• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gods are a Dime a Dozen

Sheldon

Veteran Member
3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Deuteronomy 5:7
King James Version

7 Thou shalt have none other gods before me.

That does not mean there are 'other gods.' God said that, speaking through Moses, because people were worshiping false Gods and there is only one true God, the God revealed by Moses.
Then shouldn't it say though shalt not worship false gods? How can anyone have any gods before it if there are no other gods? Polytheism was quite widespread at that time.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
What makes my God special is that he responds to everyone who searches for God.
This claim is quite common among the adherents of quite a few different religions, that worship very different deities. So I do not find it very compelling.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think Bible God is special in that He has message for all of us. And He tells how things will go. Other God's seem to be very silent, have nothing to say and don't seem to know anything.
No. God in Islam and Bahaiism also have message for all of us, whether we want any message or not, that does not stop them.

Colt

This claim is quite common among the adherents of quite a few different religions, that worship very different deities. So I do not find it very compelling.
God is one, concepts are many among sincere people searching for. God. It is because God is infinite, and we are finite that we can't help but "conceptualize" deity.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
God is one, concepts are many among sincere people searching for. God. It is because God is infinite, and we are finite that we can't help but "conceptualize" deity.
Sorry but I have no idea what you're trying to say. However the fact remains your original claim is made by adherents of many different religions, who believe in many different deities, thus I do not find it vey convincing. The fact you believe there is only one deity, doesn't really change that, obviously.

Colt

Sorry but I have no idea what you're trying to say. However the fact remains your original claim is made by adherents of many different religions, who believe in many different deities, thus I do not find it vey convincing. The fact you believe there is only one deity, doesn't really change that, obviously.
If you are too ignorant to understand that humans of all religions are left to conceptualize their deity, then don't respond to my post!

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
Exodus 20
King James Version

20 And God spake all these words, saying,
2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Deuteronomy 5:7
King James Version

7 Thou shalt have none other gods before me.

That does not mean there are 'other gods.' God said that, speaking through Moses, because people were worshiping false Gods and there is only one true God, the God revealed by Moses.

Please note the Big G and the little g.... God vs. gods. There is only one true God.

I will not call God an it but you can call God anything you want to.

Of COURSE it means there are 'other gods', otherwise WHY would this one god MENTION it?
So you believe that the ONE GOD "said that", because it is written by some indigent goat-herders, that Moses said that God said that, and we are supposed to accept that there is only ONE TRUE GOD, because according TO Moses, God revealed itself TO Moses.
That sure is an AWFUL lot of supposition going on there, isn't it? And to the best of my knowledge, it cannot even be validated there even WAS someone named Moses,
Ahhh yes, the big G and the little g.......got it! I do not care what YOU call your god.......but if it is NOT a HE and is NOT a SHE, what else is LEFT, besides "it" being referred to as "IT"?

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
If God is omnipotent, God is intersex:

- can God produce sperm? If God can do anything, then yes.
- can God ovulate? If God can do anything, then yes.
- can God impregnate another god? If God can do anything, then yes.
- can God get pregnant and carry an offspring to term? If God can do anything, then yes.

etc., etc., for any marker of sex you think is relevant.

Gender is a different matter; I'm not sure how God would identify. But God would be intersex.

Wow! but that is an awful lot of answering your own questions, isn't it? NONE of which can actually be validated, HOWEVER, you said it, therefore it MUST be valid, right?

So you wish to consider God as being "intersex".....I take it then that what you ARE saying is that God is a Hermaphrodite........has all the "junk" of a male, and all the "inner workings" of a female. Amazing! simply amazing!

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
Or nonbinary like me...and even if they have no gender they still would be nonbinary. In fact could be called agender

But I believe in multiple gods which means a wide variety of genders...some are female, some are male and others nonbinary, others change gender....so there's that. This convo of one god dont apply to me

So, if I get all what you are saying, THIS particular God of the Christian religion, is "like you"...being a NON-BINARY.......IOW, a "THEY", or a "THEM", right?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That is not correct. See Tony's post #405, in the topic "Do you trust God". Tony is quoting from Bahaollah and Bahaollah said:

"Know thou of a certainty that the Unseen can in no wise incarnate His Essence and reveal it unto men. He is, and hath ever been .."
Therefore, according to your latest manifestation, the 19th Century Iranian, God is a He.
You do not even know what your own religion says.
God is not a He in the sense of having a gender. God is not a human being.
We refer to God as He and His only out of respect, as God is not an it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Then shouldn't it say though shalt not worship false gods? How can anyone have any gods before it if there are no other gods? Polytheism was quite widespread at that time.
Yes, the Bible would have been clearer if it said not to worship false gods but we all know that the Bible is anything but clear.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Of COURSE it means there are 'other gods', otherwise WHY would this one god MENTION it?
Moses said that because, as @Sheldon said, polytheism was quite widespread at that time, so there were many people who BELIEVED there were many gods. But that does not mean there ARE many gods.
So you believe that the ONE GOD "said that", because it is written by some indigent goat-herders, that Moses said that God said that, and we are supposed to accept that there is only ONE TRUE GOD, because according TO Moses, God revealed itself TO Moses.
Not only Moses, but Jesus and Muhammad and the Bab and Baha'ullah said that there is only ONE God.
That sure is an AWFUL lot of supposition going on there, isn't it? And to the best of my knowledge, it cannot even be validated there even WAS someone named Moses,
But that does not mean there was not someone named Moses.