• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Godless is lack of Virtues.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God is likened to the Sun, the source of light and life.

Thus Godless is the exact opposite, it is darkness and death.

So from a faith perspective, Godliness is being made alive in the light of God which is all the virtues.

In that context, a person of faith is to look for the light, from no matter where it shines, but most importantly become the light that is life itself and build lasting connections in family communities and Nations.

A person with no faith must then choose virtue over vice for their own reasons, but there is no disputing, virtues make the person and create harmony, whereas vices tear apart people, families, communities and Nations.

In that way, humanity can find a unity in its diversity.

download.jpeg

So how do we promote virtues over vices, to an extent that war is no longer considered or tolerated?

Regards Tony

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
So?

X being likened to Y doesn't entail that not-X is the opposite of Y. First, you'd have to establish that the likening is correct. Second, you have to establish that being not-X entails not-Y.

You can't just assert these things.

So from a faith perspective, Godliness is being made alive in the light of God which is all the virtues.
The "All virtues" claim doesn't follow from "Made alive in the light". It's an empty assertion; and a deepity at that.

In that context, a person of faith is to look for the light, from no matter where it shines, but most importantly become the light that is life itself and build lasting connections in family communities and Nations.
"In that context"? You mean if someone accepts your assertions.

Surely there is a sub-forum for sermonizing.

And, IME, the godless have every bit as much virtue as any so-called 'godly'

Orbit

I'm a planet

A person with no faith must then choose virtue over vice for their own reasons, but there is no disputing, virtues make the person and create harmony, whereas vices tear apart people, families, communities and Nations.

View attachment 61678

So how do we promote virtues over vices, to an extent that war is no longer considered or tolerated?

Regards Tony

The prisons are full of the godly.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

View attachment 61678

Regards Tony
Interesting use of irony: using a call to virtue as the medium for an expression of prejudice.

Altfish

Veteran Member

View attachment 61678

Regards Tony
So why is it that religious people fly planes into building; attack women looking for advice on family planning, protest against universal health care, hate immigrants, etc.?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You can't just assert these things.

Firstly these concepts are teachings found in God given faiths, so yes I am confident in the structure of the wording.

The examples can be found in life. I would offer an example who was named Abdul'baha, born 1844 passed on 1921, who lived a life of Virtues and in such a way proved to be a magnet of Love and Peace.

And, IME, the godless have every bit as much virtue as any so-called 'godly'

That is what the OP has offered. A good person is defined by virtues a bad person is defined by vices. Which in faith, that is good and evil.

Regards Tony

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

View attachment 61678

Regards Tony

I suspect the response would be more in line with what you are looking for if you had left God/Godless out of the picture.

The Gods some follow can be pretty dark. I don't think vice/virtue necessarily correlates to a God in a broader audience.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Godless is lack of Virtues.

I would compare my virtue to yours any day of the week. And i know i would win out on at least one virtue. I don't go around labelling people virtueless because they don't believe as i do.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Gods =\= Morality or Virtues, there are plenty of immoral, non-virtuous religious persons.

That's my line "Unity via Plurality".... Thief.

Correct, then no matter what they say they are, they would be Godless, or they lack virtues.

That is what the OP is exploring.

Regards Tony

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Correct, then no matter what they say they are, they would be Godless, or they lack virtues.

That is what the OP is exploring.

Regards Tony

Not true. If they believe in Gods, go to church and commit heinous acts. They are still the Religion they claim they are. You don't get to claim who is or is not Godless, as it's not your belief. Only they can say whether or not they do.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The prisons are full of the godly.

I would offer you have not understood the OP.

The prison is full of persons who have lacked a specific virtue, but maybe not all virtues, they most likely still have light shining from them, no matter what tag they identify as in faith or no faith.

One must remember there is light and the lack of light all the way down to complete darkness, the complete lack of light. It is very rare a person can be complete darkness.

Thus the OP is saying we need to look for and embrace the light.

Regards Tony

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
New God is likened to the Sun, the source of light and life.

Nice thread, I appreciate it. My analogy would be

A human is an incarnation of the Divine. Hence:
A Theist is an incarnation of the Divine
An Atheist is an incarnation of the Divine

Quite some "unity in Diversity", right @TransmutingSoul?

Note: Incarnation means embodiment here

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So why is it that religious people fly planes into building; attack women looking for advice on family planning, protest against universal health care, hate immigrants, etc.?

They were Godless, lacking virtues.

What this OP is also exploring is how the use of names and titles, automatically prevent people from exploring what is being said.

If you read this OP correctly, or the way intended, if it is not clear, it is saying people are defined by virtues or vices, not by names and titles.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I suspect the response would be more in line with what you are looking for if you had left God/Godless out of the picture.

The Gods some follow can be pretty dark. I don't think vice/virtue necessarily correlates to a God in a broader audience.

That is the point of the OP. It is the predudices built upon names and titles that show how we can reject the obvious.

People will even start quoting bad things faith has done, saying athiest can be better, when the OP already has offered that the lack of virtues, or in a faith sense, godless actions are possible for both people of faith and no faith.

Just as virtues actions or Godliness are a choice we can all make.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The title implies/asserts that those of us who identify as Godless have "a lack of virtues".

No that is not correct, the OP is saying Virtues are Godliness and Vices are Godless.

Thus all.people are defined by Virtues or vices.

Predudices in regards to names and titles blind us from exploring what is offered, in the light it is given

Regards Tony