• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God the Father is Greater than Jesus

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
John 14:28 reads, “The Father is greater than I.” Was Jesus a lesser God? Was he equal to the Father, or was he some sort of lesser, demigod, possessing the attributes of deity and yet somehow failing to match the totality because he was a form of the Most High? or a condition of the Most High?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think Jesus was comparing his own physical form to the spirit of God. In that sense, God is greater in importance, power, and of course, range.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I think Jesus was comparing his own physical form to the spirit of God. In that sense, God is greater in importance, power, and of course, range.

so the action is everlasting but the form is not?

Ps 82:6-Ps 82:7 NIV “I said, ‘You are “gods”; you are all sons of the Most High.’ But you will die like mere mortals; you will fall like every other ruler.”

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
On a car, which is more important: the engine, the wheels, or the chassis?

Thus, the Trinity.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
On a car, which is more important: the engine, the wheels, or the chassis?

Thus, the Trinity.

we all have a part to play, yes. in the confusion, the storm, in hell, the turmoil we find self.

Ps 23:1-Ps 23:4 NIV The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

namaste

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
so the action is everlasting but the form is not?

Ps 82:6-Ps 82:7 NIV “I said, ‘You are “gods”; you are all sons of the Most High.’ But you will die like mere mortals; you will fall like every other ruler.”
If you mean the form of the physical man Jesus, yes, not everlasting. I realize some people seem to believe so, but to think so is ridiculous in my opinion.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I trust that The God The Most High has no form in case form and spirit are opposites. I think it is why the command is to make no image. The reason why is God has nothing to image.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I trust that The God The Most High has no form in case form and spirit are opposites. I think it is why the command is to make no image. The reason why is God has nothing to image.
god's two names in exodus 3:14 and 3:15 is first a verb, an action, and second a noun, named/defined.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The noun יְהוָֹה? I think they have to call it a noun because they believe it is a name. Names are nouns. I don't have to believe that it isn't also a verb.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The noun יְהוָֹה? I think they have to call it a noun because they believe it is a name. Names are nouns. I don't have to believe that it isn't also a verb.
in exodus 3:14 it's a verb, I AM.

in exodus 3:15 its a noun, Lord.

the NIV translation claims that they sound alike

1. Exodus 3:15 The Hebrew for Lord sounds like and may be related to the Hebrew for I am in verse 14.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
John 14:28 reads, “The Father is greater than I.” Was Jesus a lesser God? Was he equal to the Father, or was he some sort of lesser, demigod, possessing the attributes of deity and yet somehow failing to match the totality because he was a form of the Most High? or a condition of the Most High?

I suspect there were times Jesus felt directly connected to God and times he didn't. So sometimes he probably felt his actions, his words came directly from God and sometimes just from himself.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I suspect there were times Jesus felt directly connected to God and times he didn't. So sometimes he probably felt his actions, his words came directly from God and sometimes just from himself.
evidently so

Matthew 27:46
And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Mark 15:34
And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
evidently so

Matthew 27:46
And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Mark 15:34
And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

I can understand a person thinking they are doing God's will. I and God are one, of one mind, one will. Whether true or not, I can understand a person feeling that way. I don't think that necessarily means they are claiming to be God. Perhaps a vessel for God's will. However a vessel that retains a will of its own.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I can understand a person thinking they are doing God's will. I and God are one, of one mind, one will. Whether true or not, I can understand a person feeling that way. I don't think that necessarily means they are claiming to be God. Perhaps a vessel for God's will. However a vessel that retains a will of its own.

the bible implies that it created the vessel for itself to inhabit

Jer 23:23-Jer 23:27 KJV Am I a God at hand, saith the Lord, and not a God afar off? Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord. I have heard what the prophets said, that prophesy lies in my name, saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed. How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart; Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I'll go with Jesus was a chip off the old block.