• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Balsamous

The God of religion is Man's idea of a God and the proof is what you see ! Libya, Iraq - twice, Syria and Yemen are brutal examples of the God of Man. Fits in nicely with the jealous God of the Old Testament.

Beliefs are suffocating and a distraction, this I found out through my own experience. A freer soul is the result of dropping beliefs, but some souls need to belong to a religion as a kind of safety net.

All of the beings on this planet are a physical manifestion of what people refer to as God. Mother Earth has been brutally treated by our species, She has a soul. She also needs Love. We are raping and pillaging our collective Mother. We are reeling in the end of Life at a frightening rate.

Truly a Miracle is urgently needed.

Peace & Love to you All.
On point>>

Skwim

Veteran Member
If there is a 'creator' God, the question ought to be why creation at all.
God was bored out of his mind and wanted something to do and watch. Like a kid with an ant farm.

COMICAD%20ant%20farm.JPG

ant_farm_by_mrgamer01.jpg

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
In my opinion, each person deserves to believe in a specific God 'of his religion' to have a higher power to cling to in misfortunes, and there's no God of any religion. Just a creator. If there's one correct religion then more than 90% of people are going to hell. And God in all/most religions is merciful. What do you think? Is it the God of our religion we must believe in? Or a creator that didn't ask for any praise and has no religion?

A Creator/God implies that we are condemned by our own subconscious guilt.
It has been said we will be 'judged according to our own judgments',
so its only the hypocrites who end up in a hell of their own choosing.

And that hell is to suffer from our own judgments, so
'don't judge lest you be judged',
of course
we all judge, so it is necessary to partake in understanding ethics of philosophy.

Beyond that, the question of life after death is still another issue...

Rational Agnostic

In my opinion, each person deserves to believe in a specific God 'of his religion' to have a higher power to cling to in misfortunes, and there's no God of any religion. Just a creator. If there's one correct religion then more than 90% of people are going to hell. And God in all/most religions is merciful. What do you think? Is it the God of our religion we must believe in? Or a creator that didn't ask for any praise and has no religion?

No reason to think the creator of the entire universe is an egotistical anthropomorphic immortal.

Esaurus

What's the purpose of clinging to a god?

What's the purpose of a child clinging to his parents? What's the purpose of a worker clinging to his boss?

Will any of us escape life without facing a situation that may find us insufficient even with the sum total of all of our knowledge and experience?

Earl

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm more inclined to believe in a god than a creator.

Hmm. Why so?

God means person or object of worship. So, by believing in god, by default, worship however defined is involved.

Creator doesn't have attributes that one needs to worship. That's all believers' choice. Other people just say a creator exist and go to work the next day.

Why god instead of the creator?

buddhist

What's the purpose of a child clinging to his parents? What's the purpose of a worker clinging to his boss?
People cling because of dukkha/suffering.

However, in the case of parents or a boss, they are readily evident to others besides the cling-er. When it comes to a "god", it is not so evident.

Will any of us escape life without facing a situation that may find us insufficient even with the sum total of all of our knowledge and experience?

Earl
The root problem isn't in the multiplicity of situations we might face. The root problem is dukkha. Being competent at handling dukkha empowers the individual to handle any situation he or she might come across.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Creator vs. god is like saying parent vs. mother

Having a creator means nothing to humanity just that someone created us. A child is created by mother (and father) and in and of itself, too, has no characteristics negative nor positive. They just creators.

God, on the other hand, if talking about the abrahamic, has characteristics that define him a part from the creator of Islam (who does not believe jesus as god), and Bahai and so forth. So, the term god is a role (in some religions) just as the word mother tells us her role to her child.

Neither creator or god is negative or positive in and of themselves.

There's benefits in believing in either. If you believe in a creator, you have a sense of purpose and origin (you have a parent). If you believe in god, you have a sense of calling and connection so you can be nursed (you have a mother).

Religions don't define the creator, they define god(s).

Balsamous

A Creator/God implies that we are condemned by our own subconscious guilt.
It has been said we will be 'judged according to our own judgments',
so its only the hypocrites who end up in a hell of their own choosing.

And that hell is to suffer from our own judgments, so
'don't judge lest you be judged',
of course
we all judge, so it is necessary to partake in understanding ethics of philosophy.

Beyond that, the question of life after death is still another issue...
You're saying each person is judged according to what he sees right and wrong? So there are no main standards for blasphemy and sins?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Then why is there the bible the quran, and many different books teaching different religions

Humanity until relatively recently has been seperated by geography and time. Now we are a global village and can view world history as never before. In that context different Manifestations of the One Uknowable Essence we call God have educated humanity according to their capacity. The language Each One used reflects the exigencies and needs of a particular people for an appointed time.

"The All-Knowing Physician hath His finger on the pulse of mankind. He perceiveth the disease, and prescribeth, in His unerring wisdom, the remedy. Every age hath its own problem, and every soul its particular aspiration. The remedy the world needeth in its present-day afflictions can never be the same as that which a subsequent age may require. Be anxiously concerned with the needs of the age ye live in, and center your deliberations on its exigencies and requirements. We can well perceive how the whole human race is encompassed with great, with incalculable afflictions. We see it languishing on its bed of sickness, sore-tried and disillusioned." Baha'u'llah

Jumi

Hmm. Why so?

God means person or object of worship. So, by believing in god, by default, worship however defined is involved.
Not all gods demand worship. I find it unlikely that anything more wise than a human, if they exist, would even want worship.

Creator doesn't have attributes that one needs to worship. That's all believers' choice. Other people just say a creator exist and go to work the next day.

Why god instead of the creator?
Because I don't see any reason to believe the universe was created. I believe it has always existed, that it wasn't zapped into existence by creators will or "quantum borrowing" (not sure what the correct term would be) and that all existence other than the universe itself in it is temporary.

Well you totally have the right to do so, and if you believe in a God i recommend to worship him properly to achieve happiness
I don't worship. I merely accept the possibility of gods or God existing outside the physical boundaries or overlapping with our mind.

Limo

Then why is there the bible the quran, and many different books teaching different religions
Previous books are valid for a certain people for a certain period.
Some prophets have their own books or use previous prophets books.
These books were live and obligatory for the believers for a certain period for a certain people for a certain place.
It happened to Ibrahim and Noah books for example.
Same applies for Torah and Gospels. It became obsolete since Quran is revealed

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not all gods demand worship. I find it unlikely that anything more wise than a human, if they exist, would even want worship.

The word god means object and/or person of worship. The moment the person decides not to worship what/whoever, it or he/she is no longer god. It's just the definition of the word.

Merriam says worship means giving reverence and honor to what we considered sacred (important, worthy, held high, greater, or so forth). It is what you put your time into above other things like people worship their jobs especially those who love their jobs. They put their whole life into what they do, say working with children, and that worship or that devotion (better word) keeps a person on-going. Its sacred.

Worship is just how you give respect to something you feel needs respect over other things (family over stranger for example). Worship doesn't demand. That's obedience and slavery.

Because I don't see any reason to believe the universe was created. I believe it has always existed, that it wasn't zapped into existence by creators will or "quantum borrowing" (not sure what the correct term would be) and that all existence other than the universe itself in it is temporary.

If you don't believe in god (because to believe in god, by definition, is to believe in a person/object of worship; and you don't worship) and you don't believe in a creator, what other choices do you have, really?​

I mean, for example, I chose creator not because I believe there is one it just makes more sense than choosing an object or person that is defined by worship. I don't believe in worship; so, regardless of my belief, creator is more logical given how i feel about the definition of a god.

I don't worship. I merely accept the possibility of gods or God existing outside the physical boundaries or overlapping with our mind.

My overall point is, though, god(s) are defined by being objects and/or persons of worship. So, by declaring a possibility of god(s), if god happens to appear (or if you recognize whatever appears as god), by default, he is not a god until you worship him.

If you don't worship, he (whatever) would just be a deity no different than a creator.

Unless you are okay with worship, I don't understand how god would be a logical choice given if a god appeared, you wouldn't worship it nor treat it as a god.

rusra02

Premium Member
I believe it harms people to believe in and worship false gods that do not exist. Only the true God who is our Creator can provide genuine help and comfort for us. Just as some wicked men desire to be admired and worshipped, I believe Satan arrogantly wants to be worshipped. (Matthew 4:8,9) The worship given to false gods in reality is worship of Satan. (1 Corinthians 10:19,20) Nor does the true God torment anyone in hellfire. That is another lie originating with Satan, IMO.

Jumi

The word god means object and/or person of worship. The moment the person decides not to worship what/whoever, it or he/she is no longer god. It's just the definition of the word.
I'm aware of other definitions. The pagans used to believe in gods that they didn't always worship.

I mean, for example, I chose creator not because I believe there is one it just makes more sense than choosing an object or person that is defined by worship. I don't believe in worship; so, regardless of my belief, creator is more logical given how i feel about the definition of a god.
Well there are other definitions for gods.

If you don't worship, he (whatever) would just be a deity no different than a creator.
Except for not creating the universe, maybe.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm aware of other definitions. The pagans used to believe in gods that they didn't always worship.

Well there are other definitions for gods.

Except for not creating the universe, maybe.

Pagans, myself, use different definitions for god(s). Since my definition is different from Pagan Joe and pagan Larry, I just go by what Merriam says since she seems to be more popular and trustworthy than us regular Joe Smoes.

Whats your definition of god?