosen" the "special" the "elite". The downright scary to me. Propaganda at its height. To say that some are better than others reminds me of the whole "master race" theory of Hitler's and is, to me at least, guilty of one of the seven deadly sins...that of pride!

And as for knowing what a deity wants...what...does he knock on your door and tell you or call you up and say "hey, don't watch Harry Potter...it's evil cause I say so"??? Again, to presume you know what a deity thinks and wants at any given time is PRIDE. Also arrogance and niavity as well.
What is scary is how you read my mind!:eek:

Master Vigil

jimbob said:
I do not think that im any better than anyone else. Not at all. Im not chosen or special or anything. I do not claim to be right, its just what i believe. If a different religion says something else, i do not criticize them at all.
Beautiful... This is why I love catholics. :D

Dr. Khan

Draka said:
And if "God" turned out to be just like Tinky Winky would you turn gay and carry a purse? How do you know what "He" is like? How do you know that "God" doesn't look like some tiny Chinese woman and wants everyone to eat Lo Mein Noodles? How do you know what to be then?
Your questions are delicious to me. I'm glad to give you and explanation. I consider myself to be at least the( least) in the Kingdom of Heaven. Jesus said of such that he (the least) would be greater than John the Baptist who he explained that none of the prophets before John (bapt.) were greater than him. So If I be greater than John the Baptist I have to ask myself the question (how?). The New Testament claims (by Paul) to be greater than the Old in Glory and power and on every level superior. It was made with better promises. Jesus came giving the common man equal status as that of Solomon and even greater. These promises are unlimited in power and greatness. They are also deadly. You shall surely die. That is Jesus said you must take up your cross and follow him daily. To take up your cross is to die to the selfish person that you and I are born with. It is our nature to live and tto protect our life. Jesus want us to die. So that the new life that comes into us from him brings with it so much abundance of life that we recognize that we live forever and do not have to fight to save our (self) life. God preserves our life. Do not be decieved Satan tempted Jesus Saying prove you're the son of God. Jesus answered him with the word that is written in the Torah.The old Testament.
This brings me to the point that The word of God is a light to my feet. You get to know someone by the words they speak. God Speaks through the Torah. Jesus said that salvation is of the Jews. In the Torah is God's plan to undo the works of the devil. It is done by the blood of Jesus and the promises of God. I noticed in his promises that they themselves are the law. Such as if God makes you a promise he's got to keep it. Its become a law to him. Thus we depend upon him to perform his words. (We watch) and (watch) and (watch) and catch him. We continue to watch and watch and we catch him again and again and again til we meet him face to face. Oh how wonderful it is to catch up with Jesus. Jesus is in his promises. We keep his words in us. The Holy Spirit comes to keep those words glorifying Jesus in our eyes. Faith is the point between believing the word and having it fulfilled.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Dr. Kahn, can you give a straight answer to anything? Without expounding verse? Does anything come from your own heart and mind? I have seen an awful lot of "thumping" here in the majority of your posts, but no spark of enlightenment shows through in yourself that I can see. All you seem to do is bash around a question trying to come up with an answer for everything from the bible. You didn't answer anything I said...not in the least. You say "god" wants us to be just like him...is "god" to you Jesus or the father or do you see them as one and the same? that is the question that must be answered in order to respond intellectually to what I said. You either think of Jesus as god or god is a deity you must admit to know nothing about except what other men have written. To presume you know your deity in and out is to be guilty of the sin of Pride.

Dr. Khan

my claim is that of the common man not the intellectual. I am perfectly satisfied knowing that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are one. I have no problem with the discriptions given in the bible. I have become a part of those descriptions so that I am not alone, but Christ who dwells in me speaks to you also. The word of God carries his nature in it. His greatness is such that those things which keep his words partake of the divine nature. It is written they hate him that rebuketh at the gate and they abhor him that speaks uprightly. I'm just a common guy. not special at all.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I think that humility is more important...
Look at the greatest prophet of the Jewish faith, Moses...he didn't even want the job and yet G-d chose him anyways...