• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gods are a Dime a Dozen

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
So, if I get all what you are saying, THIS particular God of the Christian religion, is "like you"...being a NON-BINARY.......IOW, a "THEY", or a "THEM", right?
Well they could be. But pronouns don't always equal gender. Plenty of nonbinary folk do have he/him or she/her as pronouns. In fact I may be nonbinary and prefer neutral language usually but I enjoy when @firedragon calls me brother rather then sibling or sibster or sister and I know @JustGeorge is female but doesn't care what pronouns is used for cat. In fact I use cat/catself for George which is a set of neopronouns cuz cat thought they were nice and I know another person a lesbian in a support group I go to who goes by he/him. I also know a male who goes by she/ her. As such I can't say. I'd rather folk who follow said god figure that out...also a god might not care about pronouns. I mean not as much as humans anyway.

Last edited:

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
Well they could be. But pronouns don't always equal gender. . As such I can't say. I'd rather folk who follow said god figure that out...also a god might not care about pronouns. I mean not as much as humans anyway.
All very good as well as plainly stated, which I for one, really DO appreciate. However, much of what you said really only applies TO human beings.......however, it is NOT the same when speaking of a God.....especially when said God is being referred to IN the masculine gender.....which to ME, tends to make it rather SPECIFIC!
And then when questioned, the responses invariably beat all around the proverbial 'bush' usually ending up with no real definitive conclusion other than not willing to refer to God as an "IT:.
Which brings me back full circle, to where, if God is NOT a He, and is NOT a SHE, the next logical alternative IS, referring to God as in "IT".
Personally, I don't feel that such a God really GIVES a damn WHAT we call it, just as long as we worship it in the way it wishes TO be worshiped.

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
Moses said that because, as @Sheldon said, polytheism was quite widespread at that time, so there were many people who BELIEVED there were many gods. But that does not mean there ARE many gods..
Ok, but that does NOT explain why God, felt the need to demand that others believe ONLY in him and not any of the other gods out there?

Not only Moses, but Jesus and Muhammad and the Bab and Baha'ullah said that there is only ONE God..
You know there is no viable evidence available which supports the validity AND the veracity of any such claims that Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, Babs, OR Baha'ullah, said any such thing. Sure, you have the SCRIPTURES.....but can you provide anything to authenticate THEIR accuracy?

But that does not mean there was not someone named Moses.
Seriously? I have no doubts that there a quite a few individuals out there, that go by the name Moses.

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
My God resurrected 2000 years ago

And I think there is evidence for his existence (unlike other Gods)

Hmmmmmm the way I see that, is if your God really IS God, then it cannot be killed, therefore it is pure fantasy to claim that your God died, and then came BACK to life again,

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Ok, but that does NOT explain why God, felt the need to demand that others believe ONLY in him and not any of the other gods out there?
God did not demand it, although He said it in no uncertain terms, and He said it because He is the one true God, and AS GOD He knew that He WAS GOD so He did not want people to believe in false gods.
You know there is no viable evidence available which supports the validity AND the veracity of any such claims that Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, Babs, OR Baha'ullah, said any such thing. Sure, you have the SCRIPTURES.....but can you provide anything to authenticate THEIR accuracy?
I don't know what you mean by authenticate their accuracy. If you mean can we prove that they came from God, no, nobody can prove that. However we can authenticate that the Bab and Baha'u'llah wrote their own scriptures.
Seriously? I have no doubts that there a quite a few individuals out there, that go by the name Moses.
That's true.

leroy

Well there is no objective evidence to support this claim.
What Exactly do you mean by “objective evidence”? under your definition, is there “objective evidence” for any historical claim? (say the claim that Alexander the Great was born in Macedonia) ?

All the other theists who believe in other deities make the same assertion about the deity they imagine is real though.

Well each case falls or stands by their own merits

leroy

Hmmmmmm the way I see that, is if your God really IS God, then it cannot be killed, therefore it is pure fantasy to claim that your God died, and then came BACK to life again,
Granted I mean the “human body” that God borrowed died and resurrected………………..God himself didn’t die

leroy

What makes yours so special?
Models of the solar system are also a dime a dozen, (we have flatt earth, geocentric model, Ptolemaic system, etc.)

What makes your “heliocentric model” model which states that the earth revolts around the sun so special?

Obviously given that other models are wrong and stupid, it most follow that the heliocentric model is also wrong. (I am being sarcastic)

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
She does, but the problem is that She did not used to carry much respect back in the Bible days, and that is why God has always been referred to as a He.

And BOY how things have changed TODAY, haven't they, what with this big push for EQUAL FEMALE RIGHTS. Ok, I can dig it, so from now on, God shall be referred to in the FEMININE sense and gender.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
She does, but the problem is that She did not used to carry much respect back in the Bible days, and that is why God has always been referred to as a He.
God should have corrected this anomaly right then and there. Why did she let it persist for more than 2000 years. Even her latest manifestation, your 19th Century Iranian continued with that anomaly. That is why your House of Justice has no female member or a representative of LGBTQ (you may correct me if it is not so). It surely seems that according to your belief God is male by gender and is a male chauvinist.

As I have always maintained that messages sent by so-imagined God or those revealed (sic) by his so-called manifestations are always wrong.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
God should have corrected this anomaly right then and there. Why did she let it persist for more than 2000 years. Even her latest manifestation, your 19th Century Iranian continued with that anomaly.
That is because humans were not yet ready to make the shift, not in the 19th century when equal rights for women had not even yet become a reality. The next Messenger might well be a women.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is because humans were not yet ready to make the shift, not in the 19th century when equal rights for women had not even yet become a reality. The next Messenger might well be a women.
Oh! So women and LGBTQ have to wait for 830 more years till the next manifestation comes to get their rights from your Allah (since a new manifestation cannot appear so soon after Bahaollah). Funny, extremely funny. You are a strange people.
.. a women.
I see a problem here.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God is not a He in the sense of having a gender. God is not a human being.
We refer to God as He and His only out of respect, as God is not an it.
But God is a "he." The original Hebrew has only two genders. They chose masculine for "God."

God is not a He in the sense of not having a sex. Gender is not sex. Gender is a linguistic noun-class that has nothing to do with sex.
In France a table is feminine. Haul it across the border to Germany and is suddenly becomes masculine.

English is only able to equate the two inasmuch as English is a very unusual language with natural gender, where the noun-class and biological sex coincide.