• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God: Trinity or Unity?

Is God a Trinity or a Unity?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
What's the difference?

In the concept of Unity. God is One indivisible and undefinable as in the traditional Christian Trinitarian belief.. The dominant Jewish, Islamic and Baha'i view of God.

The Trinitarian view may be awkwardly interpreted as united, but it remains Trinitarian defining God as three persons, and the Son of God, Jesus Christ seated on the right hand of God the Father.

BenFranklinFan

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
Could you explain what you mean by that. I know what the word "unity" means, of course, but I don't know what you mean when you say the God is "a Unity."
Rather than being 3 persons in 1 (God the father, God the son, God the holy spirit as defined at Nicea), only God the Father is God. Jesus is a human the the holy spirit is simply referring to the Father.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Rather than being 3 persons in 1 (God the father, God the son, God the holy spirit as defined at Nicea), only God the Father is God. Jesus is a human the the holy spirit is simply referring to the Father.
Thanks for the explanation! In that case, I don't believe in either the Unity or the Trinity, but in a Godhead comprised of three distinct beings, who are "one" in will, purpose, mind and heart. Of the three, the Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit only. I believe that the other two have immortal bodies of flesh and bone.

Sanzbir

They both united. What's the difference?

Unitarian doesn't mean united but it means one in regards to God's nature when compared to trinitarian which refers to three in regards to God's nature. The theological difference is whether God has three aspects or one.

Difference of course can also mean the result of a subtraction, so the difference can be literally calculated as 3 - 1 = 2. Thus, the joke of my response to you.

Sanzbir

Trying to decide on the specific attributes of God when you haven't established that he even exists at all strikes me as putting the cart before the horse.

Oh hey, look, it's that one atheist post found in response to any thread discussing any aspect of God other then existence. How predictable.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Unitarian doesn't mean united but it means one in regards to God's nature when compared to trinitarian which refers to three in regards to God's nature. The theological difference is whether God has three aspects or one.

Difference of course can also mean the result of a subtraction, so the difference can be literally calculated as 3 - 1 = 2. Thus, the joke of my response to you.

You said unity not Unitarian. Unity means a binding of two things into one. "Into one". Trinity is binding three things into one". They both explain the combining of more than one thing into one. It isn't unitarians. You have to mention that in your OP.

Just by your clarification, god is just one. Not split into one. Not unified. Not three people into one. Actually, using the word unity is somewhat repeatitive. Unity means "the state of being united or joint as a whole." What is being united? If it's more than one thing then those things (two) can be united as a whole. Trinity is three things united as a whole.

God is just one. It can't be unified. There is nothing to make into one since it is one. It isn't three. There is no two nor three to be unified into one. Just one.​

What's the difference?
heaven comes to earth:
a man carrying a suitcase walks into restaurant to eat
he is seated and is given a menu
he lays it down and looks around as other ponder what is being offered and how much the items cost
a waitress comes up to him and ask for him to make his order
he tells her he will have whatever he would that he has
the waitress points out what is on the menu
and again he tells her to bring him what she would that he have
the waitress goes into the kitchen and returns with the owner
the owner ask him what he would like to eat
he tells the owner the same
that he will accept anything he will bring him
the owner looks closely at the man and goes back into the kitchen and return after some time with a cart holding an example of everything on the menu and after pushing sever table together places all the items on the table before the man
then the owner does something he had never done before
without a single complaint and from someone he had never met before
he told the man the meal is on the house
the man at the table reached down to his suitcase and lifed it up to open it to the owner
the case was filled with cash to which the man holding it, said
because you have given me all you have
i shall give you all that i have and then the man ate a single French fry and walked out the door to meet another man that then gave him another suitcase exactly like the one he had entered the
restaurant with
the owner took the suitcase into the kitchen to ponder what he would do with money
and as the waitress passed out the untouched food items to others in the restaurant
the owner heard the back door bell ring and was greeted with a delivery man telling the owner the truck was full with pre-paid supplies he commonly used
no charge
cast your bread on the water

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
heaven comes to earth:
a man carrying a suitcase walks into restaurant to eat
he is seated and is given a menu
he lays it down and looks around as other ponder what is being offered and how much the items cost
a waitress comes up to him and ask for him to make his order
he tells her he will have whatever he would that he has
the waitress points out what is on the menu
and again he tells her to bring him what she would that he have
the waitress goes into the kitchen and returns with the owner
the owner ask him what he would like to eat
he tells the owner the same
that he will accept anything he will bring him
the owner looks closely at the man and goes back into the kitchen and return after some time with a cart holding an example of everything on the menu and after pushing sever table together places all the items on the table before the man
then the owner does something he had never done before
without a single complaint and from someone he had never met before
he told the man the meal is on the house
the man at the table reached down to his suitcase and lifed it up to open it to the owner
the case was filled with cash to which the man holding it, said
because you have given me all you have
i shall give you all that i have and then the man ate a single French fry and walked out the door to meet another man that then gave him another suitcase exactly like the one he had entered the
restaurant with
the owner took the suitcase into the kitchen to ponder what he would do with money
and as the waitress passed out the untouched food items to others in the restaurant
the owner heard the back door bell ring and was greeted with a delivery man telling the owner the truck was full with pre-paid supplies he commonly used
no charge
cast your bread on the water

An you summarize it and tell me what you are trying to say?

What am I looking for?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There is only one creator God, It is possible that there are other Gods
Jesus is the son of God and The holy spirit emanates from God and is indivisible from God.
I do not find it necessary to believe that God and Jesus are the same individual or that Jesus Acts other than with the authority of God. Jesus acknowledged God to be his superior. so there is some distinction between them.
I do not need to understand that distinction.